Kayfun v4/Russian 91% hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andygev35

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2011
Covington, Georgia
Let me start off by saying I'm a die-hard mouth to lung vaper. I've tried sub-ohming, and it's great (for what it is). However I really don't like hitting the fire button, inhaling for all I'm worth as quickly as possible in order for my subtanks to function properly. I was missing the calm, relaxing mouth-to-lung experience that I had grown to love over the past 30 years.

Enter the Kayfun style RTA.

On a whim one day while at my local B&M, I purchased an hcigar Kayfun 3.1 (actually a Russian Clone) and was immediately blown away by the experience and flavor. This was nirvana!! I really loved it, but was underwhelmed by the side-fill port. So I started using the tried-and-true 'top-fill-turn-close-air-hole-recap-turn-upside-down-tighten' fill method. While this was effective, it became tedious for simply refilling the tank and I started longing for something a bit simpler.

Enter the Kayfun v4.

I finally broke down and purchased a couple of KF4 1:1 replicas (since I can't' afford to drop $160 on an authentic) and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE how easy refilling this thing is. The flavor is amazingly good. I was satisfied with the KF4 but I noticed just the tiniest little bit of moisture was getting into my airflow causing a slightly annoying not-quite-gurgle with every draw. After doing a lot of research, the consensus is that the o-ring inside the base around the square-ish section is likely at fault. I've tried several different sizes of o-rings and can't quite get it to stop the phlegm-like gurgle.

Enter the hybrid.

Since I had several Kayfun style tanks to scavenge parts from, I decided to see if I could come up with some sort of compromise, and I think I got lucky. I had a couple of FT Russian 91% clones laying around and discovered that the short bottom chimney section was the exact diameter of the chimney in the KF4. All I needed was a way to seal that chimney to the inside wall of the KF4 cone section. I stacked a couple of o-rings inside the cone, assembled the works and EUREKA!! The ease of filling the KF4 (still need to cover the air hole on the base) with the flavor and performance of a Russian 91%.

If you're as finicky as I am when it comes to something working properly and can't afford the performance and reliability of authentic top-shelf RTA's you might get lucky by trying something like this.

front.jpg
breakdown.jpg
cone.jpg

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Filling a K3 from the side port is a mess with a hypodermic needle, needle cap on a bottle, or a bottle with a fat tip. My juice comes from Madvapes in 50ml bottles and has a tip like the picture below. The tip on the bottle fits tightly and fills the K3 tank in about 10 seconds with no leaking. You can even feel a little thread grab sometimes as you pull it out. From start to finish I'm done with a K3 tank fill in less than 60 seconds.

The o-ring on the square part under the coil deck is the #16 o-ring. If you order a pack of 12mm x1.5mm rings from Orings and More | Affordable and Quality Gaskets and Seals you will stop the weeping from the air holes. The coil deck ring needs to be changed often just because it's removed and replaced for every wick change. You can get a pack of 25 or 50 o-rings (all same size) from the URL above for under $5.

images

Reactions: Andygev35

Andygev35

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2011
Covington, Georgia
The o-ring on the square part under the coil deck is the #16 o-ring. If you order a pack of 12mm x1.5mm rings from Orings and More | Affordable and Quality Gaskets and Seals

I've tried 11x1.5mm, 12x1.5mm and 13x1.5mm o-rings. I don't get any leaking or weeping with any of them, however I'm inclined to believe condensation is causing the slight crackling gurgle. Not sure there's actually a fix for that. My little science project seems to be working fine at the moment tho. In the meantime I'll be ordering some high quality Buna or silicone o-rings to replace all of the cheap rings that these clones all come with. Hopefully my setup will last in its current configuration until then.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've tried 11x1.5mm, 12x1.5mm and 13x1.5mm o-rings. I don't get any leaking or weeping with any of them, however I'm inclined to believe condensation is causing the slight crackling gurgle. Not sure there's actually a fix for that. My little science project seems to be working fine at the moment tho. In the meantime I'll be ordering some high quality Buna or silicone o-rings to replace all of the cheap rings that these clones all come with. Hopefully my setup will last in its current configuration until then.

I walk around with my K3 and K4's in my jeans or shorts pocket. Sometimes, it's just expansion from warmth in the tank that causes weeping. Mine is usually around the air holes and that's from an over saturated wick caused by the warm juice expanding. There's a certain amount of condensation involved, too.

ian91

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Westbank, BC Canada
I bought a piece of crap EHPro Kayfun V4. Kept having issues with the ohms fluctuating and I tried reversing the airflow pin but did not crimp it so that it would not move. Ended up seizing and I cannot get it apart. Anyway, I liked the top cap as well and tried it on a KFL+ but was getting some flooding. I tried it on a Kayfun Monster and, with that, I can just remove the top, fill it up, put the cap back on and vape away. Not sure what the difference is but it works like a charm.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have three K4's and all are Tobeco. They are good tanks, but the design is way too complicated. There's too many parts to deal with. The part I like most is that you can remove the coil deck without spilling all the juice. That makes it easy to replace a wick and dry burn the coil without draining the juice first. What I don't care for is the free flow at the drip tip. I don't lung inhale and I prefer something that vapes like a cigarette filter.

I'm back to the K3 for my everyday vape. With the right juice bottle tip you can remove the screw in the fill port and use an empty juice bottle to suck out the juice while the tank is inverted with the fill hole on the bottom. Then, you can unscrew the bottom and service the wick and coil. Afterwards, I just flip it bottom up and refill from the bottle I used to suck out the juice and top it off while the fill screw is out.

My K3 is an EHPro and I'm happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread