Status
Not open for further replies.

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
I've messed around with a lot of coil combinations. The things I've found that work best for me are the simple ones. My OBS engine tank is running on .19 to .2 ohms with a dual coil setup of single strand 22 gauge wire wrapped on a 3.0 Coil Master post and firing at 55W. My Derringer clone dripper is at .3 ohms with dual pre wrapped Kanger coils and firing at 35W. The dripper almost seems to out cloud the tank even running 20W lower. I truly love the dripper but it's just not practical for travel so the tank is on most of the time. I'll give you a rare shot of my dripper on top of the Nano Steampunk though.

TLDR: Sometimes simple coils just work better than the fancy stuff. Here's a shot of my Nano Steampunk with the dripper on it.

IMG_20170913_181247.JPG

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Agreed, yet you can't tell that to the "It" crowd clowdz brahz, I look at my builds from the perspective of safety followed by battery and juice efficiency.

Current setups running the most lately

Provari Mini 2.5 or Joyetech VTC Mini /w Russian 91% @ 1.65ohms with 28awg NiCr80 running about 8watts or 3.7v on the Provari
Kanger Subtank Plus on a Kbox 70watt @ 0.75 ohms with 26awg NiCr80 running in the 20 to 30watts ranges depending on stress during the work day
Helios V1 on Sig150 0.2ohm dual coil /w 24awg NiCr80 running in the 40 to 60watts range

All just basic simple micro-coils

Do have Derringer myself sitting unwicked and idle, triple parallel dual 30awg NiCr80 2.5mm in the 0.6ohm range, out clouds just about any Fused Clapton or Juggernaut Build I've cloud comped against in only the 55watts range, and the looks of shocked defeat are always "Priceless".

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
I'm rocking something I haven't done in a long time. 26g dual coil parallels. (2 strands of kanthal wrapped around 3.0mm coil master rod) 0.31 ohms and I'm happy with this.

I've tried a fused clapton, but meh. It looked good but parallel feels better vaping.

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
I'm rocking something I haven't done in a long time. 26g dual coil parallels. (2 strands of kanthal wrapped around 3.0mm coil master rod) 0.31 ohms and I'm happy with this.

I've tried a fused clapton, but meh. It looked good but parallel feels better vaping.

I never could master a parallel build. Couldn't keep the wires together tight enough and always ended up with gaps or a tangled mess.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
I never could master a parallel build. Couldn't keep the wires together tight enough and always ended up with gaps or a tangled mess.

Neither can I without the coil master. I just put 2 strands through one of the holes, use the other part and do the wraps just as you would with 1 strand. Did it perfectly for me.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've messed around with a lot of coil combinations. The things I've found that work best for me are the simple ones. My OBS engine tank is running on .19 to .2 ohms with a dual coil setup of single strand 22 gauge wire wrapped on a 3.0 Coil Master post and firing at 55W. My Derringer clone dripper is at .3 ohms with dual pre wrapped Kanger coils and firing at 35W. The dripper almost seems to out cloud the tank even running 20W lower. I truly love the dripper but it's just not practical for travel so the tank is on most of the time. I'll give you a rare shot of my dripper on top of the Nano Steampunk though.

TLDR: Sometimes simple coils just work better than the fancy stuff. Here's a shot of my Nano Steampunk with the dripper on it.

I've been doing the same for years now. Works for me too :thumb:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Oh I have found simple builds best, but mainly because I'm at the stage where coiling and wicking is still hard. Though, as a 1.0 and above person, there's really no reason for me (that I can think of) to be making crazy complicated dual *whatevers* all it's going to do is vastly increase the amount of metal I have to heat up and I will also have the "joy" of attempting two wicking activities.... No thanks... :)

Anna

frosc

Jan 23, 2017
i'm on the "keeping it simple" crowd as well lol.
Tried claptons, fused claptons, aliens, stapled, personally none of those fancy coils was significantly better than simple round wire builds for me.
6/7wraps, 2.5 ID, 26ga Nichrome is my go-to build. Clean crisp flavor especially on my NarDA and Recoil.

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
Neither can I without the coil master. I just put 2 strands through one of the holes, use the other part and do the wraps just as you would with 1 strand. Did it perfectly for me.

Even with the Coil Master, I can't keep em together. I guess I'll just stick to my single strands. The 22 gauge I'm using really doesn't need more than that anyway. LOL

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I like to keep things simple in most cases especially when something is complex. I've been making SS dual coil Claptons and using the Daedalus for wrapping the outer coil, great tool. I started using multiple strands of wire to get specific resistances rather than one larger wire. Multiple strands give me the correct resistance and the outer winding holds things together. Maybe I get better vapor production since the liquid can get into the inside. I'm not sure how long I've been using the present coil in my tank, rough guess would be 2 or 3 months at least

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I just got a Voopoo Drag, been using it since I got it, they have a update with new files that can be put in, I put in 7 out of 27 and got a few extra things installed. I also down loaded the original file with the initial software that can bring me back to the original package. Put my name in for the start screen. Works great with SS coils in temp mode and handles any resistance. Still not sure what I'll do with the other files, wish they put a description rather than numbers in the name of the file. The original is the simplest I might just stick with that and just so the start screen change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread