Kanger Protank vs. iClear 30 - My initial review (pics on SVD and Tesla)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lombaowski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2013
DC via the 313
I just ordered an iclear 30 after vaping for the last week with iclear 16s. To me the taste difference between the iclears and the protank is like the taste difference between homemade Italian Gelato, and generic American Ice Cream. Haven't experienced the leaking with the 16s yet, hopefully won't. Protank is a high quality tank and I like it (using right now in fact), but I'm finding myself more partial to the 16. Better TH, better vapor and much better flavor IMO.

UncleChimney

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2010
SE Pa
I have both and I just can't get past the tight draw of the iclear. I tried boring out the holes in the 510 portion and the piece inside of that, as well as cut a portion of the top rubber cap off to try and get a looser draw, but it only loosened it so much. Not near as much as a Protank I or II. The iclear30 also seems to have a muted flavor relative to the Protank.

donna_

Aug 27, 2013
USA
I just ordered an iclear 30 after vaping for the last week with iclear 16s. To me the taste difference between the iclears and the protank is like the taste difference between homemade Italian Gelato, and generic American Ice Cream. Haven't experienced the leaking with the 16s yet, hopefully won't. Protank is a high quality tank and I like it (using right now in fact), but I'm finding myself more partial to the 16. Better TH, better vapor and much better flavor IMO.

Well there is never a consistent opinion on these things is there? :)

I hope you are right. I'm spending more than on vaping than smoking now just trying to get a decent set up. I have a SmokeTek 510 (going to switch to Boge cartos to see if it helps) and liked the Evod until I had to switch to VG juice. The iclear 16/30 was recommended. Though since i ordered it and the heads I see the ProTank recommended time and again. Though those too don't please everyone.

Oy this gets expensive! Hopefully I'll find something that works right and is OK on the budget. I'm a bit concerned about the juice hog bit...doubt that is subjective, it makes sense. I have a T3 on the way and by next month will probably end up dripping (or the Protank -- I'm not fond of the plastic build...but was so frustrated with clogging thought I'd give it a try).

Wish I could take PG juice would make life easier ...but hey, I"m not smoking so it'll be/is worth it.

CON: According to EC Blends:
"POLYCARBONATE TANK WARNING: These tanks are made of polycarbonate plastic and may crack when exposed to certain flavor molecules in certain E-Liquids. (Banana, Strong Mints, Cinnamon Fireball peppermint - READ FULL POLYCARBONATE WARNINGS BELOW) may damage these tanks. Do Not Use this product with those flavors. "

I missed the mint warning until now ...and hadn't seen banana before (which doesn't affect me). I guess this is going to be a back up product.

Last edited:

dgibbons

Sep 10, 2013
stow ohio usa
ive had a protank for about 2 months and i love it all day vape i have a protank 2 which i love even better both are filled with different juice. all i do is buy 4 replacement heads a month when i get my juice order from groovee juice (its my local b&m shop good customer service and great prices super juice) so yeah i dont use any plastic tanks or carto tanks any more im in love with protank 1and 2

hopefulpoet

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Champaign, IL
I don't really care much for the iClear 30's. A tight draw always throws me off a bit. Mine leaked on my SVD. I didn't expect it to drip into the battery chamber, though, which it did just that. Has anybody experienced that with the SVD? It's going back on the slow boat, regardless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

hopefulpoet

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Champaign, IL
I don't really care much for the iClear 30's. A tight draw always throws me off a bit. Mine leaked on my SVD. I didn't expect it to drip into the battery chamber, though, which it did just that. Has anybody experienced that with the SVD? It's going back on the slow boat, regardless.

I forgot to mention that I'm loving the ProTank II. I have two of them plus a mini. It's solid, easy to use and clean, and it gives just enough air on the draw. I don't feel that I'll need any other tank at this point (until I hit up a cartotank in the near future).

graybuck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Oregon
I really wanted to like the protank. I bought two. Both leak and are worthless. New heads don't affect it. For some reason the evods work great with the same heads so there must be some type of issue with the internal pressure leaking in the protanks. The I30 was my next try. Great flavor. Better than the protank IMHO. The I16 had been great so I thought the 30 would be the same only bigger. No luck they also leak out the battery connection. Maybe I have bad luck. If I leave them sit with juice overnight I have a mess in the morning. Anyone know if there is a solution?

hopefulpoet

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Champaign, IL
I really wanted to like the protank. I bought two. Both leak and are worthless. New heads don't affect it. For some reason the evods work great with the same heads so there must be some type of issue with the internal pressure leaking in the protanks. The I30 was my next try. Great flavor. Better than the protank IMHO. The I16 had been great so I thought the 30 would be the same only bigger. No luck they also leak out the battery connection. Maybe I have bad luck. If I leave them sit with juice overnight I have a mess in the morning. Anyone know if there is a solution?

My i30's leaked into my SVD's battery compartment! I won't lie: I'm glad it did because it provided cover fire for the Mrs. not to kill me for ordering a Provari...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Gerick

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2013
NYC

No solution that I know of, other than to throw them in the garbage like I did and I had 2 i30's.

I feel bad for the guys selling these ..it's not their fault ,it's the clowns at iclear. They know all about these i30's having leaking problems. Most people who buy an i30 have this leaking problem.

Don't leave the i30 anywhere near something you don't want damaged from e juice ,because these crappers will continue to leak slowly overnight and cause a mess.

They should refund all of us or replace them with something else.

PS: A handful of people used the head from an i16 and they said that stopped the leaking. It didn't work
for me .

HawaiiVPR

Moved On
Oct 19, 2013
808 State
PS: A handful of people used the head from an i16 and they said that stopped the leaking. It didn't work
for me .

You can, but you need to shorten the neck. I don't recommend doing this unless you have a lathe or another method of getting a perfectly straight cut. If there is a slight angle, you'll be gurgling more than vaping.

KC33

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
Ft. Lauderdale, FL USA
My take,

PT heads are much cheaper than Iclear.
PT looks beautiful and is much easier to clean than the Iclear.
I don't think I've ever used a tank more reliable and trouble free as the PT.

IMHO I find that the Iclear creates more vapor than the PT.
There's no doubt that in my experience that the Iclear creates a much richer and more flavorful vape.
I like the draw on the Iclear more than the PT, it is tighter and I find the PT a bit airy.
I actually like the drip tip on the Iclear.

If someone makes a tank with the build quality and ease of use of the PT and the warm flavorful vape of the Iclear I'd name it Nirvana.

HawaiiVPR

Moved On
Oct 19, 2013
808 State
My take,

PT heads are much cheaper than Iclear.
PT looks beautiful and is much easier to clean than the Iclear.
I don't think I've ever used a tank more reliable and trouble free as the PT.

IMHO I find that the Iclear creates more vapor than the PT.
There's no doubt that in my experience that the Iclear creates a much richer and more flavorful vape.
I like the draw on the Iclear more than the PT, it is tighter and I find the PT a bit airy.
I actually like the drip tip on the Iclear.

If someone makes a tank with the build quality and ease of use of the PT and the warm flavorful vape of the Iclear I'd name it Nirvana.

The quest for the perfect tank... I've been on this search, and just when I think I got the perfect setup, either some small quirk emerges, or a new product comes on the market. No complaints though, its been rather fun ;)

gbradley88

Mar 20, 2014
clovis NM
Lol I guess I must be the black sheep of the bunch. Bought my starter kit and came with the pro tank 2, loved it at first but after a day it started flooding all the time didn't matter what I did. The only way I could stop it was replacing the coil, after going through 3 in a day I decided I needed something else. Went to go get the iclear 30b but got talked into the 30s other than this forum haven't heard any complaints about the flooding issues for the iclear...here's to hoping I won't be needing more iclear coils or a new tank soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread