Kanger t-3 rebuild, all you need to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

djbeckett

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
DALLAS, TEXAS
dallastexas.ezhoster.com
I first posted this in the Kanger pro tank rebuild section, sorry.

I have 15 Kanger T-3 coils that I decided to rebuild. I bought the wire (32 ga Kanthal A-1, 100') and wick (3 mm silica, 21') from Sean on Amazon for $35.00 total. That's the same person who made this rebuild video Kanger T3 Bottom Coil Atomizer Rebuild HD Close Up - YouTube
I started with a paperclip for the support, then remembered I had some thinner bailing wire. Anything small and stiff will work. The first one had a short. I watched the video again, rebuilt all 15 in 1 1/2 hours. Two difficult parts: putting the rubber seat back in and wrapping the coil right. I rigged a bright light, that was 80% of the battle (I just used a shop light. Lit it up perfectly). Also, I ended up using nose hair scissors to trim the wire at the end of the build. Flush cut pliers are whats needed. Cheap ones can be bought for $15.00. 5 wrap always ended up about 2 ohms. I bought the ohm meter and 510 battery to Ego-T clearomizer adapter. Ohm meter Cartomizer and Atomizer Ohm Meter, Out of stock today. 510 battery to ego-t atomizer adapter Adaptor, 510 Battery to EGO T Atomizer (those items are everywhere on the internet, although the ohm meter was out of stock. I setup a "email when back in stock" at madvapes. They said "they're here", I bought it. It will immediately tell you if its a good build (a short will read 1, a good build will give you the ohms).

High end T-3 coils are $3.50. $3.50 x 15= $52.50. I've already made my money back, can make many more with what I have left. They work as good as new ones.

My coil wraps never looked perfect. The winds were almost never equally-spaced. You can use any multimeter to check ohms (one probe to the post that touches the battery, the other probe to the post where the wick is). If I found a rebuild checking high, it was because I didn't trim the wire short enough at the end of the build. I have a 10X jewlers loop, that was invaluable (they are $5-$10). I could zoom in to see how the wrap went after I captured the wick/wire wrap in the body. I used a small screwdriver to better space the coils. Sometimes a coil ended up touching a side of the unit. That won't work.

Most of this is from other contributors, I just tried to put it all together.

Last edited:

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
A couple of things I can add...

To get evenly spaced coil wrap use a 4-40 SAE or 2.5mm or 3mm machine screw. The 4-40 SAE and 3mm are about the same diameter. The 4-40 SAE will give wider spacing while a 2.5mm or 3mm will give tighter spacing so you may be able to get more windings on the metric screw.

Run the wire through a flame, cigarette lighter or mini torch, before winding to remove the springiness in the wire. If you use the wire as is it will be difficult to get the two legs of the coil parallel. Running the wire through the flame will allow you to get the legs parallel at almost the first try.

These AGA Series Positive Post Insulators work perfectly as replacements. They are a little stiffer so are easier to install.

For tools, I bought this Cousin 6-piece Jewelry Tool Pack with Case at Walmart for $15.00. It has the round nose pliers for inserting the positive post insulator and the flush cutters you mentioned. There's also long nose pliers and bent long nose pliers along with a couple more items that may or may not come in handy.

djbeckett

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
DALLAS, TEXAS
dallastexas.ezhoster.com
I bought the cousings 6 pc. jewerly tool set from Walmart, the flush cuts worked great. I went back through the builds and found coils measuring .2-.4 ohms. I didn't cut the ends close enough. It took a jewlers loop for me to see 'em, but with a litte determination I got them shorter, now reading 2.0 ohms.

Unrealed to the coils: I bought the ego-t 1300 mah from price-angels.com, they were junk within one week. I then tried ecigarettechina.com. Success! $8.00 each (joyetech=$22-$25). One switch stuck within one hour, but the other 5 work as good as the high-priced joyetech. They were poorly packaged, I don't know how they made it.

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Congratulations on getting the coil ohms problem fixed.

Good luck with your new batteries.

I'm a little hesitant on buying high capacity batteries. In some cases they make the insulation between the wraps thinner to accommodate more wraps in the same diameter case. This puts the chemical compounds that make up the battery a bit too close together for my comfort.
I'll stay with the tried and true 650mAh batteries which based on my vaping will last me 24 hours.

I did get a little 350mAh Smok Tech battery along with a Mini/Baby Kanger T3 for my stealth setup. The combo is working just fine.

djbeckett

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
DALLAS, TEXAS
dallastexas.ezhoster.com
GROUND-BREAKING NEWS

We were in the RGV and found a Joyetech distributor. I put my T-3 rebuild on the new twist unit, it didn't fire! The salesperson told me i didn't cut the wires close enough to the post. I had been using that coil for three days! He re-cut the wire, it worked fine. My cheap ego batteries from China were dropping like flies, it must be because of the lack of short circuit protection. I did remember getting odd OHM readings when I re-built some. So if that final wire cut isn't FLUSH with post, and your battery doesn't have short circuit protection they may not last long.
This is speculation, but what else could it be??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread