KGO or E-power 14650 ????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

eko824

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Honestly, I just got my e-power about 3 weeks ago and it's really not all that much better than my big ego batteries. They last about the same, and I don't notice too much difference between 3.2ish volts and 3.7v. I've never had a single problem with any of my ego batteries, but I've had terrible luck with the 14650's. One out of two that came with it still works and the one I bought from madvapes was defective. The charger is pretty terrible too, it requires a bit of fiddling to get the battery to start charging. The threads on the e-power aren't great either.

It also kinda pisses me off that with 3 weeks of use the silver coating is coming off the switch already. I've used my ego batteries as bottle openers and they still look like new after almost 4 months.

If it were me, I'd get a riva 1000 kit. Best of both worlds from stuff I've tried personally. I'd rather give up the interchangeability for something that requires less screwing around.

Have you tried the Kgo? They're better than the Riva 510's and Riva UNC I had.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
...I just hate to keep complaining about something that may be the manufactorer's fault...

It probably is the manufactures fault, but I recommend letting the vendor know so that he can work with his vendor to get the problem corrected. When your second unit failed, your vendor would probably have been happy to replace it to keep you as a customer. The problem being, the replacement might have been from the same run. I suggest a friendly e-mail, pointing to this thread and asking for some help. They might be able to give you a reduced price if nothing else. Never hurts to ask, and you certainly deserve to ask.

As for something with more push, check out the kgo unit (ego clone from slb). As with all our stuff, you can still get a bad unit but your vendor will probably take care of you if that happens. hoosierecigsupply.com 1100mAh eGo battery whips AW 18650 IMR - YouTube

Last edited:

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Since I have both the KGO and E-power, I would saaaayyy that I use the KGO more than the E-power. Why? It hits harder. The E-power will only do 3.7V and even then underload, it's lower than that. The KGO will hit at 3.81 with low resistance and 4.18 with regular resistance. It's also a matter of what YOU want. Do you want to be able to replace the batteries at a fraction of the cost of a proprietary battery such as the KGO? It's up to you but the KGO, in my book, it the better of the 2.

northhar

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2011
CanTheBan
At least it's working...my two non working switches blink off and on twice,then go out,like they're shorted out. The one that works when it wants to works for a while, then u push the button and it stays on and won't go off at all-you have to unscrew the unit...see what the problem is...

I have an e-power and had that happen to me blink on and off than go out. I cleaned the threads on the switch and the tube with a cloth and it started working again. The switch by blinking on and off than going out seems to be some kind of circuit saying it has a bad connection.

These tubes are aluminum with a brass insert and seem to oxidize causing a bad connection.
It would also be smart to mark the batteries + side big because if you put the battery in backwards the switch is fried. This device dose not have reverse polarity protection (added circuits)

The fact that the e-powers at least the ones I got did not come with a manual and a tube mod requires more work than a ego battery, such as greasing the threads, cleaning the threads every now and then, watching how you put the battery in, learning how to properly screw together the switch and the tube body (never force it, listen for the click of the thread seating and so on.

The advantage of having a reasonable tube mod purchase price, low cost batteries, I have 4 and change them out before they get to 3.8 volts for my vaping and replaceable parts, were what I was looking for.

Hope this help.

stace

Aug 25, 2011
Oly, WA
We don't have e-powers so I can't compare, but I can say that we love our KGOs. My husband was looking for something that would have longer battery life than our Rivas so we decided to give the KGOs a try. They do seem to hit a bit harder than our Rivas do and the battery life is awesome. They last a day and half for me and about a day for my husband, though we're usually using one of our Rivas too since we like to have at least a couple of pvs set up with different flavors. I like our Rivas a lot, still in fact reach for them more often when I'm heading out because of the smaller form factor, but I love our KGOs. Throw one of our homemade tanks on top and I'm a happy camper because I don't have to mess with anything for quite a while.

We ordered our KGOs from Bill at Dark City Vapor. He's got a special through the end of September - use code ECFDCV for 15% off, choose first class mail and you can get a KGO kit for just over $38. He only has them in the rubberized black finish though. That was fine with us, especially given the great price. The rubberized finish feels buttery soft in your hand, not slippery at all. We liked our KGOs so much (and the customer service at Dark City) that we just ordered another kit on Sunday. It arrived Wednesday and now we've both got two KGOs. Happy indeed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread