Kayfun microcoil build on evic

Status
Not open for further replies.

betterthanyou

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
southern california
Had some kanthal laying around and wasn't sure what gauge it was, I'm guessing it was 30. I did an 8 wrap microcoil that came out to 1.1ohms. Does that sound right? Wicked with cotton. Getting very good flavor, good throat hit, and good vapor production. However I thought 1.1ohms wouldn't fire on an evic? Does this mean there is a short somewhere?

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Had some kanthal laying around and wasn't sure what gauge it was, I'm guessing it was 30. I did an 8 wrap microcoil that came out to 1.1ohms. Does that sound right? Wicked with cotton. Getting very good flavor, good throat hit, and good vapor production. However I thought 1.1ohms wouldn't fire on an evic? Does this mean there is a short somewhere?
No... it's unlikely - unless the diameter was well less than 1/16" - that you could get 1.1Ω with 30 gauge at 8 wraps. On a 1/16" mandrel at 8 wraps, off the top of my head, you would need 27 gauge Kanthal to obtain that resistance.

This will tell you why it's unlikely that you either are not at 1.1Ω - or you've misjudged the wire gauge.

Ga...... Ohms/ft./in. @ 68F
24...... 2.04 - 0.17
26...... 3.31 - 0.28
27...... 4.15 - 0.35
28...... 5.27 - 0.44
29...... 6.55 - 0.55
30...... 8.36 - 0.70
32...... 13.1 - 1.09

Many APVs will fire below their suggested minimum resistance. It all depends on the microprocessor programing - and level of accuracy in deciding what is acceptable resistance, and a short. They won't necessarily deliver beyond their amperage limitations, but they may fire a few 10ths below specification.
innokin APVs are notorious for firing several 10ths below their 1.3Ω suggested limit, but as they are regulated to 3 amps, going below that resistance is of no advantage.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Flux, that was, hands down, the best explanation of gauge resistances I've ever seen. You win the internet for the day :toast:
Golly gosh Papa, I've never won the entire internet.
rolleyes.gif
Does anything useful come with that title?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread