Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Been vaping since back in Ocober 2011.
Today at work my e-cig-battery exploded in my chest pocket, leaving a big hole in the shirt.
I had used it maybe 5-10 minutes earlier before putting it back in my chest pocket,where i always keep it at work.
At the time nothing felt wrong with it,wasn't hot or anything.

It was like a firecracker going off, I didn't know what was going on, i got it out of my shirt,and the battery was too hot to hold.
It split in in half at the top,and a lot of smoke came off it, Threw both the tank and the battery off the rain,was too startled to take a picture first.
I didn't get hurt, just shaved a year or two off my life i think.
Im using the EGO-spinner battery together with the Protank
Luckily i have backups.
Not sure how old the battery was, i cycle through 3 batteries,but it was no older than 6 months.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Really frightening! I've had batteries that wouldn't turn off- mostly when they were old and on their last leg.

If you have the opportunity, do you think you could fill this out? Thanks!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/forms.php?do=form&fid=8

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Glad to hear you are okay OP. Never had one blow on me, and I've used cheap, generic, 650 mAh, variable volt, passthrough batteries that come with an Evod at ivape,net. $15 set up, but my hubby did get one with a stuck button unfortunately. Best to make sure you get genuine products when you buy, and even gnat, as with all batteries, even those in your phone, can malfunction. Lipo is still one of the safest batteries put there. Bummer about yours. Don't be discouraged though. It's still safer then smoking I'm sure.

If you're down a battery, you may want to look I to the iTaste VVv3" very good reviews, and you can vape with watts, volts, and has a built in ohm reader, all packed into an ego sized device. Some os the best purchases I made. So much so that hubby and I fight for them!

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
Glad you noticed it and were able to get rid of it before it could do any damage. Most of us will never experience a battery going bad, but it happens once in a while and could happen to any of us. That's why we all need to be aware and take as much care as possible with our batteries, no matter what kind we are using to vape with.

certus11

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
usa
My paranoia may have been justified...I almost bought some spinners so many times but never did.
I simply did not trust the mechanics behind spinners; spin it up, spin it down? Nahhhhhh
So instead, I tried a few standard EGOs to see which works best and on what ohm and I ended up having 3 EGO-T 1300mah and 2 EGO-T 650 mah as my main batteries. As for ohm, I found out that 2.2 works best with EGO-T when coupled with my protank-IIs and protank-II Minis.

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Glad to hear you are okay OP. Never had one blow on me, and I've used cheap, generic, 650 mAh, variable volt, passthrough batteries that come with an Evod at ivape,net. $15 set up, but my hubby did get one with a stuck button unfortunately. Best to make sure you get genuine products when you buy, and even gnat, as with all batteries, even those in your phone, can malfunction. Lipo is still one of the safest batteries put there. Bummer about yours. Don't be discouraged though. It's still safer then smoking I'm sure.

If you're down a battery, you may want to look I to the iTaste VVv3" very good reviews, and you can vape with watts, volts, and has a built in ohm reader, all packed into an ego sized device. Some os the best purchases I made. So much so that hubby and I fight for them!

Yup, if everything is in order it is, they are supposedly only to swell like a balloon if faulted, not explode into a fiery doom, that happens only if the protective foil cover is somehow damaged and inside an ego thats rather difficult but every worker has a bad monday..

certus11

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
usa
I don't think Chinese workers get the weekends off...So they actually don't get bad mondays.

ughhh should I post this????the hell

Yup, if everything is in order it is, they are supposedly only to swell like a balloon if faulted, not explode into a fiery doom, that happens only if the protective foil cover is somehow damaged and inside an ego thats rather difficult but every worker has a bad monday..

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
The charger im using is the same i used for my riva 510's,and sold on the same page as the ego batteries.

Are you sure that's the right charger to be using here? Cigalike 510's and eGo size batteries don't use the same charger.

What does the ratings plate on the charger dongle read? If it doesn't read DC Output 4.2 V, 420 mA you may have just found out why your battery eventually exploded.

Frankster79

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2011
Norway
Are you sure that's the right charger to be using here? Cigalike 510's and eGo size batteries don't use the same charger.

What does the ratings plate on the charger dongle read? If it doesn't read DC Output 4.2 V, 420 mA you may have just found out why your battery eventually exploded.

It says on the back of the charger : Model : USB-A , Input 5v. Output 4.2v - 420mA

Frankster79

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2011
Norway
No it wasnt locked, but should have cut off before getting too hot.
I Haven't looked into a new setup in the longest time since i've been happy with what i got.
Think I'll go for the provari since i already have 2 barely used aw 18650 batteries and the trustfire TR-001 charger.
From what i gather I can use those batteries with the extension cap.
I have a lavatube laying around,but it wont fire my kanger protank,guess i will need some sort of thread extension for that.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Sounds like a Circuit board malfunction.
10 second protection means nothing of the unit starts pulse firing.
You can take Draw after Draw for as long as the battery will hold out just by pulsing the switch before 10 seconds with most of the Ego style batteries.

I have had one that on receipt was dead, on charge attempt The light would stay on and battery continue output.
Just drain itself back to dead. Never attempted to use it.
Another that would start firing as soon as any topper was attached.
Both were the same Brand/Size/Color - Riva :glare:

Lava tube - Add one of these to resolve center pin contact issue:
AirFlow.jpg
Air Flow Controller -
Works for short pin issues
Damaged 510 threading
Air Flow adjustment

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I had a Trustfire protected ICR 14500 battery explode in my first mechanical mod.

Trustfire2.jpg

These are all Li-ion batteries, ICR battery chemistry is a volatile (flamable) chemistry, which means when they short out they can in rare cases emit hot gas with flames (not so rare if it happens to you). If the buildup of gas doesn't have a way to vent off, the device can explode. Normally you'll notice the heat produced before that happens.

Statistically, most battery incidents happen while charging and when the fire button gets stuck in the "on" position. This is why recommendations are to not charge a battery overnight while you're sleeping (unattentive) or while away from home. Charge your batteries on a flame-proof surface. Also turn the battery off (5 quick clicks on a Spinner) when you put it in your pocket or purse (don't depend upon the auto-shut-off time-out feature to always work).

Li-ion batteries are used in other devices other than for vaping. Cell phones, laptops, and high-power flashlights use the same chemistry batteries and you don't read or hear about these batteries going thermal that often, but they can.

My guess is the structural integrity of the battery, wiring, or circuit board was somehow compomised in the eGo Spinner in question, allowing a short to occur.

Last edited:

Ohms Lawbreaker

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
Right Behind You
With the right combination of circumstances or simply "accidents," all safety systems can fail. Even with stories like this I'm still fascinated how safe many technological devices are.

But like astronauts say, "It's not the explosion that made for a rough trip, it's the ten million little things that led up to it and all the safety features that failed in unimaginable and improbable ways. Otherwise, things are always a Go." Or "eGo," as the case may be. (Obviously, Vulcans have not conquered the art of the pun.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread