Kanger OCC vertical coil life on Subox Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
So I've been trying to search for this and I probably missed it, but I can't seem to get much life from my vertical atomizers. For background, I use the 1.5 ohm atomizers because I'm not a cloud chaser and I like the idea of spending less $$ on juice...the vapor I get from the 1.5s is enough for me. BUT, I get like 1 or 2 days from each atomizer. I do vape heavily all day, but I seem to go through only about 7 or 8 ML a day. I usually run at a low wattage...between 12 and 14. I'm also using 70% VG juice because I'm hooked on Teleos, and I prefer mouth to lung to simulate the smoking experience.

I've seen advice about priming the coils very heavily until the juice comes out through the bottom, and then blowing the extra juice out, which I've been doing. But that seems to result in a flooded tank for a while, and in that case I turn the wattage up a bit and try to burn it off. After that I can get a good few hours with full taste, but then it's not long before the coil seems to get gunked up.

So I guess the questions are:
How long should the vertical coils last with normal to heavy usage?
Using the 1.5 atomizers, what does the ideal wattage seem to be for keeping the atomizers going?
Do I just need to start looking into the RBA?

Sorry if this is a repeat question - you folks on this forum are the best!

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
heya - couple of things come to mind...
can't really give you an answer on how long coils last - depends on usage, juice you are using, wattage... several variables - but 1-2 days seems way short... what is wattage listed on side of coil? i would likely start about 10w, then work way slowly up till you finds sweet spot...

1) if coils are not burnt (cotton not burnt - flavor just gone), you might try soaking them overnight in pga, then hot water rinse and air dry - maybe even hit center of coil with a small bristle brush, if you have one - can get some extra mileage out of coils this way

2) i don't ever prime as much as you mention - i prime side holes well (hit em, give it a sec, hit em again), then reassemble tank, give it a couple minutes to soak and do some 'primer pulls' (no power, cover airflow holes, take a few draws on tank - should see a few airbubbles coming up from wick holes)

3) worth getting familiar with rba - wicking can be a little finicky at first, but you will get the hang of it pretty quickly - and it is the most cost effective by far - you can pick up spare rba heads from fasttech (or other vendors, like sweet-vapes.com) pretty cheaply and keep a backup ready

hope this helps!

Reactions: skullblade789

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
heya - couple of things come to mind...
can't really give you an answer on how long coils last - depends on usage, juice you are using, wattage... several variables - but 1-2 days seems way short... what is wattage listed on side of coil? i would likely start about 10w, then work way slowly up till you finds sweet spot...

1) if coils are not burnt (cotton not burnt - flavor just gone), you might try soaking them overnight in pga, then hot water rinse and air dry - maybe even hit center of coil with a small bristle brush, if you have one - can get some extra mileage out of coils this way

2) i don't ever prime as much as you mention - i prime side holes well (hit em, give it a sec, hit em again), then reassemble tank, give it a couple minutes to soak and do some 'primer pulls' (no power, cover airflow holes, take a few draws on tank - should see a few airbubbles coming up from wick holes)

3) worth getting familiar with rba - wicking can be a little finicky at first, but you will get the hang of it pretty quickly - and it is the most cost effective by far - you can pick up spare rba heads from fasttech (or other vendors, like sweet-vapes.com) pretty cheaply and keep a backup ready

hope this helps!
Thanks for the quick reply! Kanger provides a chart for the recommended wattage, which I think for the VG and ohm level is from 10-22, so I'm definitely in that range. I think I'm going to try your recommendation in bullet 2 for priming the next time. That might get me off to a better start.

Regarding RBAs, I knew someone was going to recommend it...I'm just...really lazy!

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
The .5 ohm coil last me 2 -3 weeks at 20 to 25 watts. The 1.2 that my brother uses last a couple of weeks sometimes less at 15 -18 watts. Are you lettingthe tank run dry before refilling? If so that will shorten the life of your coil. I prime mine with a couple of drops down the center and a drop on each juice hole. Then fill tank and let sit 10 minutes or so. Then a couple of dry pulls on the tank like said by covering the air flow and not firing. Don't let the liquid in the tank ever get below the Juice flow holes on the atomizer and you should be able to get the coils to last longer. If this doesn't help you may want to switch to the 1.2 or the .5 ohm coils. You can still mouth to lung on the .5 ohm by adjusting your airflow.

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
The .5 ohm coil last me 2 -3 weeks at 20 to 25 watts. The 1.2 that my brother uses last a couple of weeks sometimes less at 15 -18 watts. Are you lettingthe tank run dry before refilling? If so that will shorten the life of your coil. I prime mine with a couple of drops down the center and a drop on each juice hole. Then fill tank and let sit 10 minutes or so. Then a couple of dry pulls on the tank like said by covering the air flow and not firing. Don't let the liquid in the tank ever get below the Juice flow holes on the atomizer and you should be able to get the coils to last longer. If this doesn't help you may want to switch to the 1.2 or the .5 ohm coils. You can still mouth to lung on the .5 ohm by adjusting your airflow.

I'm definitely not letting the juice get too low, but I might be hitting on it too hard and too often when I start needing the nic.

I've been thinking about trying out the .5 coil that came with starter kit...I'm just not really wanting to try it and like it that much more since the juice goes down that much faster with those things!

Thanks again for the help all.

Reactions: gofishtx

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
So this latest coil is still going really strong after one full day, and I usually would've experienced some reduced performance by now. One thing I've noticed is that I think I started to take draws without hitting the button, and pretty hard draws while pressing the button in order to avoid the burnt/dry hits I've read so much about. So I'm probably running into the opposite problem, with the coils getting gunked up with half cooked juice, right?

So is it true that there can really be two causes for bad taste? One where it's a dry hit because of insufficient juice, and the other is old crappy juice piled up on the coil? If so, how do you know the difference? I'm thinking that the pile up of half cooked juice causes a tighter draw, because sometimes that happens with mine.

Thanks again for giving this newb help!

Treborsmug

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2014
Dallas Texas
I use an old plastic film container and fill it half with Isopropyl. Drop the atty in. Shake it few times. Blow it out. Q-tip the coil. Refill the tank. When the air bubbles stop coming out the feed holes your ready to go. You should be hitting the fire button about 2 seconds before draw (lightly and longer) not quick hard and fast. Same principle as flooding an old car with a carburetor. Of course doing all this is what I showed my sister to do, because I jumped right on the builders atty that came with the Sub Mini Kit (4.5 ml tank only). It doesn't come with the 3 ml tank Kit. My sister got that one. The builders atty is already coiled. All you to do is cotton wick it. Twist the cotton pretty tight and enough to stuff down both sides where the feed holes are. That atty flows pretty quick. But one 2 second draw gives great cloud, so you can back off for less. Run it at 25W. Run the 1.5 at 10W. I also use the smallest hole. Juice is cheap when you mix your own (70 cents for 30 ml). Who cares how much juice you use. :D

skullblade789

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2015
Waynesboro, PA
It matters what type of juice you are vaping. If it is a sweet juice you are going to go through the coils much faster. What happens is that when you vape, the coils will collect the sweet stuff. Leaving behind a film or gunk on your coil. This will diminish your flavor and vapor production. Remedy: If your brick and mortor shop is worth a darn they can teach you how to build and wick your RBA. I had mine teach me and I have not bought another coil in 4 months. I wick mine every week while vaping really sweet juices. I have 3 kanger sub tank minis and it takes me 20 minutes now to re-wick 3 coils and has literally saved me hundreds of dollars. Just remember to get rid of the gunk that has developed on your coil. Hope this helps.

Treborsmug

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2014
Dallas Texas
For cleaning coils, I'd suggest high proof vodka, aka ethanol or ethyl alcohol, rather than isopropyl. For example devils spring 160 proof.

Isopropyl isn't appropriate to drink or inhale.

(Good idea, cleaning coils, just ethanol is a better choice.)
Iso is electrical contact cleaner. Just squirt some on a surface and watch how fast it evaporates. It won't be there anymore by the time you vape. Everclear is best if you want consumable alcohol. Low flash point 200 proof.

Reactions: markfm

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
I think I was flooding and gunking it all up before as this one is still going strong. Been staying gentle on the draws and it's working better. I'm using really sweet juice (can't get off the bakery/dessert/cereal/milk/banana split stuff from Teleos), so I'm expecting performance to drop at some point soon.

I'll take a look at cleaning them with the vodka and start checking out the RBAs. Thanks again to everyone!

P.S. Holy crap I don't really like lemon except with seafood, and I don't even really care all that much for real pound cake, but Pound Cake by Teleos is ridiculous! And apparently a coil killer.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
A soak in high test vodka/everclear and some drying time is fine. A lot of eliquid has some ethanol, as a carrier for flavorings or to thin vg.

I understand Isopropyl, use it often to clean connectors and contacts.

My suggestion is to avoid a new person innocently putting a full head with various wicking materials into it, then quickly shoving it back into a tank and vaping.

Even when the base ISO evaporates, typical OTC ISO doesn't have a spec on residual ingredients.

Last edited:

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
I'm definitely not letting the juice get too low, but I might be hitting on it too hard and too often when I start needing the nic.

I've been thinking about trying out the .5 coil that came with starter kit...I'm just not really wanting to try it and like it that much more since the juice goes down that much faster with those things!

Thanks again for the help all.
That would more than likely flood your tank. What exactly is happening that makes you say your coil is bad? No flavor, no vapor, hard to pull a drag, burnt taste? Sometimes you may think the coil is going bad when you really just need to open up the airflow or even tighten down the coil. Sometimes they loosen themselves (Tank Goblins) Also using a new coil, you should start lower wattage and then work your way up to break the coil in, it could just be you need to crank up your wattage a bit. If you try these fixes and they don't work, you may need to change juices. Juices with lemon, koolada, and certain sweeteners can clog your coils and will certainly not last as long. I vape a lot of dessert flavors with no problems but I DIY my juice.

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
When I say bad coil I mostly mean it starts to taste burnt, but it also starts to get tighter on the draw. I have had the tank goblins clear up the tight draw for me before though.

It just started to taste burnt...been barely more than 24 hours vaping around 13 watts. This time I did something I don't usually do though - I was vaping last night and got the juice down to about half way. I topped it back off this morning before leaving for work, and I noticed just now that the juice was quite a bit darker than when it started. I dumped the juice, cleaned the tank, but kept the same coil in and it tastes fine with the fresh juice. So that was good, but I usually clean the tank each time I get near to empty (but before it's below the wicking holes), so that's not the usual cause of my issues. Just this time!

I'm 2.5 weeks off the smokes and feeling good, but this is a helluva lot more complicated than just lightin one up! Thanks again for all the help - sheesh!

Reactions: gofishtx

Treborsmug

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2014
Dallas Texas
When I say bad coil I mostly mean it starts to taste burnt, but it also starts to get tighter on the draw. I have had the tank goblins clear up the tight draw for me before though.

It just started to taste burnt...been barely more than 24 hours vaping around 13 watts. This time I did something I don't usually do though - I was vaping last night and got the juice down to about half way. I topped it back off this morning before leaving for work, and I noticed just now that the juice was quite a bit darker than when it started. I dumped the juice, cleaned the tank, but kept the same coil in and it tastes fine with the fresh juice. So that was good, but I usually clean the tank each time I get near to empty (but before it's below the wicking holes), so that's not the usual cause of my issues. Just this time!

I'm 2.5 weeks off the smokes and feeling good, but this is a helluva lot more complicated than just lightin one up! Thanks again for all the help - sheesh!
LOL...more compilicated....I have over 20 mods now from tubes to Box, RTA's and RDA's...I rebuild factory atty's for the Evods, I-Clears, etc, etc...also....I get them all running so I can just grab one. Quicker than a stinky. So now it's a hobby that keeps me off the Stinkies and have enough Mods comparable to some women's shoe collection. Ooooo..look at all the shiny metal and custom finishes...Kick butts..Vape on....

Reactions: markfm

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.

...Where to begin... After reading this whole thread, I'd like to put my experience in. I run the Kanger subtank, and I also use vertical coils. I do, however, rebuild the coils myself.
To know whether or not you have a gunked up coil, or burning cotton, the best thing you can do is to take one of your old coils apart and examine it. Try to take the coil out as intact as you can, and then gently uncoil the wire from the cotton. If there are any sugars in the juice, or any residue, usually that burns on contacting the coils and will stick to the coil itself. It usually just flakes off as tiny black specks. If you ran the coil too dry, the cotton itself will look black where it came in contact with the coil.

How you vape also affects the heat of the coils for a non temp control setup. Even 1.2, or 1.8 ohm coils can get too hot and burn cotton. Ecigs use both evaporation of the ejuice and the air passing over the coils to cool off the coils. IF you don't have enough airflow going over the coils, then chances are the coil is getting too hot. Try increasing the airflow to see if that helps.

For references on how to rebuild, or how it's put together, I recommend just looking at this video. Even if you don't rebuild, it gives you a good idea of what is inside the coil, and how it's made.

Good luck, and happy vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread