The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

My Ego spinner battery exploded

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Frankster79, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. klynnn

klynnn Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2012
    prattville
    I want to see the pictures.

2. Caridwen

Caridwen ECF Moderator Senior Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 15, 2011
    Really frightening! I've had batteries that wouldn't turn off- mostly when they were old and on their last leg.

If you have the opportunity, do you think you could fill this out? Thanks!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/forms.php?do=form&fid=8

3. Jenn Perry

Jenn Perry Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    The spinners do have a 10 sec shutoff so man that's scary as I have 2 spinners that I gave to hubby but they aren't older than a month.

4. omyeyes

omyeyes Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Las Vapors, NV
    That would have scared the crap out of me! Glad you're okay!
    I went to bed one night and left a battery on a charger in the kitchen. 1:30 in the morning....I thought I got shot!!! Flames, black ashes and a total mess. These things are definitely dangerous!

5. DetraMental

DetraMental Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2013
    United States
    WoW, that is scary. I'm glad you're ok. I will definitely keep a close eye on all my eGo style batteries.

6. Nikkita6

Nikkita6 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 7, 2011
    New York
    :ohmy:Thank goodness you didn't get hurt ... I have heard of an Ego battery exploding, but the story I most recently heard of happened while the battery was charging. I can only imagine how startled you were.

7. Tinkiegrrl

Tinkiegrrl Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    Glad to hear you are okay OP. Never had one blow on me, and I've used cheap, generic, 650 mAh, variable volt, passthrough batteries that come with an Evod at ivape,net. $15 set up, but my hubby did get one with a stuck button unfortunately. Best to make sure you get genuine products when you buy, and even gnat, as with all batteries, even those in your phone, can malfunction. Lipo is still one of the safest batteries put there. Bummer about yours. Don't be discouraged though. It's still safer then smoking I'm sure.

If you're down a battery, you may want to look I to the iTaste VVv3" very good reviews, and you can vape with watts, volts, and has a built in ohm reader, all packed into an ego sized device. Some os the best purchases I made. So much so that hubby and I fight for them!

8. grandmato5

grandmato5 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    WNY
    Glad you noticed it and were able to get rid of it before it could do any damage. Most of us will never experience a battery going bad, but it happens once in a while and could happen to any of us. That's why we all need to be aware and take as much care as possible with our batteries, no matter what kind we are using to vape with.

9. certus11

certus11 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 17, 2014
    usa
    My paranoia may have been justified...I almost bought some spinners so many times but never did.
    I simply did not trust the mechanics behind spinners; spin it up, spin it down? Nahhhhhh
    So instead, I tried a few standard EGOs to see which works best and on what ohm and I ended up having 3 EGO-T 1300mah and 2 EGO-T 650 mah as my main batteries. As for ohm, I found out that 2.2 works best with EGO-T when coupled with my protank-IIs and protank-II Minis.

10. certus11

Jan 17, 2014
    usa
    Thank You OP and thank You Btsmokincat. Now I know I will use/buy EGO-Ts till manufacturers run out of stock.

11. Visus

Visus Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    Yup, if everything is in order it is, they are supposedly only to swell like a balloon if faulted, not explode into a fiery doom, that happens only if the protective foil cover is somehow damaged and inside an ego thats rather difficult but every worker has a bad monday..

12. certus11

Jan 17, 2014
    usa
    I don't think Chinese workers get the weekends off...So they actually don't get bad mondays.

ughhh should I post this????the hell

13. Rickajho

Rickajho ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    Are you sure that's the right charger to be using here? Cigalike 510's and eGo size batteries don't use the same charger.

What does the ratings plate on the charger dongle read? If it doesn't read DC Output 4.2 V, 420 mA you may have just found out why your battery eventually exploded.

14. Frankster79

Frankster79 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 15, 2011
    Norway
    It says on the back of the charger : Model : USB-A , Input 5v. Output 4.2v - 420mA

15. NicoHolic

NicoHolic Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 13, 2013
    USA
    Was the battery locked before you put it in your pocket?

16. Frankster79

Frankster79 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 15, 2011
    Norway
    No it wasnt locked, but should have cut off before getting too hot.
    I Haven't looked into a new setup in the longest time since i've been happy with what i got.
    Think I'll go for the provari since i already have 2 barely used aw 18650 batteries and the trustfire TR-001 charger.
    From what i gather I can use those batteries with the extension cap.
    I have a lavatube laying around,but it wont fire my kanger protank,guess i will need some sort of thread extension for that.

17. crxess

crxess Grumpy Ole Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Sounds like a Circuit board malfunction.
    10 second protection means nothing of the unit starts pulse firing.
    You can take Draw after Draw for as long as the battery will hold out just by pulsing the switch before 10 seconds with most of the Ego style batteries.

I have had one that on receipt was dead, on charge attempt The light would stay on and battery continue output.
    Just drain itself back to dead. Never attempted to use it.
    Another that would start firing as soon as any topper was attached.
    Both were the same Brand/Size/Color - Riva :glare:

Lava tube - Add one of these to resolve center pin contact issue:
    AirFlow.jpg
    Air Flow Controller -
    Works for short pin issues
    Damaged 510 threading
    Air Flow adjustment

18. patkin

patkin Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Arizona USA
    Dang I just got a Spinner and am afraid to use it now. As I thought about trying to return it (not), it made me wonder why we don't hear about B&M stores burning to the ground with all the batteries they must have in storage. It also made me wonder about how expensive their insuance must be.

19. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I had a Trustfire protected ICR 14500 battery explode in my first mechanical mod.

Trustfire2.jpg

These are all Li-ion batteries, ICR battery chemistry is a volatile (flamable) chemistry, which means when they short out they can in rare cases emit hot gas with flames (not so rare if it happens to you). If the buildup of gas doesn't have a way to vent off, the device can explode. Normally you'll notice the heat produced before that happens.

Statistically, most battery incidents happen while charging and when the fire button gets stuck in the "on" position. This is why recommendations are to not charge a battery overnight while you're sleeping (unattentive) or while away from home. Charge your batteries on a flame-proof surface. Also turn the battery off (5 quick clicks on a Spinner) when you put it in your pocket or purse (don't depend upon the auto-shut-off time-out feature to always work).

Li-ion batteries are used in other devices other than for vaping. Cell phones, laptops, and high-power flashlights use the same chemistry batteries and you don't read or hear about these batteries going thermal that often, but they can.

My guess is the structural integrity of the battery, wiring, or circuit board was somehow compomised in the eGo Spinner in question, allowing a short to occur.

20. Ohms Lawbreaker

Ohms Lawbreaker Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Right Behind You
    With the right combination of circumstances or simply "accidents," all safety systems can fail. Even with stories like this I'm still fascinated how safe many technological devices are.

But like astronauts say, "It's not the explosion that made for a rough trip, it's the ten million little things that led up to it and all the safety features that failed in unimaginable and improbable ways. Otherwise, things are always a Go." Or "eGo," as the case may be. (Obviously, Vulcans have not conquered the art of the pun.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.