Kayfun V5 dry hits, air, leakage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
If I get my kayfun (authentic) V5 to function properly, it's shear luck! I'm running 50/50 liquid viscosity. I got so aggravated with it, I ended up purchasing a kayfun V3 and have had none of the issue I experience with the K5. The main issue with the K5, is that it pulls in air and vapor-locks the chamber. No flow to the wick/coil nest assembly = dry hits. Once the air is purged from the unit, that should be it until the next refill. The kayfun V3 (clone) works perfectly! Never an issue - joy to vape! I haven't spent time researching possible causes, but I suspect it's a design issue. Tight tolerances require smaller o-rings, smaller o-rings equal leakage. The constant need to bleed air from the liquid chamber means the unit is taking in air via Venturi. The slightest twist of one o-ring, and BAM! Leak city! Anyone else experience the same?

Reactions: stols001

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
I decided to take matters in a more proactive direction. I examined the device, and determined that the upper o-ring (just under the build deck) would logically increase velocity during draws; hence inducing Venturi Effect via leaks at the chamber base o-ring. I removed the upper o-ring, used the same coil/wick assembly (so not to confuse the results) and filled the chamber to full. I've been hitting the dog-chit out of the K5 now for over 2 hours. Not a single dry hit, and no vapor-locking. Flavor and cloud production has intensified as well. Oh, happy day! :)

For now, I'm going to consider the upper o-ring redundant.

Last edited:

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Sounds good. O-rings can be responsible for all sorts of issues you'd never think they could cause. I've had airlock issues with the K5 (clones, in my case) that vanished once I started making a point of lubing the o-rings on the base with VG whenever I rewicked. I still haven't explained it to my satisfaction, but it's completely resolved the issue with two separate units. My best guess is that they were sticking to something and blocking the juice flow holes.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Sounds good. O-rings can be responsible for all sorts of issues you'd never think they could cause. I've had airlock issues with the K5 (clones, in my case) that vanished once I started making a point of lubing the o-rings on the base with VG whenever I rewicked. I still haven't explained it to my satisfaction, but it's completely resolved the issue with two separate units. My best guess is that they were sticking to something and blocking the juice flow holes.
I was lubing the o-rings as you said, but it wasn't always a guaranteed fix. Sometimes it would solve the issue, other times not. Removing the top o-ring not only solved the issue, I'm now seeing increased performance in both flavor and (not important) cloud production. Flow adjustments are also easier. I think if they would have gone with a slightly larger base o-ring vs the 2 x o-ring configuration, this would have never been an issue.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
I think if they would have gone with a slightly larger base o-ring vs the 2 x o-ring configuration, this would have never been an issue
As I have never heard of that problem (alternating leak/dry hit) with the kayfun 5 before I don't think it is a design issue, many more people would report it if that were the case.
You most likely got one with a defect.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
As I have never heard of that problem (alternating leak/dry hit) with the kayfun 5 before I don't think it is a design issue, many more people would report it if that were the case.
You most likely got one with a defect.
There are several posts on other forums in regards to this issue.

RicRat

Verified Member
Jun 23, 2012
SAN ANTONIO
I decided to take matters in a more proactive direction. I examined the device, and determined that the upper o-ring (just under the build deck) would logically increase velocity during draws; hence inducing Venturi Effect via leaks at the chamber base o-ring. I removed the upper o-ring, used the same coil/wick assembly (so not to confuse the results) and filled the chamber to full. I've been hitting the dog-chit out of the K5 now for over 2 hours. Not a single dry hit, and no vapor-locking. Flavor and cloud production has intensified as well. Oh, happy day! :)

For now, I'm going to consider the upper o-ring redundant.
Which o-ring exactly? Can you post a pic showing which one you removed?

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Which o-ring exactly? Can you post a pic showing which one you removed?
It's the first o-ring down from the top of the build deck. There's another o-ring at the base of the build tower/center post. Same diameter, larger circumference. I've been using it for several days now without issue. Hits great - no air locking - no leaks! :)

When you bleed the air off, it comes out much easier as well. I believe the upper o-rings' primary purpose is to prevent liquid from leaking through the mouthpiece; should the atomizer become inverted. If you invert it without the upper o-ring, the liquid WILL leak out. I don't invert my devices, so this isn't an issue for me.

IMO, the Kayfun V4 is a superior device. The glass tank is smaller, but using the included plastic tank (Tobecco clone) lets you double the capacity. I prefer the glass tank, as I don't like my liquids to come into contact with plastic of any kind. If you research nicotine, you will find that nicotine is aggressive where plastics are concerned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread