Just joined, new to vape, need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
@Baditude that is perhaps the best advice anyone can give to people just starting to vape! I almost gave up on vaping and buying juice when I first started because not all flavors were as satisfying on my pen. Then when I learnt wattage is important everything changed
My first vaping devices were cigalikes, and then a mech mod. Both were fixed output battery devices. When I purchased my first variable voltage mod, it was a gamechanger because I could adjust the power output to the juice attachment which enhanced my flavors and vapor output. Thanks for sharing your experience which validates my point.

PatVapes

Dec 11, 2018
Lima, Peru
My first vaping devices were cigalikes, and then a mech mod. Both were fixed output battery devices. When I purchased my first variable voltage mod, it was a gamechanger because I could adjust the power output to the juice attachment which enhanced my flavors and vapor output. Thanks for sharing your experience which validates my point.

I think it would be much more pleasurable for people if all or at least most vape shops offered the possibility to try out what you’re going to buy. At least here I only know of two shops which let you try out their juices but you can’t try out and the mods/tanks/coils and all of those are game changers.

This saddens me because my uncle whom I live with smokes a lot. We are part Japanese and he’s lived in japan for a long time. He’s a hardcore smoker and he’s having trouble breathing and walking. Just living in general. I figured I’d buy him my same pen since I liked it at the time and he got into it for a few weeks. Now he’s given up on it because he says it hurts his throat. The nicotine level was wrong for him, the device was wrong and the juice was wrong. But he’s stubborn and old and I feel it’s too late persuade him into trying something different now and I kind of blame it on lack of information at shops as well as no possibility to try out different stuff that could better suit your needs.

Sorry for my rant lol

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Welcome to ecf :) Think of it like this you'll never make a mistake this bad again because you have lots of friendly advice to source here. Definitely get yourself a variable wattage device...something like a vaporesso polar or swag. The cascade baby tank by vaporesso has a great flavour and the coils last a long time. With regard to your liquid others have said it but a dilution is about your only option and then maybe you can add some different flavourings to make something more vapeable.....good luck to you..:D

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I think it would be much more pleasurable for people if all or at least most vape shops offered the possibility to try out what you’re going to buy. At least here I only know of two shops which let you try out their juices but you can’t try out and the mods/tanks/coils and all of those are game changers.
Your idea of demo devices in vape shops is a good one, however realistically, it will never happen. Vape shops can't afford to have a demo of every device they sell. That would be cost prohibitive. And with new gear coming on the market every few weeks, it would be even more cost prohibitive.

Most vape shop employees will allow you to try their personal setups upon the asking. The drip tip can be exchanged with your own, or, most shops have plastic condoms to place over the drip tip to be hygienic.

It's too bad about your uncle. A good shop would have gotten the nic strength right. They would have also recommended a mouth-to-lung tank that would better replicate smoking a cigarette. Too often most shops cater to the hardcore, cloudchaser crowd and don't carry or recommend gear more suited to a beginner.

Our vape setups are very personal items that we use throughout the day. There are no "right" setups that will fit every single individual's needs. Most of us on this forum have used 4 - 12 different setups before we found the setup that best suited our personal individual needs. Often, we don't really know WHAT we like until we try a few out to discover our personal preferences.

Last edited:

PatVapes

Dec 11, 2018
Lima, Peru
Your idea of demo devices in vape shops is a good one, however realistically, it will never happen. Vape shops can't afford to have a demo of every device they sell. That would be cost prohibitive. And with new gear coming on the market every few weeks, it would be even more cost prohibitive.

Most vape shop employees will allow you to try their personal setups upon the asking. The drip tip can be exchanged with your own, or, most shops have plastic condoms to place over the drip tip to be hygienic.

It's too bad about your uncle. A good shop would have gotten the nic strength right. They would have also recommended a mouth-to-lung tank that would better replicate smoking a cigarette. Too often most shops cater to the hardcore, cloudchaser crowd and don't carry or recommend gear more suited to a beginner.

Our vape setups are very personal items that we use throughout the day. There are no "right" setups that will fit every single individuals needs. Most of us on this forum have used 4 - 12 different setups before we found the setup that best suited our personal individual needs.

I know it would be unrealistic, but at least they should offer like, different options so you can see the differences. For example, a generic pen vs a box. On Monday when I went juice hunting, I spent a while at the juice bar but the flavor I felt on their mod/tank vs mine was completely different.

There are a lot of complications, I know. But I think we could come up with better things to offer to leave clients satisfied. At least here devices are not cheap at all. I’ve spent about 200 dollars on a mod, plus batteries and coils. Might not be a lot to you, but when you earn around 800 dollars per month it kinda hurts

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I know it would be unrealistic, but at least they should offer like, different options so you can see the differences. For example, a generic pen vs a box. On Monday when I went juice hunting, I spent a while at the juice bar but the flavor I felt on their mod/tank vs mine was completely different.
Something that would help would be if consumers did some research on their own prior to making a purchase. Choosing a personal vape device is not like choosing a toaster or microwave off of the shelf. Choosing a vape device requires factoring in many more things than a household appliance.

ECF is a great resource to learn terminology and ask veterans their take on gear and offer suggestions for issues. That's the reason I wrote my blogs for beginners...to educate new folks about terminology, gear choices, etc.

EVERY juice delivery device will deliver flavor and vapor differently. Most juice bars that offer sampling will use 0% nicotine. That same juice flavor may taste differently with nicotine added.

That's one advantage to using a rebuildable drip atomizer. You can sample multiple flavors in one sitting, with your own gear.

Last edited:

PatVapes

Dec 11, 2018
Lima, Peru
Something that would help would be if consumers did some research on their own prior to making a purchase. Choosing a personal vape device is not like choosing a toaster or microwave off of the shelf. Choosing a vape device requires factoring in many more things than a household appliance.

ECF is a great resource to learn terminology and ask veterans their take on gear and offer suggestions for issues. That's the reason I wrote my blogs for beginners...to educate new folks about terminology, gear choices, etc.

EVERY juice delivery device will deliver flavor and vapor differently. Most juice bars that offer sampling will use 0% nicotine. That same juice may taste differently with nicotine added.

That’s right and I completely agree. I had read a bit and I had seen some videos because that’s what I usually do every time I have to buy any type of tech. Sadly not all people are the same and some of them DO need someone at the store to help them. Also, it’s not the same to read about and see someone react as opposed to actually feeling the differences, you know?

I know I’m a dreamer, it will probably never happen :p

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
That’s right and I completely agree. I had read a bit and I had seen some videos because that’s what I usually do every time I have to buy any type of tech. Sadly not all people are the same and some of them DO need someone at the store to help them. Also, it’s not the same to read about and see someone react as opposed to actually feeling the differences, you know?
When I worked in a vape shop a few years ago, I tried to spend as much time as needed with a customer. However, if we were busy, my time was limited to about 10 minutes per customer. Management mandated.

We were allowed to show customers only one mod or tank at a time, for I guess security reasons. They were allowed to hold and handle the gear, but not vape it.

Last edited:

PatVapes

Dec 11, 2018
Lima, Peru
When I worked in a vape shop a few years ago, I tried to spend as much time as needed with a customer. However, if we were busy, my time was limited to about 10 minutes per customer. Management mandated.

We were allowed to show customers only one mod or tank at a time, for I guess security reasons. They were allowed to hold and handle the gear, but not vape it.

Here they’re really relaxed and they do spend as much time needed with you. The problem I think is that they don’t know much about what they sell. Sometimes I’ve been to stores where they either didnt give me any new information or I knew more than them *shrug* I guess that’s normal considering the “vape scene” has really grown only in the last two years or so

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The problem I think is that they don’t know much about what they sell. Sometimes I’ve been to stores where they either didnt give me any new information or I knew more than them *shrug*
At our shop, young adults (especially younger attractive females) were often hired even if they weren't experienced vapors. They were expected to teach themselves about vaping at night after work by going onto the internet. I seriously doubt that many did that. There were usually a couple of vape knowledgeable sales staff working at any point in time. However, everyone on the sales staff was part time, making minimum wage without benefits unless they were a manager. Not much incentive to become an expert on vaping. I'm the older guy on the far right

11214056_10155806435170302_6029059998828214489_n.jpg

Last edited:

David America

Dec 13, 2018
NC
OK, OK, guess I deserve that. So here it is fellas. I smoked 2.5 packs a day for 35 years. Dr. sent me for x rays and MRI. I was diagnosised with COPD and worse pulmonary fibrosis. Dr. said 1 year to live, last 6 months will be bad. I quit smoking that day, and kept a jaw full of dip as to not go nuts from withdraw and never returned to the Dr.. I prayed, that was almost 3 years ago now. So about a month ago I started getting sores on my gums,"can't win right" . So I see all theese "darn kids" with there vapes lol . So I get one, and stop dipping, and my gums heal in a few days, and I go back to the Dr. at my grandkids demand and 2 years past the death date. New Dr. tells me I am fine and that the first Dr. was either a nut, or scaring me into quitting smoking. So I'm a hillbilly from NC mountians and we can our own food, make our own wine etc. a year worth at a time and have it done lol. PS. I never did die and am working out and even jogging now. Thats the reason for the gallon batch lol "got me a years worth in canning jars put for hard times" lol

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
OK, OK, guess I deserve that. So here it is fellas. I smoked 2.5 packs a day for 35 years. Dr. sent me for x rays and MRI. I was diagnosised with COPD and worse pulmonary fibrosis. Dr. said 1 year to live, last 6 months will be bad. I quit smoking that day, and kept a jaw full of dip as to not go nuts from withdraw and never returned to the Dr.. I prayed, that was almost 3 years ago now. So about a month ago I started getting sores on my gums,"can't win right" . So I see all theese "darn kids" with there vapes lol . So I get one, and stop dipping, and my gums heal in a few days, and I go back to the Dr. at my grandkids demand and 2 years past the death date. New Dr. tells me I am fine and that the first Dr. was either a nut, or scaring me into quitting smoking. So I'm a hillbilly from NC mountians and we can our own food, make our own wine etc. a year worth at a time and have it done lol. PS. I never did die and am working out and even jogging now. Thats the reason for the gallon batch lol "got me a years worth in canning jars put for hard times" lol

I'm in southwest Virginia here in the mountains, but a solid majority of the forum membership does DIY no matter where they are from. (we dont like government overreach around here)

However, we buy flavorings, our PG and VG, our Nicotine and ejuice bottles in bulk, but store it all separate and mix in smaller amounts as we need.

Many of us have 10+ years worth of nicotine in our freezers etc. but mixing in smaller amounts gives you the option of having more flavors, plus mixed ejuice has a shelf life that is far shorter than storing separate.

As Papaw said, go to his recipe thread he linked, very simple recipes there..

Other than that Letitia and others have given you good advice for fixing your juice..

But no worries. I get it.. :) your just excited and like preparing - nothing wrong with that darling.

Last edited:

David America

Dec 13, 2018
NC
[I have been trying to find info on a good full rda vape set, but every online video or sight I find is 2 to 5 years old and the items are no longer available in 2018 or they only show the atomizer and not the mod. Does it work with a 510 pin? How many watts do I need? Do I need to build sub ohm coils or does it work best around 1.8 ohm? They never tell, Just 50 year old tatted up supper guaged ear dudes with 80`s hair metal blaring in the background while on a red bull roid rage begging you to like and subscribe to their channel cause their still cool and down with the young croud, like a bad youth director...... but any way... can you recomend a good highly rated full kit for 2018? Thanks for any help. Now I pause and blow a giant cloud into the camera blocking all other sight for effect... lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
[I have been trying to find info on a good full rda vape set, but every online video or sight I find is 2 to 5 years old and the items are no longer available in 2018 or they only show the atomizer and not the mod. Does it work with a 510 pin? How many watts do I need? Do I need to build sub ohm coils or does it work best around 1.8 ohm? They never tell, Just 50 year old tatted up supper guaged ear dudes with 80`s hair metal blaring in the background while on a red bull roid rage begging you to like and subscribe to their channel cause their still cool and down with the young croud, like a bad youth director...... but any way... can you recomend a good highly rated full kit for 2018? Thanks for any help. Now I pause and blow a giant cloud into the camera blocking all other sight for effect... lol

With RDA's (which is a rebuildable dripping atomizer) any one fairly well goes with any mod..

What we need to know is whether you like MTL or DL vaping (mouth to lung inhalation techniques which more replicate smoking, or direct lung inhalation) and around how many watts you usually enjoy vaping around.

If your something in between of mtl and dl, then the GeekVape Ammit is a good idea, at a great price. It comes in many different colors and will go on any mod you buy.

For mods the question is do you want a single or a double battery mod. The GeekVape Aegis is a single battery, and the GeekVape Aegis Legend is a double battery - can't beat the mods for price and quality.

That said, you may want something smaller like the single battery JAC 75-B, and a mtl atomizer tank such as the Kayfun Prime or the Siren 22mm..

So are you really wanting to drip? Or do you just want to build you own coils on the cheap and like the tank design?

Once we have more information (watts and inhalation style ) we can give you more specific advice.

If you don't know the answer to those questions, I recommend starting with the Siren 25mm and the Pico 25..

David America

Dec 13, 2018
NC
With RDA's (which is a rebuildable dripping atomizer) any one fairly well goes with any mod..

What we need to know is whether you like MTL or DL vaping (mouth to lung inhalation techniques which more replicate smoking, or direct lung inhalation) and around how many watts you usually enjoy vaping around.

If your something in between of mtl and dl, then the GeekVape Ammit is a good idea, at a great price. It comes in many different colors and will go on any mod you buy.

For mods the question is do you want a single or a double battery mod. The GeekVape Aegis is a single battery, and the GeekVape Aegis Legend is a double battery - can't beat the mods for price and quality.

That said, you may want something smaller like the single battery JAC 75-B, and a mtl atomizer tank such as the Kayfun Prime or the Siren 22mm..

So are you really wanting to drip? Or do you just want to build you own coils on the cheap and like the tank design?

Once we have more information (watts and inhalation style ) we can give you more specific advice.

If you don't know the answer to those questions, I recommend starting with the Siren 25mm and the Pico 25..
Wow, thanks for the reply. Yes I want a DL dual coil dual battery kit, I love the simplicity of design and the idea of building my own coils. I don't know about watts, all I have had is the prince stick but Iguess 70 to 150 would be great for me. Thanks again.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Wow, thanks for the reply. Yes I want a DL dual coil dual battery kit, I love the simplicity of design and the idea of building my own coils. thanks a lot.

Okay, well I do recommend the GeekVape Aegis Legend then

GeekVape Aegis Legend 200W Kit

but as far as dual coil DL RTA's I'm a bit lost, as that's not my style of vaping..

You might like to pop over to the Shinyitis thread and ask there..

Shinyitis Support Group

^^^ link

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: David America

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France

Yes I agree with this wholeheartedly. Even as an advanced? user I always google all my new purchases and watch a multitude of reviews on youtube to try and make an informed desicion. I find, for the most part this works very well but you do need a little bit of knowledge to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread