Kanthol vs Nichrome???

Status
Not open for further replies.

release the kraken

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Stalking the Mailman
I did a search on the forum for nichrome, and saw some people say they use it, but I was unable to find any discussions directly discussing why one would. So my questions:

1. Is there even a difference between the two or is it just name brand like coke vs pepsi?
  2. Are there any quality differences, longer lasting, more solid construction?
  3. Easier to coil?
  4. Better resistance more/less with per coil count or no difference?
  5. Is there any specific reason why someone would buy one over the other?
If this has already been covered to death and my search just didn’t bring up the right threads, feel free to just link to the ecf thread.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: CbrVapeRR

release the kraken

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Stalking the Mailman
Thanks much sir. And thanks for your testimonial about which one you prefer. So thats one vote Kanthol...

I have read those previously and temco is going to be where I end up purchasing bulk. They also have a great write up on the flat kanthol and how it directly relates to vaping Flat Ribbon Kanthal and its potential advantages over the normal round.

To be a little more specific I am looking for a direct side by side comparison of kanthol vs nichrome as I am not an electrician I do not trust myself to go back and forth between descriptions and correctly compare each spec. Additional testimonials of one over the other are always welcomed. :)

release the kraken

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Stalking the Mailman
I like wrapping microcoils with nichrome. The lower resistance lets me add a few more wraps without going to a bigger wire gauge which takes longer to heat. For regular coils I prefer kanthal for the opposite reason - fewer wraps needed to hit the target resistance.

Thanks @zipp so less wraps with kanthol a-1 vs more wraps with nichrome = same resistance?

Has anyone come across a good "chart" or rule of thumb of (x) amount of wraps at (y) gauge generally produces (z) ohms?

fourtytwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
Toronto

fourtytwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
Toronto

Zipp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
There's no need for a chart. The resistance of the wire in ohms per foot (or inch) should be mentioned on the site you bought it from. Figure out the resistance you want, cut a piece big enough to give slightly higher resistance (to make up for the part you attach to the posts), and wrap it up. The actual number of coils doesn't really matter. Since every manufacturer's wire is a little different, you'll have to get a feel for the particular wire that you bought.

The reason why I try for more wraps when making microcoils is that they're so small that most of the wick is basically wasted. The more wick your coil is in contact with, the better it'll perform. With regular coils, you can just spread them out a bit to make sure you're not creating small dry/burnt spots in the middle of the wick when you vape.

release the kraken

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Stalking the Mailman
Thanks @zipp and @fourtytwo.

I guess I just see everyone "measuring" their rebuilds as 4-5 coils and they get certain ohms vs adding one more coil and then they get more ohms is why I was looking for a coil number to ohm type chart. Breaking it down to the basic fundamental fact that its simply the length of wire was very helpful.

fourtytwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
Toronto
I find the best way is to use a multimeter. You do have one don't you? If not, get one asap.
Pull out a length of wire and touch the two probes to the wire, an inch or two apart. Look at the ohm reading. Move the probes closer or farther apart until you have the target ohm level you want. That is the length of wire that must be between the terminals in order to have the resistance you are aiming for.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Great, accurate and useful information from fourtytwo. Kanthal is not a type of wire but the name of a manufacturer who makes resistance wire. They make several different alloys, and nickel chromium is one of them.

I also endorse the idea of knowing exactly how much wire you need to achieve the target resistance. That trick of measuring the desired length by moving the probes closer or farther apart is spot on. No wasted wire and nearly perfect resistance every time.

EmeraldLeo1982

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma
As far as I know there couldn't be such a chart that would tell you ohms per wrap because everybodies wrap is different, flaws, kinks, wrap diameter, etc. Best method is "Ohms/ft divided by 12" then figure out how many inches of wire you need, and wrap whatever type of coil you're looking to make that fits in your atty, and hit it with a multimeter to make sure it won't kill your battery or your throat.

release the kraken

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Stalking the Mailman
I find the best way is to use a multimeter. You do have one don't you? If not, get one asap.
Pull out a length of wire and touch the two probes to the wire, an inch or two apart. Look at the ohm reading. Move the probes closer or farther apart until you have the target ohm level you want. That is the length of wire that must be between the terminals in order to have the resistance you are aiming for.

I had seen another post where the person mentioned using the multimeter but I do not have one as I was just going to wrap and use my vv device to check final ohms. With trimming the ends after putting in the base post and rubber grommet (im doing this for kanger attys), I didn't know difficult the "pre" measure would be and getting it close after the final trim down. So off to amazon to get multimeter and it does make the most sense and easiest way not to waste wire.

EmeraldLeo1982

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma

How does the post removed resistance idea work with something like a clear where there is no posts. I have approximately 1.6ohms worth of wire coiled into my clearo but it's not the rebuildable/replaceable type so the leads just slip down into and get held in place by the silicon ring onto the firing pin. That's close to .75 inch of wire that's not coiled so am I actually vaping on like .9 ohms on my ego battery?

fourtytwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
Toronto
I had seen another post where the person mentioned using the multimeter but I do not have one as I was just going to wrap and use my vv device to check final ohms. With trimming the ends after putting in the base post and rubber grommet (im doing this for kanger attys), I didn't know difficult the "pre" measure would be and getting it close after the final trim down. So off to amazon to get multimeter and it does make the most sense and easiest way not to waste wire.

A multimeter is like an xacto knife. You never know how useful it is until you have one.

How does the post removed resistance idea work with something like a clear where there is no posts. I have approximately 1.6ohms worth of wire coiled into my clearo but it's not the rebuildable/replaceable type so the leads just slip down into and get held in place by the silicon ring onto the firing pin. That's close to .75 inch of wire that's not coiled so am I actually vaping on like .9 ohms on my ego battery?

Same idea applies. If there are no posts, it is the length between where the wire makes electrical contact. In your case, it should be from the point where it contacts the centre post and the point where the other end contacts the body of the base.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com

Resistance is measured across the total length of the conductor(s), not all of which may be resistance wire in some types of atomizers. In some types of atomizers, there may be a length of wire that provides very little resistance and is meant to carry current to the load itself. In most rebuildable systems, the load is the length of resistance wire.

Look at it like you'd look at your toaster. There are conductors that carry the current to a load, and that load converts the electrical energy into heat and light. Plug it in, mash the button and the resistance wire ribbons light up, creating heat that toasts the bread.

It's the same idea in an atomizer. Some atomizers have only resistance wire. Some have wire that conducts current to a set of posts, to which coiled and wicked resistance wire is attached. The total resistance of the circuit is found by putting your probes on the two circuit terminals. The total resistance of the load itself is found by putting your probes on the two ends of the wire carrying the load.

If you're rebuilding coils, you really do need a good multimeter. Don't rely on cheap potentiometers found in VV/VW devices. At least not for any long period of time. A good multimeter might set you back $30 or so, but you will be amazed at the multitude of things you can test and do with it. And not just PV related.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
fwiw some of the "micro coil" threads there are attempts to provide an approx. resistance for # of wraps, given specific gauge and type (k or nich) and importantly as well, diameter of the wick which affects the length of the wire.

nichrome will have less resistance than kanthal in same gauge.

good info in this thread.

Reactions: CbrVapeRR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread