Kangertech OCC Horizontal or Verticle. Which is better, longer lasting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigmus9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
Texas
I just picked up a SubBox Mini and I love it. Now that I am looking or replacement coils I have to choose between the horizontal and vertical coils. The 2 that came with the setup are vertical and I love them, but are the horizontals better, the same or just different and if so, how and why? Thank you in advance.

I am a lung inhaler and use 80% vg liquid generally vaping at around 28-30 watts.

Reactions: kbeam418

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
I just finished my first vertical coil for the Kanger Black Subtank V2 Mini. Today was recoil day so it made it into my pile of heads to recoil. I looked at it and decided I wasn't going to try and recoil it (I feel like it was made to not be recoiled and wicked.) On my older subtank coils I recoil and wick them vertically and they do great. (used same method I know from the mini Nautilus) I don't know if there is much difference between the two different methods.

VapNMirrors

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2015
currently, Earth
I've tried most of the Kanger OCC coils:
  • 0.5Ohm Horizontal : My typical use 20-30W. Lasts 1-2 weeks with heavier juice, runs warm but very good flavor, some wicking issues (gets dry) if chain-vaped. Suggest < ~70% VG for better wicking.
  • 1.2Ohm Horizontal: Typical use 15-25W. Lasts about half a week longer than 0.5H, runs warm with better flavor but smaller vapor production, less wicking issues since the same wick as 0.5H run at lower power. Suggest < ~70% VG.
  • 0.5Ohm Vertical: Typical use 20-40W. Last about a week longer than 0.5H, runs cooler, best vapor and flavor all Kanger OCC coils, no wicking issues even with heavier juice, runs 80% VG just fine.
  • 1.5Ohm Vertical: Typical Use 7-15W. Don't know how long it lasts because I gave up on them. Runs cool, ok flavor, horrible wicking. Need to really reduce power and close down air and still gets dry. Smallest hole at 8W is best setup I could do. Suggest at most 50% VG. These are only intended for mouth-lung and I would only suggest them this way but bettered easily by Nautilus.
Those are my general results, mileage may very, juice pg/vg and flavor will alter results, as will your lungs, their size, and how hard you draw. The weather and altitude may also alter results. Happy vaping!

VapNMirrors

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2015
currently, Earth
Lol, thanks. Basically, the new 0.5 vert is their overall best coil though the 1.2H is pretty awesome and can run on non-subohm mods like the iStick 20W. I forgot to mention your results will also vary my the amount you vape! I'm going by daily usage of 2-3 tanks (~10-15ml). Cheers!

Lavaca5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've been using the .5H coils on my Nano for some time now. I go back and forth between direct lung hits with the airflow wide open and MTL hits on the smallest airflow setting, which I think produces the best flavor. My experience is similar to VapMirror's with respect to how long they last - depending on the gunk factor of the juice, at my average tank-a-day usage, I change coils about every three weeks, which makes them very economical even if you don't recoil/rewick. I have only used 1 each of the .5V and 1.2V coils and neither for very long, so I can't comment on their longevity. I was not impressed with the 1.2V at all. I found the flavor to be lacking, and although I never got a dry hit per se, neither was I getting the really saturated, flavorful hits that I get from the .5H coils. For the same reason, I prefer the .5H over the .5V. Although the .5V performs much better than the 1.2V, it still doesn't seem to deliver the dense, "wet" vape that I get from the .5H. That said, my experience with the vertical coil heads is admittedly limited. Also, I have only used the verticals on the new Subtank Mini and have only used the horizontals on the Nano, so perhaps the different airflow configurations on the two tanks accounts for some of the difference. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but even wide open, the single airflow opening on the Nano would presumably constrict the draw more than the two air holes on the Mini so that more juice is pulled into the coil. Seems like a stretch, but it's possible - and maybe worth picking up another couple of .5V coil heads to test the theory. Anyway, I hope some of this helps. Sorry to be so long-winded - I'm obviously putting off starting work this morning :)

DJLEC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Union City, California
I've tried most of the Kanger OCC coils:
  • 0.5Ohm Horizontal : My typical use 20-30W. Lasts 1-2 weeks with heavier juice, runs warm but very good flavor, some wicking issues (gets dry) if chain-vaped. Suggest < ~70% VG for better wicking.
  • 1.2Ohm Horizontal: Typical use 15-25W. Lasts about half a week longer than 0.5H, runs warm with better flavor but smaller vapor production, less wicking issues since the same wick as 0.5H run at lower power. Suggest < ~70% VG.
  • 0.5Ohm Vertical: Typical use 20-40W. Last about a week longer than 0.5H, runs cooler, best vapor and flavor all Kanger OCC coils, no wicking issues even with heavier juice, runs 80% VG just fine.
  • 1.5Ohm Vertical: Typical Use 7-15W. Don't know how long it lasts because I gave up on them. Runs cool, ok flavor, horrible wicking. Need to really reduce power and close down air and still gets dry. Smallest hole at 8W is best setup I could do. Suggest at most 50% VG. These are only intended for mouth-lung and I would only suggest them this way but bettered easily by Nautilus.
Those are my general results, mileage may very, juice pg/vg and flavor will alter results, as will your lungs, their size, and how hard you draw. The weather and altitude may also alter results. Happy vaping!

This is very informative but I have a question;

I am using 70 PG/30 VG with a max of 50 PG/50 VG since I am unable to do High VG.

Which Coil is the best for the Subtank Mini; the 0.5 Horizontal or the 1.2 Horizontal?

My device is 60 Watts.

Reactions: David Wolf

VapNMirrors

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2015
currently, Earth
Depends what kind of wattages you run- If you're using < 20W use the 1.2. For 20+ the 0.5 is the way to go. I like the 0.5 vertical better than the 0.5 horizontal. The vape is a tad cooler and (IMHO) the flavor is better, the vert also build gunk less quickly and doesn't get as restricted when it does.

Reactions: DJLEC

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Spitback on any coil is generally an issue of insufficient power. The juice boils but isn't atomized completely. No more an issue with Kanger than anybody else.

I agree with what you are saying about insufficient power. But in my experience spitback is often symptomatic of vertical coils. I'm guessing because the exposed inner coil is inline with the mouth piece.

VapNMirrors

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2015
currently, Earth
I agree with what you are saying about insufficient power. But in my experience spitback is often symptomatic of vertical coils. I'm guessing because the exposed inner coil is inline with the mouth piece.
Yeah, sounds reasonable- especially with the large diameter coils. I had horrible wicking problems with the Kanger STM RTA and dry hits and gave up on it. I'm also too lazy but have read the V2 RTA is better.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Yeah, sounds reasonable- especially with the large diameter coils. I had horrible wicking problems with the Kanger STM RTA and dry hits and gave up on it. I'm also too lazy but have read the V2 RTA is better.

On the V1 RTA all you need to do is open up the juice channels a bit. Not much, only a mm or so, makes all the difference.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I think maybe you misunderstood me. I took a hacksaw to the little slots at the bottom of the deck, and sawed away at it until they were about 1mm deeper/larger. Some people have used a dremel to cut additional slots in the barrel section of the RBA or drill holes in it. I found that just widening the existing slots in the deck was sufficient.

VapNMirrors

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2015
currently, Earth
I think maybe you misunderstood me. I took a hacksaw to the little slots at the bottom of the deck, and sawed away at it until they were about 1mm deeper/larger. Some people have used a dremel to cut additional slots in the barrel section of the RBA or drill holes in it. I found that just widening the existing slots in the deck was sufficient.
Nope, I follow you & have read of others "fixing" the RTA. Friend of mine says he's had better results rebuilding the OCC heads, so I'll likely do that too to maintain my stock of ready-to-go spares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread