Kanthal temp control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
so after a YouTube browse I came across a video by the twisted420 guy claiming temp control on kanthal. Mod the was using which claimed to have it was a hohmwrecker I believe. Just curious if anyone has seen this aswell and their thoughts/opinions on it? Is it genuine or just some bs?

The only kanthal you can use in TC is NiFe52 and would require a TCR adjustable pcb board to be accurate .............

Kr0nik0

Feb 5, 2016
I self.posted yesterday on ECR concerning this topic:

VapingWithTwisted420 Said: "Hell, if they come out with Kanthal TC, it'll be firmware upgradeable" during today's review of the iStick 100 TC. Would Kanthal TC be possible? If so, how? • /r/electronic_cigarette

The best answer anyone could come up with was "Couple mods are claiming kanthal TC currently. But it's most likely guestimation based on the TCR of kanthal being almost immeasurable without expensive and accurate equipment."

With the information I have so far, I believe it's fair to say that TC mode using Kanthal wire is not viable without a secondary temp. measuring "sensor" inside the coil/tank/RDA.

Reactions: mauricem00

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
only a matter of time before somebody finds an alloy better suited to vaping.

kanthal was developed specifically to have low change in ohms with temperature.

I don't have any nichrome yet because I assumed I'd be better off without the chromium, but turns out kanthal has a lot of chromium in it and so does stainless steel.

the ijoy asolo and ijoy solo mini a supposed to do regular tc, and another mode with tc (burn protection) with any wire.

based on my observations so far,
with nickel, my resistance might double temporarily while vaping;
with kanthal, it might go up 2%. (and whether that 2% is truly due to resistivity variation of the coil alone, or other factors, is a question.)

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
I don't have any nichrome yet
I use N80 in my drippers. I like it a lot. It heats faster and at lower wattage than Kanthal. Cools faster too. I put some in a CLT2+ and actually had to close off the airflow a little bit because it was cooling the coils too much when I puffed on it. Made for denser clouds though, so it was a win.

toddbumpa

Jun 19, 2009
Seattle, WA
The new Kanger Kbox mini that's part of the Topbox kit supports Temp control for Kanthal, Ni200, Ti, SS, and NiCr. Kanger TOPBOX Mini Starter kit

Now if they could just release a statement explaining the new "SSOCC" coils....Todd at Vapor Authority provides some good info here: Clearing Up the Confusion About The Kanger SSOCC Coils

*Looking at the coils on Kanger's website, all the different coils seem to have grey insulators now. Maybe they're going to clairify the soecs/uses with a stamp on the coils going forward?????
Kanger SSOCC (Stainless Steel Organic Cotton Coil)

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I can assure you that just because some Chinese person with a poor grasp of the English language happened to include Kanthal in their list of "TC Coil Support" that doesn't mean the TOPBOX really does TC with Kanthal.

It will claim it's running in TC mode, but it's still going to give you dry, burnt hits. There is no shutoff if you fire it with a dry coil.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
The hOhmWrecker v2 has, I believe, upped the resistance resolution by a couple of places.
I'm properly dubious, but reports are saying it's functional Kanthal TC.

The Asolo Kanthal trick is properly called "Taste Control".
It's doing something, just not sure what beyond dry hit protection.

The Kanger has NiCh TC mode, though I haven't yet seen good reviews of it's performance.
No claims of Kanthal TC that I've seen though.

And yes... the O-Ring color scheme of the new Kanger SSOCC heads is real.
Blue - Nickel
Black - Kanthal Clapton coil
Red - NiChrome
Pink - the rare as hen's teeth Stainless Steel wire. Still looking for those myself.

I've tried TCing the NiCh heads on my TCR Adjustable mods... but, no joy.
Perhaps Kanger upped the resolution on their new mods as well. Don't know.

JackdawFool

Mar 7, 2011
CT
I have the kanger topbox mini. For temperature control, on the display you can select from Ni, Ti, SS, or NiCr. However, the user manual states that Kanthal temperature control is supported and that you should use the NiCr setting for it.

I haven't tried it out with Kanthal, but Kanger is consistent in saying it's supported on this mod, so take that for what it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread