The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Just tried fluval fish filter

Discussion in 'Experiments With Equipment' started by Catanonia, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Catanonia

Catanonia Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 3, 2009
    UK
    Fluval fish filter as wadding for carts. Just popped out and got some from local pet smart.

Cut off a small part (use sharp scissors to get clean cuts and not strands)

I rolled my part instead of folding and it seems to work very very well.

Just the same material as in the carts.

I got enough to make about 2000+ carts for about £4.50 in the UK about $6.50

I notice no difference at all to this and normal wadding / wicks.

2. Skad

Skad Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 29, 2009
    Biloxi, MS
    I'll have to go pick some of that up. The loose polyfill isn't working very well for me at all. I'm guessing the Petsmarts in the US carry it as well?

3. ZambucaLu

ZambucaLu ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central NY, USA
    Did you guys see the thread on using teabags? I haven't tried it yet but they say it works! :p

Lu

4. surbitonPete

surbitonPete Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2009
    North Yorkshire UK
    If you have a penstyle cart try cutting a tea bag in half.....rolling it up like a carpet (without the tea!) ..inserting it into the cart, trimming it to length, filling it with juice ....and vape away. I guess it could be done much the same with any style of cart but I only have penstyle.

5. surbitonPete

Jan 25, 2009
    North Yorkshire UK
    It really is working brilliantly for me lu..I retried the kitchen paper towel with a much better quality paper towel but the tea bag material definately works better.

6. Catanonia

Apr 3, 2009
    UK
    LOL, Hope it is Yorkshire Tea :)

Might have to give that a go.

Any place that has tropical fish and filters / food for sale should stock fluval as it is the main player in the market.

7. surbitonPete

Jan 25, 2009
    North Yorkshire UK
    Believe me you won't want fluval once you have tried teabag.....lol

8. Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 9, 2009
    West Allis, WI
    Teabagging? :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously tho - has anyone thought of/tried a coffee filter? Hmmmmmm.

Maybe I will.

9. Vapor Cloud9

Vapor Cloud9 Full Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I am new to this forum and posting to forums in general but I have spent quite a few hours reading and learning from everyone here. After reading about the teabags I thought about coffee filters too and I decided to give it a try last night. I have a DSE 901 and my husband just started using a Pilot. We have been using the coffee filter all day today and so far it has worked really well. The flavor is much better for both us and I haven't had to top off my carts near as much as I was with the normal filler that comes in the carts. We are doing just as surbitonPete said (thanks for the idea) and loosely rolling it up, trimming it to length and then filling it with juice. I did try the loose poly-fil (from Walmart) and while that worked okay, I couldn't consistently get the thickness right and it was proving to be more frustrating than it was worth for me. This is working much better for us and we are really liking the improved flavor of the juice. Just thought I would share our experience with anyone who is curious.

10. Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 9, 2009
    West Allis, WI

thanks for the 2nd on the coffee filter thing - I'm going to try tonight....I've come to the conclusion that my cart batting is ready to be changed.....some really foul tasting vapor comes off that one, and I've tried swapping everything else out....

Finally, something I can get for this new addiction of mine that I can buy LOCALLY!!!!!!!!

11. youfillintheblank

youfillintheblank Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 13, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I was gonna try unbleached brown Melitta coffee filters. some folks claim it does make a difference with the flavour of coffee, so why not e-liquid? I just have to remember to buy the ......n things on the 3 or 4 trips per week I make to the grocery store, I don't drink coffee, so none at home.

12. Vapor Cloud9

Vapor Cloud9 Full Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Yes, I plan on picking up the unbleached filters myself on my next trip to the grocery store. All I had were the white bleached ones to try for now.

One other tip I forgot to mention is that we found that you do have to roll it up a little loose and leave a hole in the center. It just seems to work better - we aren't having to drag as hard and it produces more vapor for me using the DSE901.

13. youfillintheblank

youfillintheblank Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 13, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    the best part for me about using the coffee filters, is that I can leave some sticking out a bit, and therefore, use DSE901 carts on an RN4075 atomizer, since the DSE carts aren't quite as long, and the filler doesn't reach the bridge on the atomizer. I can't find RN carts locally, only DSE

14. Catanonia

Apr 3, 2009
    UK
    Might have to try the teabag approach..

15. frogbmth

frogbmth Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 8, 2009
    Dorset, UK
    I plan to procure a box of fruit teabags from work :p

16. 1HitWonder

1HitWonder Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2009
    KY
    Using a tea bag or a coffee filter? That just means more $$$ to spend on assorted e-toys! :cool: PLUS! It means you can switch out flavors quicker.
    Ya'll are the greatest! :D

17. julliefishes

julliefishes Full Member

OMG I love using the teabag. This produces a way better draw and vapor. Bonus is, I won't have to worry about all those loose poly fibers coming off the cartridge and melting on my atomizer. As well, I won't have to go through the weekly maintaince of washing out the cartridge's filler.
    Thank you for all for the great idea.

18. Doostin

Doostin Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
  19. Closet Toker

Closet Toker Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 7, 2009
    Trempealeau, WI.
  20. Idahojo

Idahojo Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 3, 2009
    Bonners Ferry, ID
    I just tried the teabag. I'm amazed. It really does work. I think I might have used to much of it but am still experimenting. Do you guys use the whole teabag or cut it in half?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.