Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
What is it about vaping that keeps you vaping? Im sure there are many answers but for me, nicotine is probably the main reason. Secondly, i think the many different flavors keep me interested. And clouds. When i started vaping, massive clouds just werent possible. At first, vaping equalled hysterical coughing fits and more than a few times i thought id never be able to adjust. But it was simply a matter of adjustment. Now, i enjoy the clouds and view it as a sign my lungs have cleared up and able to hold more volume than when i was still smoking. These things keep me vaping. And even when i break over and have an occasional cig or two, i ALWAYS go back to vaping. I simply dont have the desire to start smoking again. Thats my story and im sticking to it

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Good question. My first thought is that I just need it. If I can't vape for a while I start to get edgy. Maybe that's just the nic, not sure. Maybe it's partly habit. Like a security blanket. People get that way about their cell phones and other stuff where there isn't anything chemical to be addicted to.

Apart from that it's fun. Like any other hobby you build up a collection of stuff, and enjoy learning more and trying out new stuff and so forth. Knowing you've beaten back the cigarette demon feels good too. And being part of an in-crowd.

The list is probably different for everybody.

sorrynomore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Canada
The only reason I vape is to keep away from the ciggies.My wife still smokes and so do some of my best friends and once in a while when sitting with them I'll break down and have one.If it weren't for the vape I'd be smoking FULL time at pack and a half a day like I did for over 40 years.

I no longer cough up half a lung and grey oysters every morning so I'm getting there .... one or two is much,much better than the pack and a half...I just wished I could say NO...it's a long hard struggle!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Vaping was the only way I was able to kick a 35+ year smoking habit.

Although my nic concentrations has dropped from 18mg to 3/6mg after 7 years of vaping, I still get edgy when I crave for a vape. So I guess its for the nicotine still. It's also habit (hand to mouth behavior and the inhale/exhale behavior) because the nic gum and patches didn't do a thing for cravings. It's like my vape is my pacifier.

upload_2018-9-27_15-42-48.jpeg

Marst

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2011
Austria
I also started vaping 7 years ago as I abruptly had to stop smoking 2 packs a day as I had a (small) heart attack.
First of course it was the nicotine, I started with 18 mg.
And having a cigarette sized 0,5ml scrap thing first, an ego next Between my fingers.

First of course with awful Tobacco liquids and then [ what a crazy idea I thought 1st] I tried Kiwi - and loved it!
Since then I stick mostly to fruits, besides coffee and Italian tiramisu and for a very long time am down to 3 mg.
After approximately three months vaping I by mistake grabbed a cigarette and simply was disgusted by how awful it tasted. Since then I can’t understand anymore what I had done the last 30 years smoking. But I do not at all mind if someone smokes around me. I just can’t understand it.

So what keeps me still to vaping?
The many various great tastes. I love being able to change the taste every few puffs, as I mostly have two or three different filled devices with me.
A Toy to play around in use and in preparing (mixing liquids or coiling e.g.)
Enjoying new technical solutions of tanks and mods every now and then. (current favorites after Joytech Cubis are the GG Tilemahos’s, and last the Kayfun Prime.
Mods: Dicodes, Heatvape invader for rough, wet outdoor as its fully drop&water proof.
Last darling is the Asmodus Colossal in ‘Curve mode’. This means high Watts for the first split seconds to heat up the coil fast, and then in steps reduce to normal -which for me is around 20W. The Dicodes also can do it, but I never understood how to set it up correctly.
Side effect: If I Vape chocolate, tiramisu or cakes I don’t eat so many of them anymore.

Last edited:

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I'm newly off the cigarettes having totally quit July 12th of this year. Before that I was a duel user for years. I have my regular vapes with 6% and a few pods with 24% - 35% nic. My SO still smokes and I believe I'd start smoking again if I quit vaping.
I've learned in the last six months that I have cardiac issues and if I start smoking again it will only make things worse. I'm not willing to do that.
So until I'm confident that I won't return to smoking I vape. And I'm not only enjoying the vaping itself and all the different flavors but I'm enjoying learning new things. I've been working on building and about to start DIY liquid. It's enough to keep me interested and vaping for reasons other than my health.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Vaping keeps me safe from smoking. The way I smoked was going to kill me YOUNG and not easy either, long, drawn out slow death by drowning on my own fluids. I understand that without vaping, I would likely have to return to my death. I was at the doctor today and she said my lungs sounded "clear."

I have not heard my lungs described that way for over three years. It was a big deal, actually.

There are other benefits, like flavors, enjoying the hobby aspect, keeping myself busy, etc. Vaping is far more PLEASANT than smoking I can taste things, exercise, have more energy and fun.

The bottom line however is that I vape not to die. I do keep that in the forefront of my mind. That I am HAPPY not smoking is NOT just a side benefit, I have quit before and been miserable enough to return to smoking even if at least a part of me realized that it wasn't a good plan.

It makes me really sad this is under attack.

Anna

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I vape because it produces big clouds that look cool while I am playing air guitar and listening to my Kiss records. Shout it, shout it, shout it out loud!!

Seriously though. I vape because after trying so many failed NRT’s it allowed me to kick a 35+ year habit. And because of that I have developed a great passion for all things related to vaping. I am a techie at heart so I have taken a great interest in the technology and evolution of vaping. I also find the whole vaping experience to be very therapeutic. Smoking was just a simple action to feed an addiction where vaping requires a level of concentration and commitment. It maybe repetitive to a certain degree but it is enough to keep me interested. It has allowed me to progress and take on new challenges. I also use vaping as a tool to help others break away from that very same ball and chain that I was tethered to for the past 35 years. This brings me great pride!

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Wow. So many different but similar answers. Its sort of what i figured though. But i am proud to say that in the beginning for me, had it not been for this forum and everyone here, i would have had a lot tougher time with it. This, and a few infomative YT videos. Ive come a long way in just over a year, from drop in smok coils to building my own. I dont recall if i asked a lot of questions at first or mainly just read all the posts and threads a lot, but ive learned what i know about vaping from all of you. You kept me going when i thought i wouldn't be able to make the switch. Kudos all around!!

UpNorth

Sep 3, 2018
Tundra, Minnesota
Smoking $10 a pack x 1.5= $15 a day x 30= $450/month x 12= $5400/year
Vaping $3 per day x30= $90month x 12= $1080/ year
Savings of = $4320/year

New Corvette $120,000/$4320= 27.70 years adjusted for inflation lets say + 10 years = Living long enough to save enough money to buy a new Corvette in 37.7 years = Totally worth it !!!!!!
Yeah I didn't want to DIE!

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2018
What is it about vaping that keeps you vaping? Im sure there are many answers but for me, nicotine is probably the main reason. Secondly, i think the many different flavors keep me interested. And clouds. When i started vaping, massive clouds just werent possible. At first, vaping equalled hysterical coughing fits and more than a few times i thought id never be able to adjust. But it was simply a matter of adjustment. Now, i enjoy the clouds and view it as a sign my lungs have cleared up and able to hold more volume than when i was still smoking. These things keep me vaping. And even when i break over and have an occasional cig or two, i ALWAYS go back to vaping. I simply dont have the desire to start smoking again. Thats my story and im sticking to it

Mine is slightly different to yours but almost similar. For one I don't chase clouds as I mostly vape inside the house and too much clouds can be bad for my electronic gear, so I chase flavour more than clouds. Even though I have a Pyro RDTA which I vape only in the evening which pumps out a decent clouds. But again I like it for the immense flavour that it gives.

I don't have the occasional ciggie, I see it, go hard or go home, so I vape all day every day instead.

But nicotine it seems that most of us have an affiliation on. I need my nicotine for sure. Nicotine is one of the main focus on me keeping on vaping. :D:D:D

Reactions: stols001

FΛDED

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2017
Austin, Texas
What is it about vaping that keeps you vaping?

The ritual; vaping after eating, after running/gym, driving in my car, drinking, listening to music, etc. I wouldn't know how to function without it. Chores would suck more too. Can't imagine washing the car or mowing the grass and not having that celebration I'm done for the day vape. That's probably my favorite vape.

Jo Harvelle

Sep 17, 2018
Los Angeles
Vaping is good. I recently started vaping after getting suggestions from my friends and getting suggestions at the forum. Feeling awesome after vaping.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Mine is slightly different to yours but almost similar. For one I don't chase clouds as I mostly vape inside the house and too much clouds can be bad for my electronic gear, so I chase flavour more than clouds. Even though I have a Pyro RDTA which I vape only in the evening which pumps out a decent clouds. But again I like it for the immense flavour that it gives.

I don't have the occasional ciggie, I see it, go hard or go home, so I vape all day every day instead.

But nicotine it seems that most of us have an affiliation on. I need my nicotine for sure. Nicotine is one of the main focus on me keeping on vaping. :D:D:D

What kind of electronics are we talking about? I have a healthy investment in audio gear. Just sold a $6k turntable earlier this year. In comparison to cigarette smoke, which some electronic manufactures will void warranties if detected, I feel 2nd hand vape is no where near as harmful. My only concern with electronics and smoking was the smell which isn't even a concern with vaping.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Flavor. Then cool factor. It also stops me from smoking around folks who don't dig on cigarettes or the grandson with his pure, clean-uncorupted (yet) lungs.

I also prefer to vape around the younger crowd at work. It shows them that old guys can change too. Most don't smoke but the ones that do respect my mouth to lung style instead of smoking. As a rule they think big clouds is a fad, but see using a vape instead of a cigarette regardless of style as a good thing.

Nicotine is present in low numbers and probably helps me not smoke as much. But it was not an important reason to start vaping. My goal is to be tobacco free first, then nicotine free (unless it's the kind naturally occuring in my potato or chocolate).

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Been about 8 months since I stopped smoking and started vaping instead.

What keeps me vaping is mainly to stop me smoking - I prefer the flavours of vaping, vaping inside as opposed to smoking outside, health benefits and the cost.

Despite shinyitis, I'm still saving $40/week.

I also love the hobby aspect of vaping - diy ejuice and diy coils.

Edited to add: Nicotine is also a major reason - without it I'm grumpy as hell ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread