Status
Not open for further replies.

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Kraken peeps, looking for some advice...

I got a brass Kraken as part of a giveaway from craft vapery earlier this week. So far I just can't get it to play nice.

Originally it was built with a single coil, SS rope and mesh by someone else and was running around 1.2. However the taste was very very metallic (not burnt - just metallic, like licking tinfoil) and harsh, burning my sinuses, with not a lot of vapor.

I rebuilt it with a single coil, steel rope and an XC-116 sleeve to .7 and had the same problem.

Earlier today I took it all apart, cleaned it thoroughly and ran it through the ultrasonic cleaner, then built it with dual coils at .45 using just XC-116 (no rope). The metallic taste was gone but TOO HOT. WAY TOO HOT. :D It was spitting and burning my tongue.

So I rebuilt it again with dual microcoils (about 10 wraps of 28g, big interior diameter so it didn't constrict the wicks) and XC-116 wicks at .7. Flavor is good, but again, vapor production is really poor.

I've tried adjusting the airflow so it's wide open and no go. It's wicking fine - I never get burnt hits, but man, no vapor. :( I added some straight VG to see if that would help and it didn't make too much difference.

Any thoughts (other than using cotton, which I don't use because it irritates my lungs)? Isn't the Kraken supposed to be a killer vapor producer...? Or did I misunderstand?

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
I never followed up... but I figured it out. :)

I eventually built at about .5 with 26g kanthal and nothing but XC-116. It vapes beautifully, wicks wonderfully right down to the bottom of the tank, no metal taste, and I can dry burn it when the coils get gunky. It's been awesome.

13951687287_e5e9264898.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread