The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Kangertech OCC Horizontal or Verticle. Which is better, longer lasting?

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by Sigmus9, Jul 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    Ok cool.
    I can only tell you that ALL my own attempts at rebuilding the OCCs all ended with unusable results. But once I modded the V1 RTA, every build has been fantastic. Of course everybody is a unique and beautiful snowflake, and many people have had great results with rebuilding OCCs.

• Like Like x 2
  2. DanJiblets

DanJiblets Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 16, 2015
    Shorewood, IL
    I love both of them, but have to say I prefer the vertical. I ordered 3 boxesof occs from fasttech at $10 per box. They show up and ate vertical! Boom! Happy customer. Not sure they last longer, I always toss one after 60 ml or so.

3. cjvdh

cjvdh Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2014
    PA
    I had the same experience with the v1 RTA dry hits constantly.

4. gadgetkeith

gadgetkeith Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 12, 2015
    Heber Srings Arkansas
    i have tried both and i like real gunky juice proper coil killers i find the horizontal ones wick better and when they do gunk to bad i just pull the wick and dry burn then rewick and i am off again

also with the vertical ones when done i just rebuild them as horizontal coils

i have rebuilt a couple of the vertical ones but i just find the horizontal ones are quicker to build and fit my needs better

i always have some old used ones rebuilt so its just a case of swapping out on them lazy days

i normaly save up the dead ones and rebuild a batch here and there

no more buying new ones for me any more i have a few

thats why i love my stm

5. David Wolf

David Wolf Moved On ECF Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I also use 70 PG/30VG, but at high nic (12 to 18mg) and low power, 10 to 14W. I just received the 1.2 ohm Horizontal OCC coils in the mail today but haven't used them yet, but I can tell you my experience using the 1.2 ohm vertical OCC that came with my new subtank mini.
    My new Subtank Mini with the 1.2 ohm vertical OCC that came with it had really good flavor, a really smooth draw, and worked beautifully ...for two days. I was running it 10 to 12 W, second largest air hole. Then it leaked out the airflow holes on a warm day, and I had not even opened the tank to refill at that point. A search online revealed that to be a not uncommon problem with the STM and I saw all sorts of theories and guesses as to why. I'm not much for guessing, so I did a lot of examination and testing to pinpoint the source of the leak. A water test along with covering the air flow holes with my fingers and blowing into the drip tip proved all the seals were tight, no juice on the coil bottom seal, no leaks on the coil top seal. Examination of the 1.2 ohm VOCC revealed that the cotton wicking was protruding into the vertical coil somewhat and was very saturated, so basically the juice was leaking down the veritcal coil down into the air flow rings after two days use.
    My liquids are usually NET's at 70 pg/30vg, pretty thin, and more likely to leak than thicker VG. especially if laid on its side or upon going outside on a warm day. So yesterday I coiled and wicked the RBA that came with it, using a with a fair amount of cotton, and will see how that performs, so far after one day, no leaks, great vape. I will also try the new 1.2 OCC Horizontal coils I got in the mail today sometime in the next week. The only veritical coil I have found that works ok with my thin juice are those for the nautilus mini though it does tend to gurgle in warm weather like every other tank I've tried with verticals (GS Air). So I have high hopes for the new subtank mini OCC horizontal coils.

6. thekraut

thekraut Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    I didn't like the first get occ's very much. Hot vape and and wicking issues with higher vg juice. The new occ's with vertical coils are spot on. Nice dense vapor, good flavour and you can get a nicely warm vape.

• Like Like x 1
  7. chellie

chellie Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    I have a nano and have rewicked the horizontal coils - could not seem to rewick the vertical - can the vertical ones be rewicked or only the horizontal?

8. Opix

Opix New Member

Nov 17, 2015
    I wanted to bump this because I'm having problems rebuilding the vertical coils. Horizontals are fine I guess its Kanger trying to make things difficult for commercial reasons. As a company they are quite devious. Like when they release a mod or tank where the upgrades are obvious and sure enough a few weeks later out comes the newer better version. They will play that trick once too often and people will get annoyed as I know some are already. Some reviewers have stopped reviewing their products until they get their act together. Just think back to the massive first Subtank it fit virtually nothing but was bought because it was a good vape for its time but it did not take long for them to release the 22mm. I've no problem with companies making a dollar but Kanger take the piss.
    So because I am not having success with the verticals I looked online for horizontals and found Gearbest selling them for $6 or £3.89 for 5. I ordered 2 packs but noticed a few days later that the price has now risen. Hope I still get mine as I usually order from EU anbdvthis is a China order. I figure 10 coils should keep my two Subtanks running sweet and the horizontals are an easy rebuild. Happy days.
    Any with success with verticals can you post video link or pics.....:)

9. chellie

chellie Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    I still do not rebuild and use the horizontal to rewick. I order from sweet-vapes because they have a lot of the horizontal ones. I saw a post about rebuilding them and responded - it was a super easy video that even I could do :) and I intend to try it very soon but yes it is for horizontal only. My taste is great with the horizontal so I do not have an issue.

I generally agree with you about the upgrades - I have 2 nanos and am overall happy. The one thing I complained about was constantly refilling the tank since I chain vape so I think the enhancement of a top filling tank is super great. What I am looking into is if that tank only would work with my set-up - I do not care about temperature control and stuff so if the tank works (and they didn't change the size) it would be worth it to me. The other upgrade is the spring loaded pin - and that's a good thing because mine are finicky.

I think some folks get too crazy with the latest -- but that is how companies make $'s. There are a lot of folks who will trash a completely great and satisfying set-up because a later model has come out. I am not cheap at all but think I am a somewhat practical and tend to hold onto perfectly good items for awhile. .... still have an older iphone and do not feel I need the next one. (I had the 3GS forever and still use a Blackberry too) Same way for me with vaping - my set-up works great for me so I am not running out to get the next one. I do not even go over 12 watts right now. It is not necessary but a matter of personal choice. And Kanger did make some good improvements over the last models.

10. Trishalla

Trishalla Senior Member ECF Veteran

:headbang:

I'm considerating the Top box nano vs the joyetech evic vtc, and I have seen gclayton coils.5 and wanted to know if anyone else is vaping these and what the review is on them...

11. euphoria

euphoria Full Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Perfect response and exactly the info I was looking for! Thanks :)

12. mesamay2003

mesamay2003 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 30, 2015
    AZ, USA
    Night and day difference for me...the vertical occ and ssocc are far superior to the older horizontal coils...more airflow, handle more power, better wicking, great taste and zero dry hits for me. They have been very consistent and are inexpensive...oh, they last a long time too.

13. VapNMirrors

VapNMirrors Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2015
    currently, Earth
    I have yet to try the SSOCC coils but would expect they're the same underlying coils as the older cube form-factor vertical coils. I still have a bunch of those kicking around since my STM has been sitting idle since I moved to the SS 0.4Ohm Triton coil. The Triton coil itself is 316L SS and new mods can run it in TC mode. The Kanger SSOCC is just an SS coil housing. Sure, they have Ni TC coils but I've found SS coils have superior flavor and longevity.

14. mesamay2003

mesamay2003 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 30, 2015
    AZ, USA
    Kanger does have a SS coil SSOCC coming soon, it has the pink gasket...

15. sparkey909w

sparkey909w Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 19, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    When I started vaping on smaller tanks i liked the vertical coils better. better flavor IMO.
    I have the Kanger subtank mini v1 and I went straight to the RBA. I did not have any issues with the horizontal coils, I just like to rebuild (saves money). I recently got my wife a subtank mini V2 but I have not tried the vertical coils yet, but if my past experience holds up, i think they will be good. I have built vertical coils on the RBA section and it worked good and I have also modified the RBA v1 by drilling holes into the side, Man what an improvement. I and going to steal my wife's RBA v2 from her setup. lol

16. wheelie

wheelie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 12, 2014
    Ont. Canada
    The new round vertical Kanger coils are the easiest ones to rebuild that Kanger ever produced. Take out insulator and pin. Pop out the top cap and stick in coil, insulator, pin then push top cap back on. Love them as vertical coils are always better IMHO. CHEERS!

17. VapNMirrors

VapNMirrors Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2015
    currently, Earth
    Too late, moving on to ceramic clad coils :pervy: Yeah, I know, Kanger has those coming out too!

18. CanadiVape

CanadiVape Senior Member

Feb 10, 2016
    I've personally had bad luck with my subtank. I've had it for almost a year and I've ordered a uwell crown. Should be here in the next couple days (hopefully!)

But anyways, the original horizontal coil was alright. Decent flavor, decent vapor, expensive cost. Then all of the sudden, every other coil I put in there was just problem ridden. Leaking, gurgling, burning, etc. The guy at the store told me they sometimes make bad batches, and I was probably just unlucky... Meanwhile, 100 bucks later...

The ssocc eventually came out and I was happy to try something new, so I gave that a try. For the first week, the flavor was phenomenal. It really tasted amazing. I really thought this was the answer to my prayers. Unfortunately, the coil gods must have seen me as unworthy. Spitting. Gurgling. Flooding. Burnt. Harsh. All of the above. No matter how much I cleaned, soaked, rinsed, no matter how many new atomizers I've tried. I could never find one that didn't give me trouble. Once again, the vapexperts wrote it off as "unlucky"... 75 bucks later...

So I ordered the crown. I went in the other day to pick up one single coil that can hold me off until the crown comes in, and the guy asked me if I've tried Clapton coils. Curious, I bought one thinking, "what the hell. Can't be much worse". The guy even threw in one extra ssocc for my troubles. Thanks guy.

Welp. Flavor is muted quite a bit. I can barely taste my O-Rangz. But three refills later, no flooding, no burnt hit, no harsh burning throat sensation. No boiling hot nicotine shrapnel indiscriminately laying waste to the soft tissue inside my mouth. Right now, that's worth more than I could ever dream.

And that's my whole (sub) life story. No refunds, drinks are extra. T-shirts $65

19. SanFranAndy

SanFranAndy Multiple ID Suspension Verified Member

Oct 2, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    I just got some SSOCC's in the mail a couple of days ago and they are a bigger version of the ones that I got last time. I guess there has been much confusion about these and Kanger didn't make it easy for anyone to find out. This answered a lot of my questions - Clearing Up the Confusion About The Kanger SSOCC Coils

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.