Just got my first squonk!! Took 8 tried to build a coil lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark M

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2018
London UK
Thanks shall check the batteries again later when with my mods. So if I stay as I am would i be safer at 35 to 40 watts?

Also i can def order one of those batteries but the mesh builds at anything from 0.15 to 0.20 but average 0.17, would the battery you suggest still be safer in this range and enable me to go to 45/more safely? Finally again if I stick at 30 to 40 ad i am is that safe? Is there a way to keep the wotofo mesh and just lower wattage and be as safe as you can be? Many thanks and shall send exact battery details later, cheers

Reactions: madstabber

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
With regulated mods, the coil isn't directly attached to the battery, so the worse case figures I quoted are just that. With a 20A battery, @Mooch seems to think 45W is optimal on a regulated mod.

I wouldn't get too hung up on it, if you were using a mech mod I'd be concerned about your safety at those settings, but a regulated mod gives you a lot more leeway. Your battery life in use might not be ideal, and they may not last as long (lifetime wise), but I don't think it is dangerous as such. It is always handy to know ohms law, as it gives you a good ballpark figure to aim for (and easier to remember than the formula for reg mods wattage) ;) .

Using Mooch's formula, the current drawn on a regulated mod is the following under these circumstances:

45W: Battery amps = 45/3.2/0.9 = 15.62A
60W: Battery amps = 60/3.2/0.9 = 20.83A
100W: Battery amps = 100/3.2/0.9 = 34.72A

The warning signs to look out for is if the mod starts to get really warm/hot, this suggests the battery is getting stressed.

If it were me and I was vaping with that setup, I'd get a set of 30A batteries, if what you've got is rated less than 25A. Some might suggest I'm being over cautious, but I can only suggest what I would do myself.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Thsnks So if the mesh coil build reads between 0.15 and 0.20 ohms but i keep it below 35 watts is that safe and ok?

Would 40 watts be back in the danger zone?
I was gonna say you could get a Squonk mod that uses a single 21700. That’s what I have, all my single cell mods use 21700 because they have good life with higher amps, but you have the beautiful squonker so I’m sure you want to use it. Old graybeard has given you good advice and I’d just add that you are right on they border with your current setup but it’s regulated so it’s a very slim chance you’d have a therma runaway situation. Most likely you will just have to get batteries sooner because they’re being stressed. But getting some batteries that handle more amps is the way to go but in the meantime I wouldn’t be concerned vaping your current setup.

Reactions: Mark M

Mark M

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2018
London UK
I cant wait it at .15 ohms it fluctuates with each build averaging at .17ohms...
It all depends dn the manufacturer, and the exact type of battery you are using, Mark. If you look on the side, it should have a type number.

45W is a bit high for most single batteries at that resistance, and 60W definitely too much IMO. My back of a ... packet calculations puts you right on the maximum rating of the very common Samsung 25R at 0.18 ohms /3.6V nominal charge (Current = Voltage/Resistance, 3.6/0.18 = 20), which has a CDR of 20A. I'd strongly recommend a Samsung 20S (or equivalent), which has a CDR of 30A. You would have a much bigger safety margin then, but without knowing the exact battery you have it is hard to explicitly confirm if you should be worried. You could also increase your mesh resistance to 0.20 Ohms or above, which would give you a load of 18A or less, not ideal, but better.

So yes, the other site is on the right track, although not knowing exactly when that was written does muddy the picture a bit, the 20S is fairly new.
Hi my shop has good quality 35 amp 18650 batteries, would this be better? I can shop around for 30amp if best.

Many thanks,

Mark

Mark M

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2018
London UK
Thanks is 35 amp 18750 better?

Many thanks,

Mark

I was gonna say you could get a Squonk mod that uses a single 21700. That’s what I have, all my single cell mods use 21700 because they have good life with higher amps, but you have the beautiful squonker so I’m sure you want to use it. Old graybeard has given you good advice and I’d just add that you are right on they border with your current setup but it’s regulated so it’s a very slim chance you’d have a therma runaway situation. Most likely you will just have to get batteries sooner because they’re being stressed. But getting some batteries that handle more amps is the way to go but in the meantime I wouldn’t be concerned vaping your current setup.

Mark M

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2018
London UK
This is what im using now
20190215_181845.jpg
20190215_181845.jpg

Yes,this is the higher CDR 18650 in the market.with this battery you can use your regulated device up to 85W
great thanks! Can I still use the profile mesh?

Attachments

• 20190215_181845.jpg
    20190215_181845.jpg
    663.1 KB · Views: 4

Mark M

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2018
London UK
That's a relief many thanks, so it's great and the Samsung is better in case wanted to go higher?

And would you say as long as ohms on my mesh coil builds reads 0.15 to 0.20 im safe? Average is 0.17 they are quoted at 0.18 but ad new and a bit panicky unless they are 0.17 to 0.19 been throwing them away.

I'm very grateful for all your help.

Especially as just brought two of these mods!

The other arrived today
20190215_192521.jpg
20190215_192505.jpg

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
That's a relief many thanks, so it's great and the Samsung is better in case wanted to go higher?

And would you say as long as ohms on my mesh coil builds reads 0.15 to 0.20 im safe? Average is 0.17 they are quoted at 0.18 but ad new and a bit panicky unless they are 0.17 to 0.19 been throwing them away.

I'm very grateful for all your help.

Especially as just brought two of these mods!

The other arrived today View attachment 798505 View attachment 798507
Beautiful mod ya got there. As long as your mesh ohms 0.1 and above you’re fine. No need to worry if you drop below 0.15, your mod has protection built in. Just use common sense, if your mod is getting hot, stop. All the news stories you read about mods blowing up are mech mods that are being used improper with crap batteries. It really is harder then you think to blow up a mod. Or just really bad luck. It’s good you are being cautious and you are getting good advice to learn from. The more knowledge you have the more comfortable you will be. 6 months from now you are gonna look back and laugh that you were getting worried over nothing.

Mark M

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2018
London UK
Many thanks!!
The only weird thing that is happening now on this DNA75c chip is that I will test the coil on my coil master and it will say for instance 0.19ohm, and then I screw it on the mod and it then says, did you just put on a new 0.24 coil? (or atomiser) so the mod reads it higher ohms than then coil master. I click "yes" and crack on, is this OK too? Many thanks again! Mark

Beautiful mod ya got there. As long as your mesh ohms 0.1 and above you’re fine. No need to worry if you drop below 0.15, your mod has protection built in. Just use common sense, if your mod is getting hot, stop. All the news stories you read about mods blowing up are mech mods that are being used improper with crap batteries. It really is harder then you think to blow up a mod. Or just really bad luck. It’s good you are being cautious and you are getting good advice to learn from. The more knowledge you have the more comfortable you will be. 6 months from now you are gonna look back and laugh that you were getting worried over nothing.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Many thanks!!
The only weird thing that is happening now on this DNA75c chip is that I will test the coil on my coil master and it will say for instance 0.19ohm, and then I screw it on the mod and it then says, did you just put on a new 0.24 coil? (or atomiser) so the mod reads it higher ohms than then coil master. I click "yes" and crack on, is this OK too? Many thanks again! Mark
Yea that’s nothing to worry about. Many resistance testers aren’t very accurate. Out of the two you’re using I’d be inclined to trust the mod with the dna chip over a coil master meter: but again nothing to worry about.

Mark M

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2018
London UK
Yea that’s nothing to worry about. Many resistance testers aren’t very accurate. Out of the two you’re using I’d be inclined to trust the mod with the dna chip over a coil master meter: but again nothing to worry about.
Great many thanks again, starting to relax a little lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread