Just had a battery vent!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavere

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2013
Utah
So I went golfing with some buddies today and as usual emptied my pockets in the front cubby of the golf cart. Which I forgot but included an 18490 battery as a backup for my provari. After the round out everything back in my pocket and started walking back to the car. On the outside of my shorts I felt something very hot and initially thought my provari was about to blow! I threw everything out of my pocket and saw the battery on the ground and thankfully realized I was ok and that my provari was too. Minus some burns that are on the bottom cap mostly.

If anyone does not think twice about batteries the coins and keys in the same pocket were too hot to pick up a couple minutes later still. I was negligent and stupid frankly in my carelessness. But just a warning to others not to leave your batteries exposed to not just sunlight but heat as well.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
Good point, and the reason I have a little nylon pouch (originally sold to keep a roll of doggy doo-doo clean up bags in) to put my spare battery in when I'm going out. Keeps it form accidentally making contact with keys, coins and the like. As for my Provari, I use protanks so, it has a belt holster to keep it safe.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Trustfire2.jpg pink-purple BB.jpg

Above is a pic of a Trustfire 14500 protected battery that "vented" in a BB mechanical mod, as shown in the second pic. Note the protruding horn-style power button on the BB's. The power button became compressed in a pants pocket of a pair of shorts hanging in my locker at work. The continuous firing of the battery caused it to hard short in thermal runaway.

When I went to my locker to pull out my mod, it was too hot to touch. I quickly got a wet wash cloth to protect my fingers and removed the mod from the pants pocket and carefully removed the battery. At this point I could see that both ends of the battery had been blown out and the plastic casing had melted. I could also detect a strong burning/chemical smell. The cloth of the pocket had been singed black from the heat. The mod performed as it was designed to; it has no vent holes but it did vent the hot gasses produced via the power switch (which had to be replaced) and the hot spring had collapsed.

In hindsight, if I chose to carry the mod in a pocket, I needed to either remove the battery or to remove the juice delivery device so there could be no continuation of battery current which could lead to a short circuited battery.

In addition, a Vape Safe mod fuse likely would have prevented this mishap from occuring - http://www.thevapesafe.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=163

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Glad to hear that your moment of absentmindedness didn't result in any injury or damage.

There's a guy in Panama City, FL who will likely be permanently disfigured for life because of a battery venting in a mod with no weak points and no place for the gases to escape. Lost part of his jaw and some of his teeth.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Whew pretty close to the family Jules! Lesson learned hu? Im glad nothing was lost except a battery and your ok.
here is a nice little European style battery case, Its not a Purse!!!;-) Battery Cases : Nylon Battery Case w/ Carabiner

Thanks for posting this mishap so other might learn from your mistake. You get a big atta boy for that!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread