VV Gripper by SmokTech Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDnerds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2012
NJ
That really isn't the point, I have over a dozen APVs that will do a fine job of vaping including a couple of 3amp units. For me at least, the point is I want a 4amp unit whether I need it or not, and the Gripper was advertised as a 4amp unit. That was the only reason I bought another APV that I didn't need. :)

Edit: FWIW my eGo Twist and Super VV eGo along with my 5v Wow aka Woo are my primary go to PVs, seldom use my VMax or any of the others for that matter. Your point is valid in that I could have stopped with my first MV VV Box mod to fill all my vaping needs for years and saved a heck of a lot of money. :)

Errol

You don't get it.. your mod didnt cost 150-300.00 - so it must suck!!.. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
/sarcasm

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
3 Batteries
According to the user manual PROTECTED 18650 batteries are to be used. This is a change from LT and Provari both recommending IMR unprotected. I used the AW IMR 1600mah (unprotected) which fit (65mm long) and work without problem. The AW 3100mah protected that I have does not fit (68mm long).

Thanks for the clear and lucid review.

Regarding the batteries, I'm wondering about the protected vs. IMR matter. I understand the battery lenght is crutial, but there may well be short enough protected batteries. I like that the protected models have higher mAh ratings. I notice most vendors are offering IMRs...is that mostly a matter of fit? My questions regarding batteries have been posted here...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-issues/321162-imr-vs-protected-li-ion.html

5 Ergonomics
For people using self made or bought box style vaping devices this is probably progress. I do not like big diameter tube style devices (I never liked the LT).
I find the button placement on top not ergonomic. If used as intended with 4 fingers gripping in the specially made indents on the side, the finger pressing the fire button has to make a little bit of yoga. I ended using just 3 fingers on the bottom indents, the small finger placed under the device, this arrangement elevates a little bit the top, making the pressing of the fire button more natural.

I had my hands on a Gripper this past Saturday. I concur with the ergonomics regarding the 4 finger grooves in the body. They were way too close for my hand. I think only the most petite of hands would fit properly. Like yourself, I found my little finger under the bottom of the unit. The fit of the remaining three fingers was a little odd over the 4 slots, but I suppose one could adapt over time. For a revised model, I would suggest only 3 grooves for fingers. The pinky goes rather naturally underneath. It works that way on my DIY mod as well.

I have no difficulty with the fire button placement. I am used to thumb operation on top per my DIY mod. If anything, a revised model could stand for a quieter button.

Revision - Three finger grooves instead of four...quieter clicky button and I'm still out on the Protected vs. IMR.

Thanks again for the review.

PS Thanks as well for pointing out that the electronics are capable of being transported to custom mods. ...not a formidable price at $50 for the electronics, button and such.

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
You don't get it.. your mod didnt cost 150-300.00 - so it must suck!!.. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
/sarcasm

Good point, :) though there was a time I would have bought the least expensive Provari if it hadn't been for the single button menu. It just seems silly that one has to feel like they are sending a text message on a miniature keyboard to change the voltage or check the ohms or whatever else they may want to do with their expensive PV. The menu choice on the Gripper is something I really liked, one click then first the ohm reading then the actual battery voltage and of course the +- voltage buttons.

Errol

Last edited:

hificat101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
PA
Go basically its a box mod version of the Lavatube version 1 with the same limitations?

Actually no. The Gripper may not have a 4A limit as advertised, but from the numbers posted by the OP, it looks like it'll do around 3A which is a lot better than the 2.5 of the original L-Tube. Add the Pulse Width Modulation and spiffy display, and it seems far superior to me. It does seem to have a couple issues though, but they seem fairly minor.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
You're more reasonable than I am. :) The Gripper is a 3amp single battery clone of VV Ovale V8 at double the price, $60 over $30. And what make it worth twice the price? They advertise it as a 4amp APV. :)

Errol
Unlike the V8, it shows voltage and resistance. This is a good thing.

Like the V8, its weak spots seem to be the battery compartment and the connector. This is not a good thing.

I hope version 2 is better but, until then, my search for a moderately priced, non-tube, VV device continues.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
9 Final thoughts
I like the electronics. I think this is the best affordable commercial device on the market right now. (Do not get me started on Provari or Darwin). If you prefer LT form factor wait for v3. It is using a single battery not a stackable configuration. It is using replaceable batteries that you charge outside the device. You do not need to Morse code the menu because they made a $2 economy using a cheap processor, they did not.

I am not mad about the ergonomics (see above) but I prefer it to the LT. It looks cheap compared to the Provari (and it is by 2/3) but not compared to the original LT or Darwin.

The absence of seals (in case my observation is correct) might be a problem with liquid leaks.
If you lose it you cry less. If you break the plastic you have a fully featured board inside that is better than other solutions (TI mods or similar) for building your own mod. I have a broken top LT and removing the circuit and using it proved to be changeling.

10 A word of caution
I tried to cover all the aspects that I could think of, expressing my opinion and I do not endorse or recommend the product. You decide.
I spent the time making this review for your info and I have no additional undisclosed things to speak about. I am not going to answer all kind of questions. Those of you having additional meaningful info, measurements, etc you are welcome to let us know.

Thanks for taking the time to review the unit. I do believe that there is another alternative to this for a box mod.
I just bought a Smoktek (don't confuse with Smoketech) Varicool and while this unit doesn't have all the features of the gripper, it has some advantages that make it a contender.
I did my own review because like the gripper, there aren't that many good reviews.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/apv-discussion/321528-smoktek-smokbox-varicool-custom-box-mod-made-u-s-review.html

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
Thanks for all the great stats. You've answered all my questions and I can get by with my twist until something better comes along. Maybe an Ovale/Honda V20 with laser enhanced Invisomizer and turbo induced juice injection.

Wouldn't be surprised if someone comes up with a hybrid dripping atty with a measured on demand pressurized drip suitable for mass production. :)

Edit: FWIW I have over a dozen VV units including the VMax and my main go to units are the VV eGo and Twist along with the 5v Woo. I realize I've said this before but my point in continuing to say it is some great vaping can be achieved with some relatively inexpensive APVs. In fact my original VV Box Mod from MadVapes for $35 will do 98% of what my most expensive APV will do.

Errol

Last edited:

fieldh0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2012
South Central Mississippi
Errol, Thanks, you just confirmed my plan. I have been waiting on a varicool vv box from SmokTek for my first vv.

SmokTek "SmokBox VariCool" - Custom Variable Volt Box Mod - Efficient switching regulator! adjustable 3,4,5,6.5 volt's & everything between.

I think I'm ready to try a DIY kit but before I pull the trigger on that I want to try the varicool.
I like the looks of that kit in MadVapes (Variable Volt Box Mod Kit) but I'm not sure if that is a Switching regulator that's in the kit. At any rate, I'd like to try to put one together, might be fun.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I think I'm ready to try a DIY kit but before I pull the trigger on that I want to try the varicool.
I like the looks of that kit in MadVapes (Variable Volt Box Mod Kit) but I'm not sure if that is a Switching regulator that's in the kit. At any rate, I'd like to try to put one together, might be fun.

It's a linear regulator. So, it'll get warm and you won't get the best battery life. OTOH it'll handle more amps than just about anything out there.

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
Sorry to digress, back to the thread, I think I'll wait on the Gripper. I do LOVE that OLCD. Got my first one on a Cowon S9 Curve, probably the first, commercial use, application. What a picture.

IMO you get a better deal with the Gripper than the SmokeBox.

If you do get the kit from MV you'll want to get one of these Assembled Volt Indicator.
Assembled Volt Indicator, Rev 2

If you want to build one a little more elaborate this thread has a lot of ideas.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/114901-evercool-variable-voltage-mod.html

Errol

Dirtay J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Sorry to digress, back to the thread, I think I'll wait on the Gripper. I do LOVE that OLCD. Got my first one on a Cowon S9 Curve, probably the first, commercial use, application. What a picture.

Actually they have been using OLCD displays on circuit board for high level paintball guns since about '06. But yeah the displays are amazing! Just cause of that I have a big want for a gripper. But for now I am going to wait. With all the technology coming out in the APV world I'm interested to see what is next.

ease21

Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
Ottawa
Just got the gripper, the only complaint I have is that the 510 connection is slightly crooked. With some use, the top fire button is feeling more natural. It's put my LT2 in the "not used so much" box under the coffee table. The form factor allows for portability, much better in my pocket than the larger tube mods I have. Wouldn't drip with it, just use it with tanks for lack of a drip well (only thing the LT2 is getting used for). I think durability may be an issue, but no mod is built to be dropped too many times anyway. I have other box mods (been vaping a while, just not a member here for too long) and over time they've all crapped out, the varicool became varihot variquick the tube mods seem to fare better. The gripper seems to take best from both worlds (tube and box). Impressed with it for now, I'll let you know what I think over time.

Dirtay J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Just got the gripper, the only complaint I have is that the 510 connection is slightly crooked. With some use, the top fire button is feeling more natural. It's put my LT2 in the "not used so much" box under the coffee table. The form factor allows for portability, much better in my pocket than the larger tube mods I have. Wouldn't drip with it, just use it with tanks for lack of a drip well (only thing the LT2 is getting used for). I think durability may be an issue, but no mod is built to be dropped too many times anyway. I have other box mods (been vaping a while, just not a member here for too long) and over time they've all crapped out, the varicool became varihot variquick the tube mods seem to fare better. The gripper seems to take best from both worlds (tube and box). Impressed with it for now, I'll let you know what I think over time.

Yeah I ended up picking up a VV Gripper a week or so ago. I really like it. and agree that it is the best of both world! Also the crooked 510 kind of bugs me too. For now it is my go to device for when I am going out. Such a nice feel and yeah fits easily in a pocket, even with a tank on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread