Status
Not open for further replies.

Regzzz

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2009
NCR, Canada
Isn't 33 watts too much for the subtank mini anyway??

From what I've seen so far, the .5 ohms OCC coils have a recommended 15 to 30 watts rating, but I have not seen any recommendations or ratings for the rba part itself... although I'm sure if you push it too high you'll melt everything that is not made of SS, or burn your lips first! :vapor::danger::mad::censored:

alistairs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2014
Castro Valley, CA, USA
I'm also struggling with this tank. My regular vape is a Nautilus at 11W which I really enjoy. But I wanted to try the subtank mini as it uses the cotton coils.

When I try 1.2 ohm coil at 12W on the subtank (on any air setting) I get next to no vapor when mouth-to-lung, just a harsh hot throat hit and no flavor. If I lung inhale at these settings I get lots of vapor, but still no flavor, and I usually end up coughing a few minutes later, doesn't seem too good to me. I've also tried reducing nicotine, reducing PG mix, 0.5 ohm and prebuilt RBA coil at 15W. Similar results every time. Anyone got any other ideas I could try to get a decent mouth to lung hit?

Randal

Jan 23, 2014
South Dakota
Re-coil the OCC heads, it is just as easy and you won't have to mess with the chimney sleeve getting stuck. RiP did a video on it.

I have thought about that as well, and it does look fairly easy so I will most likely rebuild those as well. But I do want to give the RBA a try, but the great part of this atomizer is all the options available. Plus all of these options are going to be much more cost effective than my Atlantis.

To rebuild OCC or the RBA:
Huge bag of cotton on Amazon-$10-$15
32ft of Kanthal-$5

Or

10 pack of pre-built Kanthal coils-$5

Atlantis coils:
Pack of 5 coils-$15-$20

At that rate, the Subtank will pay for itself in short order. I realize I did not need to list out the costs for each atomizer, but I did just to share my thought process with everyone. I do like my Atlantis but the coils look like a pain to rebuild, whereas the Subtank OCC and RBA look far easier, at least for my skill (or lack thereof) level.

I also want to add that I will be using the Subtank mini on an iStick 30w. So the more I think about it, I got the iStick 30w and Atlantis at the same time, which was actually only about 3 weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
I'm also struggling with this tank. My regular vape is a Nautilus at 11W which I really enjoy. But I wanted to try the subtank mini as it uses the cotton coils.
When I try 1.2 ohm coil at 12W on the subtank (on any air setting) I get next to no vapor when mouth-to-lung, just a harsh hot throat hit and no flavor. If I lung inhale at these settings I get lots of vapor, but still no flavor, and I usually end up coughing a few minutes later, doesn't seem too good to me. I've also tried reducing nicotine, reducing PG mix, 0.5 ohm and prebuilt RBA coil at 15W. Similar results every time. Anyone got any other ideas I could try to get a decent mouth to lung hit?

I'm not "struggling". I too went from a nautilus to this and only did MTL for years with cigs and for the month I've been vaping. But after getting the subtank, I've learned to appreciate and favor lung hits after just a few days.

How much did you reduce your nic? I went from 12mg in the nautilus to 3mg in my subtank.

What brand and pg/vg liquid are you using? Some cheaper brand liquids tend to "break down" and not perform as well at high wattages(so I've been told and learned).

Try the middle airhole setting at 18-20 watts with a 1.0+ ohm build/OCC or 20-22 watts with a 0.9 ohm or under build/OCC with a short 2-4 second lung draw to start. You should be getting great wet flavor and decent vapor. Also try drawing softer maybe?

Anyway, if you're committed to MTL on this wonderful clearomizer then I've found that short soft hits (just let the vapor fill your mouth with a gentle draw) with the first or second airhole do the trick. It does get hot this way but this style of tank is really designed for direct lung vaping. Another suggestion is to get a smaller diameter drip tip, preferably glass or ceramic to battle the heat, and I'm confident you could produce a very satisfying MTL experience from it.

Also, 12 watts even on the 1.2 OCC is too low. Kick it up to at least 18 if you can (don't know what your mod situation is) for better results.

Last edited:

Randal

Jan 23, 2014
South Dakota
I can attest to the MTL to direct lung transition. I have been an MTL vaper for the better part of the year I have been vaping, and for the 15 years I smoked cigs. When I got the Atlantis 3 weeks ago it took a few days to transition to a direct lung inhale, but find that I much prefer it to the MTL I had been doing with a Nautilus Mini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com

A smaller narrower drip tip will also help. i tried the 1.2 and dont like it. I am a mtl and find the rba at about 1.1-1.3 ohm range to work well at 15 watts or so. 2 hole opening. short hits.. Also let your coils break in real good.. This will help a lot on the coughing that comes sometimes.. new coils always do that to me in this tank for some reason..

OMRebel67

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Oxford, MS, USA
I too was a MTL vaper until I got the subtank mini. In fact, at first i thought I wasted my money on this tank. But once I tried a direct lung hit, I was amazed at how much better that is than MTL on a regular tank. The vape production is night and day better and the flavor is really good. I'm using the 1.2 coil on a mvp 20W set at 17 watts. Couldn't be happier. I'm probably going to break down here in the next week or so, and get the mvp 3.0 so I can use the sub ohm coil. I just hope it's worth the expense lol.

Just an FYI, I did a temperature control build on my kanger subtank mini, and I've never been happier. The temperature problems are now gone, and the vape is perfect.

If you've never done a temperature control build, I would recommend you watch this video for information:

Currently my coil is at 0.17 ohms, with temperature set at 450 degrees. 7 wraps of ni200 30 gauge wire around a 3mm screwdriver.

Bammer555

Verified Member
Dec 13, 2014
I too was a MTL vaper until I got the subtank mini. In fact, at first i thought I wasted my money on this tank. But once I tried a direct lung hit, I was amazed at how much better that is than MTL on a regular tank. The vape production is night and day better and the flavor is really good. I'm using the 1.2 coil on a mvp 20W set at 17 watts. Couldn't be happier. I'm probably going to break down here in the next week or so, and get the mvp 3.0 so I can use the sub ohm coil. I just hope it's worth the expense lol.

if your buying the mvp 3.0 just to use the .5 coil on the mini save your money, I use both and don't really see much difference. The 1.2 coil already puts out a ton of flavor. On the other hand if you need another mod for other tanks etc.. and like to try every option you can then go for it! Had I known this ahead of time I would have just used the 1.2ohm coil on my 20watt istick, I usually run the 1.2 the .5 and the rba under 20w anyways.:2c:

southyr6

Feb 2, 2015
Pittsburgh
Add me to the list of former MTL vapers who've converted after using the Mini.

This is not a good tank for MTL. A good MTL hit requires a fairly restricted airflow and this tank, even with the 1.2ohm pre-made coils, gets way too hot on the one hole setting. If you turn your power down too much the coil just drowns in liquid and can't keep up. I'm sure you could make it an excellent MTL tank by building your own coils, but the low ohm coils that come with it sucked for MTL hits in my opinion.

I experimented with direct lung hits at max airflow, and i have been converted. The most satisfying vaping experience of my life. I have my iStick 30W dialed to 15W, running the stock 1.2ohm OCC, and i could not be more satisfied.

P.S. I received a reply from Kanger, and they have no intentions of releasing a stainless steel replacement tank. I might just wrap my pyrex in electrical tape so i don't shatter it. I don't care how stupid it looks. It vapes too good. I'll do what i have to do. lol

Last edited:

Fegbri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2014
Berlin, NJ

This is not a good tank for MTL. A good MTL hit requires a fairly restricted airflow and this tank, even with the 1.2ohm pre-made coils, gets way too hot on the one hole setting. If you turn your power down too much the coil just drowns in liquid and can't keep up. I'm sure you could make it an excellent MTL tank by building your own coils, but the low ohm coils that come with it sucked for MTL hits in my opinion.

I experimented with direct lung hits at max airflow, and i have been converted. The most satisfying vaping experience of my life. I have my iStick 30W dialed to 15W, running the stock 1.2ohm OCC, and i could not be more satisfied.

P.S. I received a reply from Kanger, and they have no intentions of releasing a stainless steel replacement tank. I might just wrap my pyrex in electrical tape so i don't shatter it. I don't care how stupid it looks. It vapes too good. I'll do what i have to do. lol

I can make carbon fiber or other type wraps for the tank. I can even cut in small windows. I do wraps for mods on the side. Let me know if interested.

Regzzz

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2009
NCR, Canada

At this price, you can leave one everywhere you frequent... hihihihi :laugh:

$11.59 Replacement Glass Tank for SUBTANK Mini BDC Clearomizer (15-Pack) 15-pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

southyr6

Feb 2, 2015
Pittsburgh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread