Status
Not open for further replies.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
I just shorted out my spring in my new Woodvil (my fault) trying to get a rba to make contact. I thought with this new 510 connector would adjust to make all attys work. Looking close at the threads of this atty compared to others that do make contact it is a bit shorter. I used the allen wrench to raise the connector and also tried to extend the center pin of the atty and only caused the short.

Has anyone else found a rba that couldn't be used on the new Woodvil? or am I missing something obvious?

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
No idea hun, I was recently given a derringer clone that someone had because the pin on the atty was too short, and at the time they only had the old 510 reos. So they sent it to me since I could raise the 510 on the reo to meet the center pin on the atty, I had no issues doing this. I have to use a DMM to meter it cuz it won't work on the ohm meter, but haven't had any issues. This will be interesting to see what folks and especially what Rob has to say

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I don't have a huge collection of bottom feed attys, so I can't say, for sure. But I have attys that have 510 connectors that seem a bit too long, and consequently leave a gap, between the Reo and the atty, even with the adjustable pin lowered all the way. I haven't encountered any attys with the 510 too short.

Reactions: Train2

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
That's what I've seen - and heard elsewhere too - as a more common issue. That the new 510 "bottoms out" with the atty still sticking up a mm or 2 from flush.
I always have a THIN o-ring in there, just to be sure I don't get liquid on my wood - but with a couple atties, I use a thicker one, to take up a gap. Haven't had anything that couldn't reach.
I THINK Rob said that even that aspect - the RANGE if you will - was adjustable. Just not as easily with a simple driver from the top. So it's possible yours is set overall too "low" when most of us it's either just right or a little high. I hope that makes sense...

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I have had the same problem as @Rule62 has been encountering. Every atty I have put on my new Woodvill bottoms out and they are usually about 2-3mm from being flush. The only atty that really fits it is the Nuppin' with the 510 screwed all the way in. I have a Hastur that I made a center BF pin for and sanded the head of the pin down so I can make it fit flush. I do recall Rob saying something to the effect, if anyone really finds it a problem a simple spa trip would be in order to have the 510 lowered in them...

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
I've not encountered an atty that couldn't connect with the new 510's (a few, as above, that were a bit too long even with the 510 adjusted as low as it will go). This was not the case with the old 510, however - plenty of atties I had to adjust the center pin of in order to make contact and even a couple that would not connect.

What's the atty, if you don't mind telling?

Reactions: Debadoo

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
The attys I use most often on my Woodvils are my Mantas, which sit only about a half mm above the wood. It's only maybe the thickness of a piece of paper. Actually, I prefer it that way, so that I don't scratch the wood when I push the top cap on the atty. The worst is one of my RM4s, which has about a 1.5mm gap, on one of my metal Reos. I use an o ring there, to take up the space, which also takes stress off the atty, should I drop it.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
No idea hun, I was recently given a derringer clone that someone had because the pin on the atty was too short, and at the time they only had the old 510 reos. So they sent it to me since I could raise the 510 on the reo to meet the center pin on the atty, I had no issues doing this. I have to use a DMM to meter it cuz it won't work on the ohm meter, but haven't had any issues. This will be interesting to see what folks and especially what Rob has to say

Just so I'm clear when you say you raised the 510 you used the wench counter clockwise to raise it...right?

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Just so I'm clear when you say you raised the 510 you used the wench counter clockwise to raise it...right?
I think clockwise raises the little center post and counter-clockwise lowers it.

It *seems* backwards, but when you think about it when you're raising it, you're really unscrewing it (which would normally be a counter-clockwise motion.)

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Everything sits high or I have to adjust slightly to leave a little gap and to line the air holes where I want them. Dont want no atty scratching the wood. But I can get them so close you can't tell but you see day light.

Only atty that was crazy high is the derringer with its long post. I've filed that down so much that it will now buttom out if I wanted.

That's all out if 4 2015 woodvils and new 510s on 3 metal grands.

Last edited:

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I think clockwise raises the little center post and counter-clockwise lowers it.

It *seems* backwards, but when you think about it when you're raising it, you're really unscrewing it (which would normally be a counter-clockwise motion.)

Yeah took me a few months for it to become second nature.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Interesting comments. Can't add anything on the new Woodvils because the only atty's my 4 have ran are their Nuppin's. I did adjust all their 510's for the Nuppin's so they are just a whisker off the wood to not mar it as Rule said. Don't remember if any of them had to been adjusted all the way in to do so though.

Your RM4 comment Rule... my Atomic sits all the way down on the LP/SL Grand w/adj 510 I've had it on for the last few days. Way back when I first got it and tried it out though it would have had to been on one of the only 2 (new) LP Grands I had at the time, and both of them had the older non adjustable 510's then. Don't remember it not mounting flush on it either.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
That's another thing that's cool about the V2 Nuppins. There's no shoulder on the base. So, you can reduce the chamber even more by raising the 510 pin on the Reo, and pushing the cap on the Nuppin down further.

Yep, and it's in my plans to mod all 3 of my V1 bases, machine them to reduce that base plate diameter to be the same as a V2 base. With that all 8 of mine will be like V2's.

Reactions: Train2

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Well after 25-30 turns clockwise no change in the depth so I think its broken. Being a Reo wood guy from the beginning, I never had any thing go right with 2015 woodvils. I think Im cursed. When Rob is up and around and feeling better I send it in. My 2014 works great just limited to attys and I have a cheap Chinese regulated BFer that works fine with all attys I use till then. Thanks everyone for you help and comments. :thumb:

Last edited:

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I don't think there's that many turn IN it - so you may have a repair needed.
I've not (as some have) accidentally unscrewed mine all the way - but from "bottomed out" to "works for any atty I have" is a difference of just ONE turn for me. As I meant to say - if anything, I wish mine could go about 1 turn lower - but it's not worth shipping it in for.

Sidenote - all my Nuppins sit nice and flush with the pin bottomed out (1 V1 and 2 V2's)

Well after 25-30 turns clockwise no change in the depth so I think its broken. Being a Reo wood guy from the beginning, I never had any thing go right with 2015 woodvils. I think Im cursed. When Rob is up and around and feeling better I send it in. My 2014 works great just limited to attys and I have a cheap Chinese regulated BFer that works fine with all attys I use till then. Thanks everyone for you help and comments. :thumb:

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Yeah.. you sure the center pin screw is still there? Prob 5-6 turns would be enough for it to tighten all the way down or off in the other direction.

Um... this^^^

25 turns would surely screw it all the way out (and off the 510), which you'd notice. Very possible your pin insert is AWOL. Rob has more, so a quick fix if this is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread