Lavatube 1.5 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hificat101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
PA
OK, I just received mine in the mail today (no instructions). Shoved a precharged 18650 in, and it took me like 5 minutes to figure out how to get it to fire. I pressed the power button 5 times, like 4 or 5 times, and got it to come on. I keep reading conflicting info about on and off. I've read both press power 5 times to toggle it on/off, and also hold the power button 5 seconds. Now I'm good as far as changing the voltage, and making it fire, but I have some questions.

1) Is there a way to keep the backlight on all the time, or at least when you fire it? Right now, my display only lights when I change voltage. I mean, c'mon, it's an LED backlight, it uses like no power at all. When the backlight is off, the display is unreadable.

2) How do you check your hardware resistance?

3) Why does it display "2.9A" when I press and hold the power button? It displays this no matter what voltage I'm using it at. Is that the resistance of my carto? I'm too tired to drag my meter out, but I have a 2.5 ohm Fusion on it, with an 801-510 adapter so I guess that's plausible.

Are there any other tricks I should know?

Thanks

"Too tired to scour the web" in PA

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
No, the display cannot be kept "on," as far as I know, nor can the set voltage be "locked in."

When you press (and then immediately release) the power key, the display will show you the resistance reading of the atty/carto for four seconds, followed by the voltage setting for another four seconds, along with the graphic battery icon with five bars (or however many bars remain before battery cut-off).

If you press and hold the power button (as you stated), you'll see only the resistance display for as long as you hold down the button, which looks to you like "2.9A" but isn't. The "A" is actually the omega symbol for ohms, meaning "2.9 ohms." Similarly, the voltage display looks like "4.7u," but the "u" is really a "v" for volts.

In addition, the V1.5 tube will accept most any 18650, including most of the protected Trustfires and Ultrafires, although I use the flat-top hybrid-chemistry Panasonic CGR18650CH in mine.

As you may know also, the internal electronics of the Young June Version 1.5 Lavatube are very different from the L-Rider Version 1. The new version uses some sort of pulsed voltage, so that if you screw on an inline digital voltage meter, the unloaded volt readings won't match the display and will be all over the map. Then, if you screw on an atty/carto onto the meter to see the voltage under load, you'll get only dim flashing because of the PWM. In other words, you can't measure the loaded voltage output without very sophisticated equipment (oscilloscopes, custom hook-ups, and the like, which few of us have).

That oddness doesn't diminish performance at all, however. The V1.5's performance is hugely improved over Version 1. The pulsed regulation and increased amp limit (to 3.2A from the V1's 2.5A) take care of the serious shortcomings of the V1. I own many VV mods---including madvapes VV boxes, Ken's Boxmods VVs, Shan B's Vapecore Splash VV, Maximum Vapor's Evercool VVs (both plastic and woodie), and both a BuzzPro and an iPro. The Young June Version 1.5 Lavatube performs as well as any of those---it hits just as hard at any set voltage, from what I can tell.

The fact that the voltage resets to 3.0V after a battery swap is a slight design flaw, but that's a very minor complaint, given the 1.5's functionality, performance, and price (I got mine from CrystalClearVaping, body-only for $51.75 shipped, and Andrew even included a Mega-XXXL dual coil carto as a freebie).

hificat101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
PA
Thanks for all the info Bill. I guess I can see where they come up with the A for an ohm symbol. I actually emailed Phil Busardo after reading about the oddities in measured unloaded voltage on this device. I let him know that I made the purchase of the LT (also from CCV) as a temporary replacement for my Buzz Pro, that needs a trip to the shop, and if he wanted to, I would ship it to him on loan when my Buzz returns from CA. That way he could compare it with his older LT. Phil has all the toys including a digital o-scope, and I'm thinking it would make an interesting video.

Just curious what kind of bat life are you getting with that Panny bat? That happens to be what I'm also rockin'. The one I'm using now is actually a "Callie's Kustoms" bat I purchased for use on another mod I haven't really gotten around to yet, but really I think its just a CGR18650CH that they stuck a sticker on. I have three of these Pannys on order currently from a couple different places, and have high hopes for them.

Thanks again for all the info. Much appreciated.

Chris

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Chris,

Despite some slight discrepancies in listed mAh ratings, it appears that the hybrid Panasonics are being offered by various vendors in different wraps and rebrandings. The three I have were "authentic" Pannys purchased from intl-outdoor.com for just shy of $9 each shipped.

I've been swapping out the Pannys from the Lavatube V1.5 when the graphic battery indicator gets down to 2 bars (about 3.7V). So far, that has meant one swap per day with fairly heavy use (I'd guess 4+ mls of juice each day with tanks using 3.0 ohm single coil cartos run at 5.3 volts).

Since the V1.5 tube has been altered to accept more typical protected 18650s, I think I'll try one of the many Trustfires or Ultrafires I've got in my battery stash. I'm curious to see if there's any difference in performance or single-charge longevity.

I'll report back with whatever results I get.

HawkeyeCS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2012
United States
I noticed something strange with mine. With the unit powered off, and I hit the activation switch, I get vapor. Not that much, but the atty is still getting power to it. Anyone else noticed this?
Mine does the same thing, not quite sure why it does that, or what's going on with it...

hificat, if you do end up sending yours to pbusardo, if you can, mention that as I'm sure the osciliscope will give us a bit more information about what's happening...

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
I noticed something strange with mine. With the unit powered off, and I hit the activation switch, I get vapor. Not that much, but the atty is still getting power to it. Anyone else noticed this?

AfterFX,

Nope. Once powered off, my LT 1.5 is as dead as a mackerel. Might as well be a doorstop. No vapor. No nothing. Happily, though, it powers right up again without a hitch. LOL.

Caveat: Before doing this little test, I hadn't vaped the LT for about an hour. Perhaps the capacitor(s) stored charge had dissipated.

Last edited:

hificat101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
PA
Mine does the same thing, not quite sure why it does that, or what's going on with it...

hificat, if you do end up sending yours to pbusardo, if you can, mention that as I'm sure the osciliscope will give us a bit more information about what's happening...

Definitely will Hawkeye. Not sure if Phil want's to get into another project right now when he is still super backlogged with stuff from Chicago. We'll see what he says. I just watched one of his videos the other day, and he still hasn't taken his GG out of the bag it came in and assembled it.

FWIW, I just shut mine down, and tried and I got nada.

hificat101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
PA
Chris,

Despite some slight discrepancies in listed mAh ratings, it appears that the hybrid Panasonics are being offered by various vendors in different wraps and rebrandings. The three I have were "authentic" Pannys purchased from intl-outdoor.com for just shy of $9 each shipped.

I've been swapping out the Pannys from the Lavatube V1.5 when the graphic battery indicator gets down to 2 bars (about 3.7V). So far, that has meant one swap per day with fairly heavy use (I'd guess 4+ mls of juice each day with tanks using 3.0 ohm single coil cartos run at 5.3 volts).

Since the V1.5 tube has been altered to accept more typical protected 18650s, I think I'll try one of the many Trustfires or Ultrafires I've got in my battery stash. I'm curious to see if there's any difference in performance or single-charge longevity.

I'll report back with whatever results I get.

I ordered two of these Panasonics for the Altoid tin mod I finally was able to order from Smartevapes last week (yeah!). SV sells them for 7.99 a pop. They actually sent me a 6% off coupon deal to share with my friends. Full disclosure, if people use it I get some sort of voucher, but nonetheless 7.99-6%+shipping is still a really great price for these bats:

Visit my share page for SmartVapes.com and save 6% Off on your order!,

and here is the bat:

Panasonic CGR18650CH 2250mAh - $7.99 : SmartVapes Electronic Cigarettes, Electronic Cigarette

I also ordered a single from orbtronic for 8.99 no tax, free shipping.

CGR18650CH Panasonic 18650 Li-Mn-Li-ion CGR18650CH High Drain 10A Rechargeable IMR Hybrid Battery Cell

It's all in the mail now, so we will see. From all the testing I have seen reported, it would seem that this bat beats the pants off AW IMR 18650. I know it fits fine in my 1.5 L-tube. I think I have seen it reported that it fits fine in the original LT also.

Last edited:

ReflectedLight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Jersey
AfterFX,

Nope. Once powered off, my LT 1.5 is as dead as a mackerel. Might as well be a doorstop. No vapor. No nothing. Happily, though, it powers right up again without a hitch. LOL.

Caveat: Before doing this little test, I hadn't vaped the LT for about an hour. Perhaps the capacitor(s) stored charge had dissipated.

My less than scientific results:

If you press the power button once, then plus within a few seconds, you will see your current set voltage, non-backlit, and be able to vape at what feels like 3 volts. The only way to turn it back off is to power cycle it (5 clicks, 5 clicks).

I have two 1.5s doing the same exact thing.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
My less than scientific results: If you press the power button once, then plus within a few seconds, you will see your current set voltage, non-backlit, and be able to vape at what feels like 3 volts. The only way to turn it back off is to power cycle it (5 clicks, 5 clicks). I have two 1.5s doing the same exact thing.

Interesting. Odd, but interesting. Unscientific? Unless you had the engineering diagrams and boost regulator chip schematics (and could understand them, which I couldn't), I don't see how you could do anything but what you did, which may be anecdotal but is nonetheless real-world.

Anyway, my particular LT 1.5 doesn't do that. Whether or not I follow your procedure, the only result of pressing the + button is a backlit display with an increase in voltage of .1 volt. Different production runs between your pair of 1.5s and mine, maybe? Who knows? Yet another mystery in the wonderful world of vaping.

ReflectedLight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Jersey
Interesting. Odd, but interesting. Unscientific? Unless you had the engineering diagrams and boost regulator chip schematics (and could understand them, which I couldn't), I don't see how you could do anything but what you did, which may be anecdotal but is nonetheless real-world.

Anyway, my particular LT 1.5 doesn't do that. Whether or not I follow your procedure, the only result of pressing the + button is a backlit display with an increase in voltage of .1 volt. Different production runs between your pair of 1.5s and mine, maybe? Who knows? Yet another mystery in the wonderful world of vaping.

Looking back, I don't know if I was clear. The steps I mentioned are done with the unit off.

Andrew from CCV duplicated it as well. He opined that it may be a slightly different chipset (or production run, like you said). Either way, mild hiccup, and it works waaaay better than the last model. All good.

jayw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
virginia beach va.
Haven't found a way to make the light come on all the time, but yes the 2.9A is the resistance of your Atomizer (or cartomizer). Haven't found a way to check battery voltage or lock in current voltage setting yet... Hopefully somebody will post some tips and tricks...

Got this E mail
Subject: lava tube V1.5

James,
On these 1.5 Version there is no lockout for the voltage. They added 3 better features and did away with the 1 feature that most people didnt use or care for.

Jeremy / CSM

Sincerely,
Crystal Clear Vaping

AfterFX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2011
Mandeville, Louisiana
My less than scientific results:

If you press the power button once, then plus within a few seconds, you will see your current set voltage, non-backlit, and be able to vape at what feels like 3 volts. The only way to turn it back off is to power cycle it (5 clicks, 5 clicks).

I have two 1.5s doing the same exact thing.

Your right. I, we'll call it dead vaped, for a good minute. I see no way a small capacitor could hold a charge for that long. If I don't press anything for a few seconds after powering down, it is completely dead.

It's really a non-issue considering how great this thing is. This is my 1st LT, VV for that matter, and I love it.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Looking back, I don't know if I was clear. The steps I mentioned are done with the unit off.

Andrew from CCV duplicated it as well. He opined that it may be a slightly different chipset (or production run, like you said). Either way, mild hiccup, and it works waaaay better than the last model. All good.

RL,

Ah! Now I get it. Yes, with my LT 1.5 powered off, pressing the power button once, then the "+" button does indeed display the previously set voltage, but with no backlight) and allows a very weak-kneed vape---as you say, like 3.0 volts or even a bit less. In that mode, the "–" button does nothing.

Interesting quirk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread