Just joined, new to vape, need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

David America

Dec 13, 2018
NC
Hello everyone, 1st time diy juice mixer and it smells great bu very little flavor and strong bitter after taste like bad burnt coil. new prince stick and coil. 50/50 and 6 nic. all tfa, 7% berry cereal, 5% french vanilla cream dx, 3% strawberry ripe, 3% fruit rings, 3% sweetener and 3 day steep. Please help, Thank you.

Last edited:

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Hi and welcome to ECF.
3% sweetener is kind of a lot. Can definitely burn up on coils quick. A 50/50 mix seems like it would be thin for that tank and could cause flooding or leaking issues, but I'm not very familiar with that tank myself.
Are you familiar with breathing eliquid? It can get rid of alcohols and chemical flavors that are in the flavorings. Squeeze all the air out of the bottles a few times, shake, and repeat, once a day for a few days.
Finally, are you sure you measured your nicotine and other ingredients correctly? Too much of either could cause the issues you are describing.

David America

Dec 13, 2018
NC
Hi and welcome to ECF.
3% sweetener is kind of a lot. Can definitely burn up on coils quick. A 50/50 mix seems like it would be thin for that tank and could cause flooding or leaking issues, but I'm not very familiar with that tank myself.
Are you familiar with breathing eliquid? It can get rid of alcohols and chemical flavors that are in the flavorings. Squeeze all the air out of the bottles a few times, shake, and repeat, once a day for a few days.
Finally, are you sure you measured your nicotine and other ingredients correctly? Too much of either could cause the issues you are describing.
Thanks for the reply, yes I have done that, I should mention that I made one gallon of this, 4,000 liters......LOL True! Could that make it need to steep alot longer due to volume in a single container? Or does the total flavorings seem to high? Thanks again. correction...4,000 milliliters not liters.

Last edited:

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Thanks for the reply, yes I have done that, I should mention that I made one gallon of this, 4,000 liters......LOL True! Could that make it need to steep alot longer due to volume in a single container? Or does the total flavorings seem to high? Thanks again.
The overall percentage is pretty high but honestly a lot of commercial juice has 20% or more in flavorings and sweeteners so I don't think that is what is killing it. Your options are to steep it and breath it longer, try to fix it, or trash it. A gallon? I seriously apologize, but this needs to be a lesson learned. Unless you know it's a tried and true recipe the YOU personally will like, make small test batches, 30 ml at most. What one person loves another may hate.
Fix option. Start modifying small amounts of the liquid you have in small bottles with things like unflavored 6mg ( maybe it's too strong in flavoring this will dilute it while having the same nic value) and I don't even know what else to try...

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
@David America I should add that I am not personally experienced with the flavors you used so I don't know at what % most people are mixing them at, just guessing. But from what I know, most commercial juices are more in the 20%+ range, whereas most mixers do anywhere from 5 to 15% and most feel the less flavoring you can use the better.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I guess it would also be an option to suspect the tank, though I get the impression you are pretty sure the tank and coil are fine. Try some other juice in it (hopefully you have some you like) and if it is good and tastes like it should, then you know your mixed juice is the problem...
Still could just need more steeping.
Good luck!

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
First break the gallon down into smaller bottles. That gallon will take forever to steep. Pull off a couple 120ml bottles and a few 30ml bottles. The 120ml should be ready in a couple weeks. Play with the 30ml. 50/50 is thin for that style of tank. I would add 10ml vg to 20ml of juice for a starting point. After you find a good enough ratio then worry about adding the nic.

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
When I started vaping, I got sample packs from Vapewild and OhmsVapes. So when I started to DIY, I had a dozen 10ml bottles to experiment with my mixes. It can also give you an idea of what flavors you like and you might be surprised by what you find out.

As a smoker for going on 50 years, I only have 3 or 4 taste buds left. So I use the guideline of 20% when I do my flavor calculations (I sound so smart when I say that), but when I make the mix I multiply the flavors by 1.5. This kind of makes the juice flavor boosted and works well for me. That's the great thing about DIY, you can let your imagination run wild. If you use the 10ml bottles to experiment, you can just throw out the bad juices and the recipes and you've not lost much. Do not get discouraged when you get several juices that taste like crap cause it'll happen. It's just part of the process until you finally get the one or two you are looking for.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Since nobody else is going to, ill be that guy....why on earth did you make a whole gallon??? On your first attempt even?? My first batch of juice, 30ml, was horrible. Unvapable even. Good thing it was only 30ml. Holy cow, a whole gallon:lol:

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
One gallon ? I feel like I went too far when I mix 100ml at a time !
Maybe try 10ml samples first, then step up after you have recipes you like.
Here is a link to an old thread I posted some time ago. Try a few of these as 10ml samples, maybe you can find five or six you enjoy. Good Luck on your Vaping Journey.

Recipes for Dummies

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Hello everyone, 1st time diy juice mixer and it smells great bu very little flavor and strong bitter after taste like bad burnt coil. new prince stick and coil. Please help, Thank you.
I might offer a suggestion since you are new to vaping. You are extremely limited per your gear setup. The SMOK Prince Stick is nothing more than a glorified mechanical mod with some protection circuitry. It is a "fixed" power output battery device, meaning it doesn't have variable voltage or variable wattage. Quite often, changing the wattage setting to the heating coil can turn an unsatisfactory flavor into an enjoyable flavor. Some flavors taste better at a lower wattage, others taste better with a higher wattage. With your current setup you have no options to change the flavor by adjusting the power output.

Using your SMOK Prince Stick is like cooking on a campfire: One temperature setting. If you use a mod that uses variable wattage, you'll be cooking with an adjustable gas stove. Variable wattage is explained in the below video about half way through.

PatVapes

Dec 11, 2018
Lima, Peru
@Baditude that is perhaps the best advice anyone can give to people just starting to vape! I almost gave up on vaping and buying juice when I first started because not all flavors were as satisfying on my pen. Then when I learnt wattage is important everything changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread