Lavatube/LT mini/Vision tox or wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knivesout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
MT
Thanks for all the input, it's definitely helpful! I'm just a little torn right now, my only concern with the ProVari is just the weight and portability of it, as I wouldn't wear it on a belt holster or anything (no offense to those who do). I've got an e-power which is decent for portability but I'd really like a VV mod. It seems like what would maybe best is to have the ProVari for home/chillin use, and a VV box mod or e-power for on the go. The problem is figuring out what to look at getting first, I'm trying to figure out what I'd be getting the most use out of.

Do most of the folks with ProVari just use em at home and have a different PV for on-the-go use?

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for all the input, it's definitely helpful! I'm just a little torn right now, my only concern with the ProVari is just the weight and portability of it, as I wouldn't wear it on a belt holster or anything (no offense to those who do). I've got an e-power which is decent for portability but I'd really like a VV mod. It seems like what would maybe best is to have the ProVari for home/chillin use, and a VV box mod or e-power for on the go. The problem is figuring out what to look at getting first, I'm trying to figure out what I'd be getting the most use out of.

Do most of the folks with ProVari just use em at home and have a different PV for on-the-go use?

Did you see the Provari Mini? According to the couple video previews I've seen, it's quite a bit more 'pocket friendly', and has the exact same V2 electronics as the regular Provari.

FriedLiverAtack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2011
California, USA
Did you see the Provari Mini? According to the couple video previews I've seen, it's quite a bit more 'pocket friendly', and has the exact same V2 electronics as the regular Provari.

+1 Looked at the specs, it is 3.48" long, that is about as small as you are ever going to get a VV tube mod. With the 18350 you will have to carry a spare battery, but that is not a big deal.

knivesout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
MT
That's a good suggestion, I even saw it on the provape site but kinda glossed over the mini cause I saw it wasn't yet available. Another thing I was looking at was the varicool VV box mod at smoktek.com, looks quite pocketable and like a pretty solid unit for the price. Probably gonna last a bit longer than the ProVari mini as well, but it's an entirely different form factor. It looks like the devices would function essentially the same, with a bit more fine-grained control on the ProVari. I did also like the fact that you can use an extension cap on the mini that allows you to use the normal battery in the regular v2.

I can't say the "look" of the box mods is something I'm a huge fan of, but functionality comes first. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the ProVari minis will sell out really soon once they become available, so I should probably be ready if I do decide to go that route.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
That's a good suggestion, I even saw it on the provape site but kinda glossed over the mini cause I saw it wasn't yet available. Another thing I was looking at was the varicool VV box mod at smoktek.com, looks quite pocketable and like a pretty solid unit for the price. Probably gonna last a bit longer than the ProVari mini as well, but it's an entirely different form factor. It looks like the devices would function essentially the same, with a bit more fine-grained control on the ProVari. I did also like the fact that you can use an extension cap on the mini that allows you to use the normal battery in the regular v2.

I can't say the "look" of the box mods is something I'm a huge fan of, but functionality comes first. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the ProVari minis will sell out really soon once they become available, so I should probably be ready if I do decide to go that route.

The Provari Mini will be available on the 15th, not sure for how long though with all the attention it's already getting. Hopefully they'll have enough to go round on the initial run.

As far as vv box mods with a switching regulator which most distinguish buy mentioning cool somewhere in the name, performance, battery life and price wise they are a much better buy than a boosted tube. They use a step down regulator with 2 batteries lowering the voltage to the desired setting rather than a boost circuit using a single battery to get more voltage from a battery than it's rated for. Most don't have the features, obviously aren't as durable with the plastic box and the form factor is preference, some like em some don't.

FriedLiverAtack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2011
California, USA
I never wanted a provari, but the mini is really tempting. It is only about 0.6" longer than my PrecisePlus using the same battery and the P+ is a purely mechanic 3.7V mod. 0.6 is a long ways when you are talking about 3" mods but still impressive that they can fit the circuitry in such a small area.

You can have your cake and eat it too, with an extension cap you can use the same battery as the regular Provari and it is still shorter than the original. If I could afford another expensive mod I would be among those trying to snatch one up on the 15th. Maybe wait until they release it in another color, the original greyish silver doesn't thrill me any.

knivesout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
MT
Yeah this mini is getting to look too good to pass up. The box mods I've seen are tempting too, but I want to get something I'll be excited about using and will want to use for a long time. Being able to use the extension cap for when that bit of extra battery is needed is excellent as well. I think the satin and black finishes look really sharp, and paired with a blue LED...Damn!

The mini should be the right blend of power and portability, it looks pocketable and keeping an extra battery nearby doesn't seem like it'd be much of an issue.

arguablybetter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
Atlanta
after having yet another ego battery fail on me in less then 3 months, i really want to upgrade to a quality mod. I need it to be sturdy and really liked having the ego cone to keep leaks contained and to keep pressure off the atomizer if I sat down quick or my kids jumped on my lap. I noticed most mods dont have this type of shield - is this not a problem for most people? I am just so sick of shelling out $20 for a new ego battery and tired of running LR atty's to the ground. I was thinking a VV would allow me to use higher ohms attys and also produce a more consistent, stronger hit. any suggestions would be nice. I don't have much money for it but would rather save up for something sturdy than spend a moderate amount on something cheap. any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
after having yet another ego battery fail on me in less then 3 months, i really want to upgrade to a quality mod. I need it to be sturdy and really liked having the ego cone to keep leaks contained and to keep pressure off the atomizer if I sat down quick or my kids jumped on my lap. I noticed most mods dont have this type of shield - is this not a problem for most people? I am just so sick of shelling out $20 for a new ego battery and tired of running LR atty's to the ground. I was thinking a VV would allow me to use higher ohms attys and also produce a more consistent, stronger hit. any suggestions would be nice. I don't have much money for it but would rather save up for something sturdy than spend a moderate amount on something cheap. any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

They make cone adapters so you can use the cone on any 510 device, like these. $3.50.

The_Jerkstore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member

If you want to save up, go with the Buzz Pro or Provari. Both are great and should last a long time. Both are American made and come from vendors that stand behind their products. If you don't want to wait, A lavatube is a cheaper version and works good for the price. It's made in China so don't expect it to last as long. The plus is, it's half the price of the Buzz or Provari. Plenty of reviews out there for all three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread