Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
And lock up your credit card. As we all well know, you don't have to leave the house to spend money :facepalm:

LOL. I know that all too well! Even the classies are a danger to me. Especially the classies, where everything sounds like such a great deal. Maybe I should just go get a job in a vape shop. May not be the pay I'm used to, but the commute would be better and I'd enjoy it.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Basic DIY. Don't try to get too complex - keep it to single flavor mixes so you don't have to throw out a lotta "heartache and regret" from over-flavored mixes that can end badly. Starting is easy if you keep is simple.

Good advice Rick :).

Also, check out the DIY forum. Ton of good info on how to DIY juice. Definiteoy read Hoosier's blogs on DIY. Saved me a lot of experimenting to figure things out when I first started making juice.

Mix PG, VG and flavors and get that pretty much right before adding nic base. The nic base is the most expensive ingredient. It will change the taste a bit, but you're 90% of the way there at that point.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
About two weeks after I was notified that I had 60 days to find a job in the company, or would be out of work, I hit a heavy depression.
Keep some double-nic juice handy for those days.
DIY can cost as little as $.50 / 10ml
Dry burning can make a wick last up to 3 months, saving wick and wire.
Spend $80 on a professional resume
Put in for any job you are remotely qualified for.
Within my company, I put on 98 job requests, got 4 interviews and one job offer.
Specal note on networking:
If other people were laid off at the same time as you were, get together via some kind of IM app and keep each other apprised of what jobs are there and give each other advice on interview techniques. If you go for an interview and can tell it's not going well, a mention of someone else in your group can go a long way toward them getting a job. The more people in your group that gets jobs, the more encouragement the rest feels, and once in a company, those people can keep an eye out for other opurtunities to share. Make sure each member that gets a job has copies of the resumes for everyone else.

Also, people who vape do not have the same lingering odor as smokers and are automatically viewed as having a more "hygienic" impression. Sad, but true.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
About two weeks after I was notified that I had 60 days to find a job in the company, or would be out of work, I hit a heavy depression.
Keep some double-nic juice handy for those days.
DIY can cost as little as $.50 / 10ml
Dry burning can make a wick last up to 3 months, saving wick and wire.
Spend $80 on a professional resume
Put in for any job you are remotely qualified for.
Within my company, I put on 98 job requests, got 4 interviews and one job offer.
Specal note on networking:
If other people were laid off at the same time as you were, get together via some kind of IM app and keep each other apprised of what jobs are there and give each other advice on interview techniques. If you go for an interview and can tell it's not going well, a mention of someone else in your group can go a long way toward them getting a job. The more people in your group that gets jobs, the more encouragement the rest feels, and once in a company, those people can keep an eye out for other opurtunities to share. Make sure each member that gets a job has copies of the resumes for everyone else.

Also, people who vape do not have the same lingering odor as smokers and are automatically viewed as having a more "hygienic" impression. Sad, but true.
In a way, I think vaping may have been part of the issue. I hit some anxiety attacks when I quit smoking. It wasn't just the nic I was relying on with cigs apparently. At the same time, they hired a terror of a woman, who compounded the issue. I went on some meds, which actually made the situation worse. I am in the process of getting things adjusted, weaning, what have you. Meanwhile, although they fired the terror, the company has been restructuring, and most of what I was hired for is now being automated. The operational, paperwork end of things. They were hoping I'd pick up on being a community prescience I think, but I wasn't quite in the stats of mind to deal with people. I did what a client asked, I was polite, but I wasn't talkative and friendly I guess. They gave been hiring people from the hospitality industry mostly lately, and that was t something that was ever a strength of mine to start with. I was hired for ppwk and technical skills, and that part of the job disappeared. I just couldn't adjust.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Sucks you've been laid off... hope you get back on track asap :)

As others have pointed out, DIY is probably the best money saver there is. Apart from finding a cure for shinyitis. There is also the middle ground. Pre-mixed concentrates. I buy quite a bit of those for Mom&Pop and T-Juice flavors. Costs more than DIY, but less than most pre-mades. A batch of 75-100 ml of T-Juice liquids mixed from concentrates cost me about $5 in flavorings.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Welcome to the real world. Prepping is the only way to go. Get yourself to the diy forum and read.

I'm a mother of two and in my 30's. I'm well aware of the real world, and I've held several real jobs. This is the first time I've ever been let go like this. Evey other job I've quit to move on to another save for a seasonal position years ago that I only took because I just got divorced and my ex husband didn't want me to work after my son was born. I took what I could then.

Kbennett65

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
Northern, Wi, USA
So sorry to hear that! I can empathize, my hubby was laid off for a temporary plant shut down about 6 weeks ago, the shut down was only supposed to be a couple weeks and it seems there are no plans to reopen again for at least a couple of months. It sucks! At least his lay-off was expected though it's been longer than expected. Your situation must be a real kick in the teeth coming out of the blue.
Sounds like the best money saver for you might be DIY. You might find you really like it and decide to stick with it even after finding a new job. Good luck getting something else right away!

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
On my mobile so I can't quote, however, you would have to check the terms of your severance, but my wife was able to collect benefits even with her severance when her Verizon call center was closed.

Food for thought.

I don't think I can in my state. If I'm bringing in more the. $450 gross pay per week, I can not claim unemployment. I'm thinking I may swing by my fav vape shop and tell them. They are taking off and normally packed. I wonder if the owner would like someone with some experience on the money side of things for a bit, along with help with customers. His sons are working there, but they're young and the place is staffed with their friends as well. If I can score something off books, I'd actually be doing better then I had I think, even if it's a retail wage.

That's all there is in Staten Island anyway, and the commute to Manhattan is likely a large part of my undoing. I was exhausted before I ever stepped through the door at work. Worn down, beat down, missing my kids... I was polite to clients, but I couldn't give that company my life, and that seems to be where they want to go. They hired younger people without families, are planning on holding more after hour events that these employees would need to stay for... Our clients were all business start ups, and as a result work was their life. They stayed after hours, and needed the center to be their social lives along with their work lives. I couldn't do that. I'll never be able to do that. I want to kiss my kids goodnight and tuck them in at the very least. Staying after hours adds even more time to my commute, and often meant that I went 24 hours without seeing them. This lay off is likely better for me then staying would have been.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
If anyone can help with some simple recipes we can start with, that would be great. Both hubby and I enjoy sweeter ones. Deserts, cream, caramel... I enjoy sweeter fruits, but he doesn't like fruit at all. He enjoys coffee flavors, but I don't. His favorite coffee flavor is Free State Vapor's co kona something or other. It's pretty strong to me, but he loves it. I suspect fruit would be simpler then deserts, but surely I can mix some vanilla, caramel and sweetner, right?

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Sorry Tinkie.

Hope you find something soon.

Maybe taking a look at your available toppers, with an eye towards juice conservation, will help get you through.

Some set ups go through more juice than others.

The dual coils for sure, but hubby is pretty into his Tobh. Also, if we start mixing, those drippers will likely get more use then ever. The Aqua clone may go in a box though. One of my favs for flavor, but it eats juice with dual coils, and leaks with a single coil no matter how much I stuff cotton in the unused half. The Kayfuns are likely what I'll be sticking to for the most part. Still not as conservative with the juice as a clearo, but I have wick and wire and I'll make up the cost by rebuilding over buying coils. Unless I rebuild clearo coils of course, but in that case I'd need to buy a bunch of clearos. I've given my sister most of mine when I switched from them. Also somewhat regretting not making more space for vape gear in the kitchen cabinet. I've been passing my unused stuff on in the Treasure Chest along with supplying my sister. If anything breaks of mine.... I have plenty though. More then I really need, so there's a cushion that'll last. Good while.

joesquid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Chesapeake, Va
If anyone can help with some simple recipes we can start with, that would be great. Both hubby and I enjoy sweeter ones. Deserts, cream, caramel... I enjoy sweeter fruits, but he doesn't like fruit at all. He enjoys coffee flavors, but I don't. His favorite coffee flavor is Free State Vapor's co kona something or other. It's pretty strong to me, but he loves it. I suspect fruit would be simpler then deserts, but surely I can mix some vanilla, caramel and sweetner, right?

Tinkie,
Sorry for your bad luck. Never know though, might be a blessing in disguise. I beed doing DIY for about 4 months using recipes found in the DIY section. The best I found that everyone in my family likes is Peachy Glee by ECF member Uno Mas. I just use regular sweetner though instead of the EM.

Peach (Juicy) (TFA) 7%
Honeysuckle (TFA) 8%
Cinnamon (Natural) (TFA)* 1%
Ethyl Maltol 10% diluted (TFA) 2%

XJ-linux

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Well. I was just laid off. Any money saving tips for vaping would be greatly appreciated. I already rebuild and have a good stock of kanthal and cotton. I guess it's DIY for me....

My only suggestion would be to quit vaping until you are employed again if money is tight enough to where vaping is causing financial challenges.

sbc83

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
For $80 shipped ($65+=free s+h) you can buy 500ml of 36mg nic base, 500ml of both pg and vg, misc syringes and 15 flavors concentrates from wizard labs. That's what I went with and it'll be enough for 2 years @ 12mg at 70/30, I have about $50 left in my juice budget for that same time frame to buy misc supplies. It'll make 1500ml on the dot with a little pg/vg left over. Tailor your order to your specific needs but that kinda puts it in perspective

Last edited:

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
customcabinetsbycasey.com
My big money saver that has helped me a bunch. I buy the 235ml bottle of juice from mt. Baker with 5 extra flavor shots. I order it with higher nic than I vape and I order it with max PG. I then get straight VG on the cheap from Amazon. I then mix a 30ml bottle with a 50/50 of the juice with the VG. I am able to make a 235ml bottle last a very, very long time this way.
Some of the benefits of DIY without having the hassle.

(depending on the flavor you choose, your results will vary.)

Just my .02

Excellent strategy!

You can also buy many flavors separately for just $2.99 / 15ml. This helps avoid diluting the flavors with the additional vg.

I also use Killer Juices for:
  • Weekly 99¢ sales! At this price, you can't beat it even with DIY
  • Affordable base mix ($8/120ml)
    I also order it 100% pg, high nic and thin down with vg from Amazon and add $5 worth of flavors.
    Tremendously affordable without lots of complexity

The other area of significant $$ savings is with coils. Either coiling from scratch, or these pre-made coils from Fasttech for 4¢ each:
$2.16 Pre-Coiled Welded Wires - NR-R-NR (50-Pack) 50-pack - 32 AWG / 1.5ohm / 30*30mm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Who knows, maybe this will be opportunity doors opening into whole new worlds for you! (my last layoff did :D )

Best of luck Tink!!

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
Tinkie girrrrl!!! *HUGS* I'm sorry, that is tough, but when we're given lemons we make lemonaid!
you've got a chef hubby and folks gotta eat, I'm sure you'll figure something out, if not y'all move to Houston, thank GOD the foodie movement has reached here lots of NY chefs are returning home to give us good eats.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and say a prayer :)

Just came off a layoff myself, my best money saving technique..... Don't leave the house!

Isn't that the truth!! same here! I'm retired, with an occasional concierge patient and Ed got laid off in January but he needed to go into business for himself anywhoos..

Houston's booming again thank goodness. 100k new jobs this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread