Status
Not open for further replies.

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
How to do you "preserve" a used OCC coil? You guys think if I use an OCC and want to switch a flavor without mixing, I can just stick the used one in a Ziploc and use it again some other time?

i just leave mine out and switch when i feel like it, but yes use a ziplock if u prefer especially if storing it for awhile

southyr6

Feb 2, 2015
Pittsburgh
How to do you "preserve" a used OCC coil? You guys think if I use an OCC and want to switch a flavor without mixing, I can just stick the used one in a Ziploc and use it again some other time?

jj6404 - This doesn't answer your preservation question, but i wipe my OCC coil down with a paper towel really well, swab any excess juice out of my tank with a q-tip, then add the new flavor. After about 5 vapes the new flavor pulls through and i can't even taste the previous. This works well for me even when switching from heavier bakery flavors to fresher fruit flavors to cinnamon flavors and anything in between. I wouldn't want to switch from a tobacco type flavor to a fresh fruit or vice versa though. You could always give that a try if you haven't already.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
I too was a MTL vaper until I got the subtank mini. In fact, at first i thought I wasted my money on this tank. But once I tried a direct lung hit, I was amazed at how much better that is than MTL on a regular tank. The vape production is night and day better and the flavor is really good. I'm using the 1.2 coil on a mvp 20W set at 17 watts. Couldn't be happier. I'm probably going to break down here in the next week or so, and get the mvp 3.0 so I can use the sub ohm coil. I just hope it's worth the expense lol.

I still plan on getting one. but by the time it's all said and done it will be 100 bucks or better to use it :(

I'm sorry guys, but why would you even consider buying that thing anyway??? I'm referring to the MVP3.0 of course. I watched indoorsmokers and pbusardo's review for it and I just don't get it. It's what, 60-70 bucks?! for a 30 Watt mod that is HUGE by today's standards. Why don't you just get an iStick 30w for freakin $35. I don't know what Innokin was thinking with this one but it looks like they are falling behind in the game. Isn't the Cloupor mini around the same price and just a bit bigger than the iStick? That MVP is the biggest 30W mod in 2015. There are 50W mods smaller than that thing. And why the high price point?? Watch Pbusardo's review, tanks don't even sit flush on it! You have to hold the up/down buttons for 2 full seconds before you can even adjust anything and it doesn't lock your settings! Who would spend $60 on this thing I don't get it!!

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
OK so, I just got my kanthal 26 gauge in the mail, and I decided to try my first build. Keep in mind I'm a newbie here and this was my FIRST build attempt. I wanted to do something above 1.0 ohm so I could vape my 6mg nic juices. I was doing 12mg in my nautilus mini, 3mg for the 0.5 ohm OCC in my subtank mini. Now, forgive me if my vape logic is wayyy wrong but I did about 8 or 9 wraps of 26 gauge here around the screwdriver that came with the subtank and it read exactly 1.0 ohm on my istick.

subtankcoil.jpg

Heated it up, squeezed it together, wicked it with some 6mg nic juice, took about 3 little hits over a few minutes at a whopping 15 watts and BAM instant headache and nicotine rush. Can someone explain what the hell I did wrong?

JC87

Feb 4, 2015
OK so, I just got my kanthal 26 gauge in the mail, and I decided to try my first build. Keep in mind I'm a newbie here and this was my FIRST build attempt. I wanted to do something above 1.0 ohm so I could vape my 6mg nic juices. I was doing 12mg in my nautilus mini, 3mg for the 0.5 ohm OCC in my subtank mini. Now, forgive me if my vape logic is wayyy wrong but I did about 8 or 9 wraps of 26 gauge here around the screwdriver that came with the subtank and it read exactly 1.0 ohm on my istick.

View attachment 410000

Heated it up, squeezed it together, wicked it with some 6mg nic juice, took about 3 little hits over a few minutes at a whopping 15 watts and BAM instant headache and nicotine rush. Can someone explain what the hell I did wrong?

6mg nic will also give me a head rush if I take too many hits. 3mg seems to be the happy medium for big lung hits

Here is a good resource for planning your coil builds

http://coiltoy.ermeso.com/

Last edited:

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
I had my last burnt hit with the mini today. Put it on the shelf, back to my trusty CLT. I went through the. 5 occ coil in about 2 days then wicked the rba making sure ends just touched the deck and juice channels clear. Every 3 or 4 hits had to do primer puffs. Reminded me of the protank 2 days. Will have to try again when my regulated device comes in.

I'm using the RBA on my mini with a 0.52 coil build. I did the wick straight up, put the sleeve on, tucked them down to the deck, then added 2 short pieces of cotton on the sides. Wicks great, and I run it at about 32 watts. Never a dry hit. 50/50 juice.

Regzzz

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2009
NCR, Canada

View attachment 410000

Hey JJ. you are right on the ball! you did everything right and your logic is on... (looks like you did your homework!! hehe) well except that perhaps 6mg is too much for you in this setting... it does deliver fast hehehe looking good in the picture, having a closed coil (micro coil) is the way I do it also.

The only thing I can suggest is either lower you nic to 3mg of cut down on the watts,,, (I vape 6mg at 7 to 10 watts very often) on a similar setup as you: 26 Kanthal, 8 wraps on 3.0mm for a 1.0 ohm build)

PS: to answer the other question you had,, yep, just put that OCC head in a zip-lock bag (remove air) and it'll keep for a long time!

Cheers

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL

They get rank, truly. Rinse it out at least.

But I doubt as some claim you're going to be re-wicking these without distorting the winds.

Then you'll wish you hadn't when you do.

Good luck jj.

p.s. BTW, that was not a bad first build jj.

Subbie Minnie hyper-density, chain clouds at 15W…

410014d1423262642-protank-microcoil-discussion-img_1433a.jpg

Last edited:

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
Hey JJ. you are right on the ball! you did everything right and your logic is on... (looks like you did your homework!! hehe) well except that perhaps 6mg is too much for you in this setting... it does deliver fast hehehe looking good in the picture, having a closed coil (micro coil) is the way I do it also.

The only thing I can suggest is either lower you nic to 3mg of cut down on the watts,,, (I vape 6mg at 7 to 10 watts very often) on a similar setup as you: 26 Kanthal, 8 wraps on 3.0mm for a 1.0 ohm build)

PS: to answer the other question you had,, yep, just put that OCC head in a zip-lock bag (remove air) and it'll keep for a long time!

Cheers

Thanks. So what does the diameter of the coil determine?

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
Was having some bad burnt hits after rewicking my previous rewicking for the rba and the included 0.5 coil w/rayon.
Then I rewicked but this time with the intention of more is better, more as in diameter of wick not length.
Used about 1/3 diameter if rayon coil, rolled gently between palms, pinched one end to get it through coil then feed it through coil, it was very tight going through, well long story short went through a full tank at 24 watts and no burnt dry hits, crossing my fingers on 2nd refill.

When i got that burnt hit a few times I got Vape shy and very tentative as it really hurts the throat,

I'm using tapatalk now but if any1 wants more details let me know and I'll post it here

Reactions: Oregon Linda

The Dog Guy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2015
New York
I'm sorry guys, but why would you even consider buying that thing anyway??? I'm referring to the MVP3.0 of course. I watched indoorsmokers and pbusardo's review for it and I just don't get it. It's what, 60-70 bucks?! for a 30 Watt mod that is HUGE by today's standards. Why don't you just get an iStick 30w for freakin $35. I don't know what Innokin was thinking with this one but it looks like they are falling behind in the game. Isn't the Cloupor mini around the same price and just a bit bigger than the iStick? That MVP is the biggest 30W mod in 2015. There are 50W mods smaller than that thing. And why the high price point?? Watch Pbusardo's review, tanks don't even sit flush on it! You have to hold the up/down buttons for 2 full seconds before you can even adjust anything and it doesn't lock your settings! Who would spend $60 on this thing I don't get it!!

Some people want the huge battery bro. It's also really durable like most of innokin's MVP series. It's all preference

Regzzz

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2009
NCR, Canada
Thanks. So what does the diameter of the coil determine?

THAT my friend, is a very good question! If you look around the forums for the answer to that, you will find a few thousands answers and, according to the authors, they are all the correct one... hehehe

I'll just tell you that in MY experience, it took a little bit (some may say a lot) of trial and error... testing different sizes with different wire gauges... and different numbers of wraps. I vividly remember trying sizes and resistance level that some people swear it is the best ever setup you could ever build, and turns out that I really didn't like it, or it doesn't work for my setup...

look around and learn from all, but be sure you build a coil for your setup... mouth to lung or direct to lung, makes a big difference.. ..

I ramble too much...

What does the diam determine... well for one thing, bigger diameter allows you to put more length of wire in the same width of coil, so increasing the resistance... also allows you to feed in thicker cotton... but to tell you what diameter is best for you... I could only tell you that my current setup is what is working for me today.. .. hehehe

lots of people here say: YMMV... Your Mileage May Vary... and they are correct.

R

Paramaniac413

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2014
South Central PA
Has anyone tried one of these with the subtank:

http://www.vaporbeast.com/curved-drip-tip.html

I've been playing with mine today and have found it a little too warm (stock 1.2 OCC). I did use the 'finger over the single hole' for a tighter draw since I am a mtl lady and it was much easier. I still think I need a juice that isn't as harsh in it...the Kringle's Curse is too much, even cut down. I built a coil today that I haven't tried yet - Kanthal 26 with 6 wraps. On the deck it read at 1.56 Ohm. I definitely need to practice my wrapping...tremors and wrapping kinda suck!

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
Has anyone tried one of these with the subtank:

http://www.vaporbeast.com/curved-drip-tip.html

I've been playing with mine today and have found it a little too warm (stock 1.2 OCC). I did use the 'finger over the single hole' for a tighter draw since I am a mtl lady and it was much easier. I still think I need a juice that isn't as harsh in it...the Kringle's Curse is too much, even cut down. I built a coil today that I haven't tried yet - Kanthal 26 with 6 wraps. On the deck it read at 1.56 Ohm. I definitely need to practice my wrapping...tremors and wrapping kinda suck!

6 wraps got you 1.5?? What diameter? What did you wrap them around?

Randal

Jan 23, 2014
South Dakota
Got my Subtank Mini in the mail today and so far am really enjoying the 1.2 ohm coil! Have only ran 1 tank of juice through it so far but I look forward to many more.

I ordered through myvaporstore.com and the RBA has the clear insulator so I am not sure if I will ask for a replacement from Kanger, order one or just use it as is.

One issue I did run into with it is threading it onto my iStick 30watt. It would only screw down about half way before becoming tight. So I cleaned up the threads the best I could with a towel and metal brush but that only helped a little. I tried it on other devices I had and didn't have any issues just an issue with the iStick 30w. I also had a bit of an issue threading the Atlantis onto the iStick but not to this extent. But my nautilus mini and others screw onto the iStick perfectly. Eventually after working it a bit by screwing it on and back off I was able to get it most of the way screwed in but there is still a bit of a gap. Anyone else have any issues like this?
0240cdb6a28dc4f21727bd06fd318303.jpg
ae45718395b0b42785f6dda25041cc4f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
One issue I did run into with it is threading it onto my iStick 30watt. It would only screw down about half way before becoming tight. So I cleaned up the threads the best I could with a towel and metal brush but that only helped a little. I tried it on other devices I had and didn't have any issues just an issue with the iStick 30w. I also had a bit of an issue threading the Atlantis onto the iStick but not to this extent. But my nautilus mini and others screw onto the iStick perfectly. Eventually after working it a bit by screwing it on and back off I was able to get it most of the way screwed in but there is still a bit of a gap. Anyone else have any issues like this?]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have the exact same setup, istick 30watts & subtank mini, screws down smooth & flush

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread