Kanger subvod coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
You can try playing around with the airflow on the tank. Lower airflow is usually better taste. Can't change the wattage though so not a lot of flexibility with the device.
I did that and you're right, less air is better. But still flat taste. Oh well, will have to wait for new coils.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Taste, flavor and coils are totally subjective. With that said, you started on the 0.5 coil, and often, what we start with tends to be preferred, I agree with Beamslider on the airflow settings, that may help you, though your coils may not be tasting good not due to their resistance, but because you can't adjust the wattage downward, so they may be giving you poor flavor, and even burning your coil and juice more rapidly.

Can you take the coils that you haven't used back? Also, ordering authentic coils online can be less expensive, so since you know you like the 0.5 coil in that tank and on that power source, you might be able to purchase them more cheaply (often in 5 or 10 packs) and have a store of them for when you need them.

Best of luck, and welcome to ECF.

Anna

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I had no idea, shop told me 1.2 and 1.5 best for subvod. So irritating.

I feel they are wrong.

The point of the subvod is to vape using the set power of the battery (3.7v) combined with the resistance of the atomizer (0.5ohms). That makes a vape up to about 27 watts.

Two words combined (sub-ohm and evod) make the word Subvod.

If you put a 1.2 or 1.5ohm in it, then lower vapor = lower taste. However, if you could set the tank to minimal airflow and use a slimmer drip tip, you could mimic a mouth-to-lung inhale e-cig which some people like just as much. A tighter dispersion of flavor onto the tongue can taste just as good.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Is that true for all tanks, that lower ohms bring out more flavour?
Not necessarily, but what lower ohms will do is provide higher power (watts) at the same voltage. Since the SubVod is non-adjustable, it's only going to output one voltage and so, at that voltage, the lower-ohm coil will push more watts, which vaporizes more juice. It's not rocket science, the larger volume of vapor simply delivers more flavor molecules to your taste buds. However, with a different device, you'd be able to adjust the power setting independently, so it could ramp the voltage up (boost) or down (buck) on either coil, such that it's pushing the same wattage through either one. In that case, the difference might not be so pronounced.

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
However, if you could set the tank to minimal airflow and use a slimmer drip tip, you could mimic a mouth-to-lung inhale e-cig which some people like just as much. A tighter dispersion of flavor onto the tongue can taste just as good.
I will try this and see...thanks so much!

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
So, thought I'd share some observations after using the new coils for a few days. Both coils used with tiny airflow open...about a quarter.

1.5 ohm nichrome coils are bleh.....no flavour, no clouds, just hard work. Am wondering, can I test them on my incoming Ijoy Captain? Would they perform better? How many watts should I try at?

1.2 ohm nichrome coils are average, again flavour is an issue...you can taste most juices from a distance but not so pronounced.

I ended up ordering 0.5 ohm nichrome again.

Reactions: stols001

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Yeah, I go through maybe 7000mAh in that time and only vape 3.2v/15w on simular coil lol.. heavy vapor. I got a 0.5ohm SS Kanger SSOC coil in my new kit and read like 0.72ohm or something so you may notice a difference with each. They have always been hit or miss with coils... like they add a extra wrap or two by mistake quite often. If the RBA sold separately fits the Nano tank I'd look into that when your ready... you can build some twisted higher awg/ohm coils that will taste better, preform just as good and use less power.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
If it is the Kanger NANO the RBA doesn't fit

Correct. Alas, there is also a Subvod Mega that comes with Toptank mini (22 mm). If that's what the OP has, RBA will fit. *sigh*

Kanger is really terrible at naming their products. Always has been. OCC coils? Then SSOCC??? Seriously, Kanger? And then it turns out that ss refers to the coil body, not the wire used, so maybe they should now start renaming them again: SSSSOCC, NiSSOCC, etc... :facepalm:

I really don't know how new vapers are supposed to figure anything out. It's so bloody confusing.

Last edited:

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
Correct. Alas, there is also a Subvod Mega that comes with Toptank mini (22 mm). If that's what the OP has, RBA will fit. *sigh*

Kanger is really terrible at naming their products. Always has been. OCC coils? Then SSOCC??? Seriously, Kanger? And then it turns out that ss refers to the coil body, not the wire used, so maybe they should now start renaming them again: SSSSOCC, NiSSOCC, etc... :facepalm:

I really don't know how new vapers are supposed to figure anything out. It's so bloody confusing.

Super confusing. Mine is the normal subvod...I'm not even sure what tank it is...toptank, or toptank nano or toptank mini.

And choosing coils was a nightmare...they have kanthal, steel, ceramic. Ni-something, Ni-something else....

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Mine is the normal subvod...I'm not even sure what tank it is...

Check the diameter of the battery (and tank), If it's 19 mm (or so), it's a Nano. If 22 mm, it's a Toptank mini.
And choosing coils was a nightmare...they have kanthal, steel, ceramic. Ni-something, Ni-something else....

I feel your pain. Kanthal is used in power mode. Stainless steel can be used in both power and Temperature Control mode (TC). Ni and Ti--only in TC. Don't even bother with them. The only coils you can use are Kanthal and/or ss. Stick with Kanthal coils.

Maybe this video will help you?

Good luck!

Last edited:

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
Check the diameter of the battery (and tank), If it's 19 mm (or so), it's a Nano. If 22 mm, it's a Toptank mini.

I feel your pain. Kanthal is used in power mode. Stainless steel can be used in both power and Temperature Control mode (TC). Ni and Ti--only in TC. Don't even bother with them. The only coils you can use are Kanthal and/or ss. Stick with Kanthal coils.

Maybe this video will help you?

Good luck!

The online store I bought from recommended SSOCC Nichrome coils....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread