Koolada Wierdness

Status
Not open for further replies.

bah-num

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Florida
Hey all,

So, I've tried Koolada twice. Both times were with citrus based juices. The first time I was using just a bit (about 1 drop/3ml), and I noticed a strange "herbal" taste/quality to it. Kind of like what you get with spearmint. A very "leafy" kind of taste. I figured I was using too much, even though most recommendations are around 1 drop/ml. So, the second time I dared to try it I used even less, only 1 drop/ 10ml. i can't really tell if it had much impact, since the juice in question had menthol in it too, but I liked the juice so I started vaping it regularly. Every so often (just before I went to bed last night, and just as I was leaving work tonight), I get that damn herbal taste from it. Not lime, like the juice should taste, but mentholated lawn clippings. What gives?!? After a little while it goes away.

Koolada isn't supposed to have a taste, it's just supposed to be cold on the throat. I can understand if you use too much there might be some adverse effects to the juice, but even using only 10% of the generally accepted usage shouldn't have even much of a positive effect on a juice, so it certainly shouldn't have a negative one! I live in hot-as-hell Florida, where a breeze on an unseasonably cool 80 degree day can give you a chill. I want a cool refreshing juice that isn't overly menthol tasting... seems that's not gonna be possible without also having to taste what vaping lawn clippings is like... sorry, rant over.

Anyone else experienced this before?

TIA

CharlieGirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
Lehigh Acres, FL
Uh, nope, can't say I have, and use it fairly often. In fact, the one time I accidentally overused it, it still didn't really have a taste, it just kind of burnt my throat a little. We are all so different though, you may taste something that few else can. There is a joose vendor I won't name that so many people adore, so I tried them and all I tasted was waxy, perfumy, soapy stuff that belonged in the bathroom not in a PV! Yet the same exact flavors I thought were so gross, everyone else raved about! Go figure!

bah-num

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Florida
You may be right... it may just be my taste buds. Every flavor has highs and lows. Sometimes it tastes at its best, other times it doesn't. Then you come back to it later and it's awesome again. Maybe that's what's happening here, and that when the flavor is off that's just how it tastes with Koolada for me. So, it's still the Koolada... but it might be mostly me.

tencentcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2010
denton tx
The plot thickens.

I think it is the mixture with menthol... but it's mostly my vivi nova tank. I try the same juice in a 306 atty and it tastes great. Oh well.
I've been mixing Koolada with menthol extract for months with no I'll effects. Every once in a while the throat hit might be a bit too strong (which is saying a lot for me).

bah-num

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Florida
UPDATE:

Haven't had this happen in almost 2 weeks. The only change I've made is I now use a different supplier for my menthol. I was using Flavor West menthol, now I'm using TPA menthol and not only have I not had that odd taste when using koolada, but this menthol from TPA is much stronger and so I only need to use about 40% as much as I normally would with the FW stuff.

Oddly, the only consistent commonality with every occurrence of this strange taste is that one of the ingredients was from Flavor West.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Odd. I do use Koolada (love it with lemon- so refreshing) and never noticed the leafy taste. I got the flavoring from Wizard Labs which I think uses TPA flavorings. Vapor Bomb makes a great menthol, Artic Ice. No actual taste to speak of, just cool. I get it in zero nicotine and sometimes use that in place of Koolada. Love it with peach/watermelon/pinapple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread