Kraft foods and PG - new product

Status
Not open for further replies.

afrazier5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Ever heard of this one? Just saw an ad for it on TV and find it VERY interesting about their ingredient description. Makes one wonder if maybe us vapers have some big industry secretly fighting for us....

<click the 'What's in MiO' link> MiO | Facebook

MiO is a liquid water enhancer that allows you to make your drink, your way. Each of MiO's six exciting flavors are:

• Caffeine-free
  • Calorie free per 8 fluid ounce serving
  • Carbohydrate free and considered a free exchange
  • Sugar free
  • Free of artificial flavors
MiO is sweetened with Sucralose, a calorie-free, artificial sweetener that is 600 times sweeter than sugar. Generally, non-nutritive sweeteners are calorie free in finished products because they impart high sweetness intensity and are needed only in very small amounts to give desired sweetness to a product. Artificial sweeteners provide sweetness without adding calories to help individuals watching their calorie and sugar intake. To maintain color and freshness, MiO does use certain preservatives and artificial colorings.

Propylene glycol is a common additive found in many products, such as frostings, candies, baked goods, and frozen desserts. It is considered by the FDA to be "generally recognized as safe" for use in foods. Propylene glycol is a component of the flavor in MiO Liquid Water Enhancer and helps to distribute the flavor evenly throughout the product.

Moonflame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Smith Mt Lake area, Va, USA
I got the Sweet Tea and the Berry/something else that I can't remember. I like both of them even with the slight fake sugar taste that I normally hate. The didn't give me a migraine like diet sodas do, which was my main worry. I guess there is so little stuff compared to the amount of water you put it in that my body can handle it better. I was wondering if you could use it to flavor nic juice too. Anyone willing to risk an atty to try it out?

afrazier5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Maiahmae that is exactly my point of posting this. I don't care that it's a new product on the market or how it tastes but rather that their marketing specifically points out the PG and speaks to it to educate the public. Looking at the comments on it on the FB page though, there are still many uneducated folks that need to be led down the right path.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
wait you can vape this stuff?

Nobody said to vape it.... they were talking about PG and the public perception of it in general. I wouldn't choose to vape it since it has artificial colors and preservatives....

I like the idea of this product, to reduce my soda intake and use flavored water. OTOH, I'd miss at least some of the Caffeine (for a while). Hope it does raise awareness on PG. What was your local cost??????

Moonflame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Smith Mt Lake area, Va, USA
I thought about buying caffeinated water to mix it in so I wouldn't miss my caffeine :).

It is amazing how many things PG is in. It's the main inactive ingredient in Children's Cold Medicine and Cough Syrup too. Also the main ingredient in most flavorings in the grocery store. And KY Liquid is just PG and Glycerin with some preservatives.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Isn't this stuff just regular flavorings rebranded? I know that Capella markets their flavorings in a similar way, but all of the ones we use to make juice with can also be used in an identical fashion.

Ya know, that's a great point. Anyone else use e-juice DIY flavoring for another purpose (besides candy, I suppose)? I guess I could just use it for flavored water...... tobacco water... yuck. Grape, OTHO...... Hmmmm.... Anyone use grape e-juice?

I have tried some lemon and lime. But I just use lemon juice in water for that. Why use the flavorings? Grape, OTHO, or other more complex flavors.... I wonder how cost effective it is.

Any thoughts on other uses?

ShannonA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Tyler, Tx
Maiahmae that is exactly my point of posting this. I don't care that it's a new product on the market or how it tastes but rather that their marketing specifically points out the PG and speaks to it to educate the public. Looking at the comments on it on the FB page though, there are still many uneducated folks that need to be led down the right path.

But will the public trust their information anymore than we vapers trust the FDA's? We're talking about the same industry that has been adding msg to our food for how long?

Maiahmae

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2011
Michigan
LOL so I ~had~ to educate the people that replied about the PG in the product. my post (to save a trip) went as follows:

dj

I recently fell for the catchy commercial for a new Water Enhancer. They play a song stating, "That's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh, I like it uh-huh, uh-huh ! Well I bought two different flavors and tried each. It really doesn't taste that great with its aftertaste, but I figured I would finish what I bought. I offered some to a person at a recent meetings and she looked at the label and said…"Oh, look at all those chemicals". I then looked myself and the third ingredient is Propylene Glycol. I seem to remember that this is Anti-Freeze! I looked up Propylene Glycol and it is used in anti-freeze, tire sealant, fabric softener, de-icing agents, wallpaper stripper, brake fluid, adhesive, paint and stain removers. I read where the government states a small amount in food is not harmful, but do we really need these toxic chemicals in our water for the sake of taste? Needless to say, I threw both containers away. "That's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh, I like it….not so much.

Which I replied:

Ya know, water is also in antifreeze... and the only reason PG is in there is to make antifreeze safer for the pets owned by forgetful owners. PG is safe. Propylene glycol is an FDA-approved additive for military dietary rations (Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry 1997). Also Visit Dow Propylene Glycol where I found this:

Propylene Glycol is commonly used in cake mixes, salad dressings, soft drinks, popcorn, food colorings, fat-free ice cream, and sour cream. It also protects food from freezing and is used to as a food preservative.

Just saying... relax, if it's good enough for the military, isn't it good enough for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread