Kanger Top Tank Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hokabe

Feb 27, 2016
ND, USA
Hey all, super new here so hopefully I'm doing this right and posting in the right spot. I recently upgraded my setup to the new Kangertech topbox Mini. It came with the Top tank Mini and I'd like to get replacement glass for it because I'm clumsy and it's only a matter of time before I break it (I've already dropped it like 3 times :nah:). I can only find replacements for the Subtank Mini. Will that fit the same? Also, anyone know if I can vape a Clapton coil on TC mode or does it have to be in wattage mode? The topbox has options for Ni, Ti, SS, NC, and wattage. Not sure which to use. Thanks!

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
howdy - and welcome!

not certain about the glass - i don't believe the subtank mini one fits, though... they should be available pretty quickly, though - keep an eye on sweet-vapes.com, they tend to get kanger parts in pretty fast... no, cannot vape that clapton on TC mode (it's kanthal wire, only usable in wattage mode)...

Reactions: Hokabe

Clydde26

Jan 20, 2016
Hopkinsville
subtank mini and top tank mini use the same glass so your good to go there... also it depends on what type of clapton coil you have.... It has to be a temp control useable coil to use in temp control mode.... so your clapton would have to be made of Nickel, Titanium, Stainless Steel, or it says you can use nichrome but I hear that mode is useless so I wouldnt even recommend it. Welcome to the wonderful world of vaping.

Reactions: Hokabe

Hokabe

Feb 27, 2016
ND, USA
Okay good to know, I'll have to try to be more careful so I don't break it before I get a replacement on hand! And thanks for the info on the Clapton coils, this is all super confusing to me as I've never had a clearo with different atomizer options. (hopefully I'm using the right lingo, been vaping for well over a year now, maybe 2? But never got into the specifics too much until now- ha!)

Hokabe

Feb 27, 2016
ND, USA
subtank mini and top tank mini use the same glass so your good to go there... also it depends on what type of clapton coil you have.... It has to be a temp control useable coil to use in temp control mode.... so your clapton would have to be made of Nickel, Titanium, Stainless Steel, or it says you can use nichrome but I hear that mode is useless so I wouldnt even recommend it. Welcome to the wonderful world of vaping.
Hmm... I have no idea which it is? It's just the Kanger one included in the starter kit. I used the nickel one first and figured I'd try this one out. Been using it in wattage at 20 and it seems to be working fine. Any higher and the drip tip gets super hot.

Clydde26

Jan 20, 2016
Hopkinsville
Yes you can only use that coil head in power mode.... and claptons do tend to hold heat a little longer than normal coils... So you wont be able to chain vape as often. Probably 5 sec pulls at maybe 3 at a time before you have to let it cool down. If 20 is fine for you then dont mess with what isnt broken so they say.... But you can experiment at your own accord... bump it up a few watts at a time until you find your perfect happy place.... You may find that a higher wattage will give you a more satisfying vape and you wont have to take as many pulls...therefor taking the hot drip tip out of the equation altogether. IF you dont use the airflow all the way open I wouldnt suggest going higher than 30 or you may get a set of lungs full of smoky death. We call that a dry/burnt hit... and if it is sever enough it can ruin your coil.

Hokabe

Feb 27, 2016
ND, USA
Ah yes, the dry hit... The bane of the vaping experience. Eventually I'd like to learn how to rebuild coils since they're not cheap, but all the warnings I've seen makes it sound scary, like if I f*** up its going to explode in my face lol.

Not sure I'll buy more of these clapton coils once this one's done. The nickel one seemed good so maybe I'll stick with that. I appreciate the info and am excited to learn from the pros here at ECF!

Leo Bak

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2015
Netherlands
You can't use Ni in wattage mode! It's dangerous because it can wreck your batteries and there's a health risk because Ni can easily get too hot. You should throw that Ni coil away. Edit: i think i misread, you probably tried the Clapton coil on 20 Watts, which is fine, because it's a Kanthal coil.

Only use Kanthal or SS in wattage mode.
Ti, Ni can only be used in TC mode.

The subtank mini glass does not fit the toptank. It will leak.

Last edited:
Reactions: Susan~S

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum @Hokabe. Glad to have you here!:)
I used the nickel one first and figured I'd try this one out.
Nickel can only be run in TC mode. Choose the proper "mode".
  • Pink O-Ring -- Stainless Steel wire. Power or SS TC mode, your choice.
  • Blue O-Ring -- Nickel wire. Ni TC mode ONLY.
  • Black O-Ring -- "Clapton" coil. Probably Kanthal, Power Mode ONLY.
  • Red O-Ring -- NiChrome wire. Power Mode only. Made to use with the NiCh TC mode on the brand new Kanger TC mods. Doesn't actually TC according to reports.
upload_2016-2-26_23-38-56.png

Reactions: Leo Bak

Clydde26

Jan 20, 2016
Hopkinsville
If you can wrap a string around a pencil then you can build a coil... The risks involved with building are when you dont educate yourself. Battery safety is of utmost importance and never feel that you have peace of mind just because your using a regulated device. However if you ensure that your builds are above the limits of the mods capabilities you will be fine and the battery will not ever be stressed. The Kanger Sub Box wont fire coils lower than .3 ohms so as long as you build above that then you will always be safe. But like i said educate yourself if you do decide to build. Ohmslawcalculator.com is a good tool to see if your battery can handle your build and steamengine.org is great to determine how you need to build your coils.... But your new... enjoy the ride.... no reason to open the fire-hose just yet. Learn your device that you have and its capabilities... Thats the best advice. Once you have that the rest will come with time..

Hokabe

Feb 27, 2016
ND, USA
If you can wrap a string around a pencil then you can build a coil... The risks involved with building are when you dont educate yourself. Battery safety is of utmost importance and never feel that you have peace of mind just because your using a regulated device. However if you ensure that your builds are above the limits of the mods capabilities you will be fine and the battery will not ever be stressed. The Kanger Sub Box wont fire coils lower than .3 ohms so as long as you build above that then you will always be safe. But like i said educate yourself if you do decide to build. Ohmslawcalculator.com is a good tool to see if your battery can handle your build and steamengine.org is great to determine how you need to build your coils.... But your new... enjoy the ride.... no reason to open the fire-hose just yet. Learn your device that you have and its capabilities... Thats the best advice. Once you have that the rest will come with time..
How do you check the resistance on it? Does it do it automatically when you put in a new atomizer? I'll definitely be waiting until I'm more comfortable with this setup before I start getting into anything else :)

Clydde26

Jan 20, 2016
Hopkinsville
How do you check the resistance on it? Does it do it automatically when you put in a new atomizer? I'll definitely be waiting until I'm more comfortable with this setup before I start getting into anything else :)

You can get and ohm reader as stated above or you can just use your mod.... i tend to build my coil then screw just the base and coil without the top of the tank onto the mod... hit the fire button for like .3 secs and it will give you an initial reading of your resistance. There is a little more to shaping your coil like firing it and squeezing it which will alter the resistance slightly in the end...but thats down the road stuff that you can hit us up for info on when you educate yourself a bit more.

pappcam

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2015
Canada
The Subtank Mini and Toptank Mini do not use the same glass. The Toptank's glass portion is not as long as the Subtank's.

Gary Harrington

Unresolved Status
Feb 27, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread