Kanger toptank leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie vapor

Feb 15, 2016
Hi folks

So I've been using this topbox for the last 2-3 months odd.
It always leaked, from the very beginning, but at that point in time, I thought its probably because I was new to the whole e-cigarette thing and got it connected incorrectly.

Now, after 2-3 months of vaping on this, I do think its probably the topbox itself that has an issue here. I tried 3 new coils (1.5s, 0.5, 0.2), but to no avail.

I looked up videos & found many honestly. One of them had me remove the cap on the coil O-ring, push the tiny coil inside and put the cap back on - did that. Its been an hour so far, no leaks.

But I'm worried if doing this was safe? After I did that, the flavor is slightly different (not burnt/bad but different).

While I'm monitoring to see if that worked, I could use some tips from anyone who experienced the same. It gets really messy and sticky whenever I vape, thanks to the leak. I've stopped taking it along when I go out. Its a nuisance.

Please help!

Reactions: BrotherBob

Newbie vapor

Feb 15, 2016
Reactions: BrotherBob

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
Have you tried the RBA that comes with the Toptank as well?

Unfortunately that is all I have experience with, all the other coils that came with it are still new and unused so I can't advice you on those.

With the RBA mine has only leaked on me once while filling it and that was my own fault. I didn't wick it the right way and I took way too long filling it because I was mixing several kind of flavors in it at the time.

You really need to fill this thing quickly in general and with the airflow fully closed. But when doing that the Toptank is the most reliable and leak proof tank I have.

Good luck!

Reactions: Newbie vapor

Newbie vapor

Feb 15, 2016
Have you tried the RBA that comes with the Toptank as well?

Unfortunately that is all I have experience with, all the other coils that came with it are still new and unused so I can't advice you on those.

With the RBA mine has only leaked on me once while filling it and that was my own fault. I didn't wick it the right way and I took way too long filling it because I was mixing several kind of flavors in it at the time.

You really need to fill this thing quickly in general and with the airflow fully closed. But when doing that the Toptank is the most reliable and leak proof tank I have.

Good luck!

Honestly, I'm very new to this & have never tried using the RBA. I'm open to trying it though.
I'll try looking up videos.

It would be nice to know whats wrong with the existing coils too though.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Thank you, I read the whole of it.

My take away from the reading was that the cotton being dry/drenched is the reason for the occurrence. Am I right here?
Should I be adding more cotton into my coil in that case?
Yes and no. You may have too many things going on here to try one fix. Suggest taking equipment to your local B&M Vape shop and discuss problem with them.

PressPlayVape

Mod Addict
ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
CA
So, I'm not sure what you were talking about with the o-ring inside the coil? You don't want to push on the coil inside too much because you can cause a short, but maybe they're saying to compact the cotton a bit more? Generally leaks from the airflow holes are going to be one of three issues, either:

a) Bad O-ring
b) Coil flooding because of thin e-liquid, bad coil or too low of wattage
c) Bad threading where the coil screws in (in this case you're screwed and need a new tank if a coil change doesn't work)

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
So that method didn't work :cry:

It leaks from the air holes yes.
I

It leaks from the air holes yes. I wonder why the liquid descents into the air chamber at all in the first place!

Could my cotton be overdrenched or something?
take a MICROSCOPIC piece of rayon/cotton lightly roll it into a tiny ball. (LESSSSSSS is Best),, and stuff it into the 2 juice holes... next time you wick,, make sure of the tails actually peak through the juice holes.

the goal is to get a 'cotton/rayon' ''film'',, that's all you need to fix the leak,,its easier to set it up when wicking and should last you the entire time until the next wick job

Newbie vapor

Feb 15, 2016
take a MICROSCOPIC piece of rayon/cotton lightly roll it into a tiny ball. (LESSSSSSS is Best),, and stuff it into the 2 juice holes... next time you wick,, make sure of the tails actually peak through the juice holes.

the goal is to get a 'cotton/rayon' ''film'',, that's all you need to fix the leak,,its easier to set it up when wicking and should last you the entire time until the next wick job

I'm gonna try this right away.
Thank you so much. You made the "defect" seem like a tiny hurdle, thank you!!

Reactions: kross8

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
I'm gonna try this right away.
Thank you so much. You made the "defect" seem like a tiny hurdle, thank you!!
every unit of any brand will run across a tiny fix. in a jam/rush,, i have taken a bit of cotton and stuffed it in through the top fill cap.. you will know when you have too much because it will want to dry burn. you know when its just right when it doesnt dry burn,, a few practice runs will do you good :). from what i can tell over time kanger has changed the size of the juice holes (we are talking microscopically lol),, but plain as day when you have all of the dif versions right next to each other.

anyway,, that 'cotton/rayon film' right at the juice holes will cure a lot of leaking problems.

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
That has happened to me and it was simply because I apparently kept dropping my e-cig from time to time, and some seals just started leaking, coming out from the air holes. I had to purchase a new top tank and then it was okay, once again. I purchased my system from a local vape store and went back down there and bought another one, for like $8.00 - $10.00. If you have a local shop that you can enjoy, as well as becomes friends with the employees, you have a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips. I am fortunate that I have such a shop, and go there sometimes just to chit chat. It's fun!!! :)

Newbie vapor

Feb 15, 2016
every unit of any brand will run across a tiny fix. in a jam/rush,, i have taken a bit of cotton and stuffed it in through the top fill cap.. you will know when you have too much because it will want to dry burn. you know when its just right when it doesnt dry burn,, a few practice runs will do you good :). from what i can tell over time kanger has changed the size of the juice holes (we are talking microscopically lol),, but plain as day when you have all of the dif versions right next to each other.

anyway,, that 'cotton/rayon film' right at the juice holes will cure a lot of leaking problems.

Okay, I did what you'd suggested. Doesn't seem to help :(
I'm bummed.
I can live with a leaking kanger, but I don't want to.
There is some vape shop near where I live.

Do you think I should go there?

Just Want To Quit

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
San Fernando Valley, So-Cal
Check the seal on the bottom of the coil. Make sure that the wire doesn't protrude that stops the colored gasket from sitting flush.

I wish I could be of more help but I've been using these coils almost exclusively for 6 months now and I have never had a leak.. and that goes far back before I would even inspect my coils like i do now.

I have also never got a bad coil in the nearly 30 OCC, SSOCC's, Claptons and Ceramic's I've been through. Everytime I hear of people's problems with leaks, It just has me scratching my head. Either I've been extremely lucky or not carrying my mod in my pocket while out and about might have something to do with it.

I take my Ego One Mega out with me whereever I go and the only time that even leaked was when I left it in the hot car. I dunno... Knock on wood I guess.

P.S. While I may not have ever got a bad kanger coil.. I have got some bad joyetech CL's and CLR's that lasted only a day. The least amount of time any Kanger coil lasted me was 2 weeks minimum and that was a 0.15 NI200.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
Okay, I did what you'd suggested. Doesn't seem to help :(
I'm bummed.
I can live with a leaking kanger, but I don't want to.
There is some vape shop near where I live.

Do you think I should go there?
bummer,, only thing i can think of is to wash your atty,, dry it fully and put a bit of juice on the white seals,, but the cotton film trick should have worked on the air/juice hole leak unless the atty isnt screwed in firmly.

Ryan Splawn

Unresolved Status
May 4, 2016
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: unregistered supplier

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
If it's leaked constantly, using disposable heads from different batches, the thing that I would look to probably blame is a faulty O-ring. You can buy them really cheap, and AFAIK, most Kanger kits come with a little baggy with spares in it, including screws, cotton and O-rings.

I also would suggest using the RBA section if you have one to see if the leak is still a problem using that - when the RBA is mastered it provides a much better and more tuneable vaping experience - cheaper, too.

I also second the recommendation to carefully strip the tank down to it's smallest components and give it a thorough clean using very hot soapy water, then a good rinse, and then reassemble (using the new O-rings from the spares bag if applicable). You can lubricate the O-rings by using a little VG/PG/eJuice to get them on gently.

I hope you have good luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread