Vision TOX vv only a lavatube with a facelift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDnerds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2012
NJ
The Vision Tox VV mod also goes by the name of The Vision Tox Cannon, The Howitzer, and the GSB-SUB. Im sure in the future it wil be rebranded 100 times over.

The Vision Tox VV was delivered today. I did a side by side comparison with my Lavatube. I used a standard voltage indicator you can buy at any supplier. I used a 18500 battery on the Vision vs a 18650 on the Lavatube.

The Vision Tox VV has all the protection circuitry that the Lavatube has. It does the same exact thing when you use Low Resistance and Dual Coil Cartomizers - dials down the voltage. The next question is how much compared to the lavatube? Every carto or atomizer I used (single and dual coil) (1.5-3.0ohm) the voltage was the same within .2 volts under load. I was disappointed. I didnt think it would repeat the same mistakes as the Lavatube.

The facelift portion of this upgrade is great. You can use the 18500,18350 and soon the 18650. You getting a full size and a mini all in one unit. The new display is crisp a clear and but somewhat nonsensical. All the vape counters, time and date, and vape time reset when you change the batteries. The "Hello, my master" and "Goodbye, my master" is an odd edition. I makes me wonder about the creator of this device.

If you dont have a lavatube - basically in a nutshell your going to need 3 ohm and 4 ohm cartos/atomizers for 5-6v vaping.

If you have a lavatube already I wouldnt get the Vision VV.
If you want a reasonable priced VV. The Tox Vision is doable @ 69.95 for a full kit @ litecigusa

Last edited:

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Or, you could wait a few months. I have heard that a new Rev. of the LT will be coming out then and they'll have removed, or at least increased, the current limiting function. Myself, I couldn't wait and bought one from Apollo before the litecig sale. It just came in today and the batts are still charging. I'm getting impatient.

Too bad these things aren't like MP3 players, where the firmware can be updated or "Rockboxed".

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Thank you SO much for your review. I'm thrilled that someone actually tested and its performing as advertised. Yeah, I know about the 2.5 amp restriction, but that isn't a deal breaker for me. And I love the upgraded features. That 'my master' thing is a riot, regardless of how seriously it was intended, or bady it was translated. Some other guy tested his at 3.0 ohm and said it wouldn't deliver over 4.2, so I was freaking out, but hoping like he just got a dud or something, since that's well within the 2.5 amps. So as long as I don't end up with a lemon, I'll be quite pleased. Another option... isn't there a feature on the tox that starts out at 0v and quickly revs up to the requested voltage (assuming it doesn't exceed the 2.5amp). I believe its a safety feature designed to make load easier on cartos and attys. Don't remember where I read that, though. Wondering if its possible that perhaps the meter somehow gave him an interim reading while it was reving up, and not the final one. I'm not techy enough to get into that, but its worth thinking about. Anyway, I'll be happy as long as it delivers as advertised, within safety limits. Thanks again... you've set my mind back at ease about the purchase. And thank goodness for the warranty if i get a dud. lol

BTW, never used 4ohm cartos... can you recommend a decent one? I use boge 2 and 3's, and 1.7 resurrectors, typically.

Oh, and for anyone thinking of purchasing, but wondering if waiting is worth it... there's supposed to be new colors, as well. I believe pearl white, silver, blue and purple? thats just off top of my head, though. That info was given by gotvapes, but i've heard multicolor a few times from diff vendors.

Last edited:

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
Every carto or atomizer I used (single and dual coil) (1.5-3.0ohm) the voltage was the same within .2 volts under load.

I am curious about your comparison to the Lavatube. I was expecting them to be about the same, but midway through testing the TOX I am getting a pretty wide variation. I rarely hit the limit on the LT and primarily use 1.7ohm cartos with it set at 3.9v and it delivers a little over 3.8 under load. The VOX set at 3.9v, on the other hand, only delivers 3.3v under load with a 1.7ohm carto. Same results with the included 2.6ohm. It still performs reasonably well, it's just that the voltage reading is not what your getting under load. I need to set it at 5.0v to get 4.2v under load. Are these similar to your findings or did I possibly get a dud?

CDnerds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2012
NJ
I am curious about your comparison to the Lavatube. I was expecting them to be about the same, but midway through testing the TOX I am getting a pretty wide variation. I rarely hit the limit on the LT and primarily use 1.7
HTML:
Ω
cartos with it set at 3.9v and it delivers a little over 3.8 under load. The VOX set at 3.9v, on the other hand, only delivers 3.3v under load with a 1.7
HTML:
Ω
carto. Same results with the included 2.6
HTML:
Ω
. It still performs reasonably well, it's just that the voltage reading is not what your getting under load. I need to set it at 5.0v to get 4.2v under load. Are these similar to your findings or did I possibly get a dud?

Did you use the same cartos? Did you test them to make sure they are really 1.7? I bought a volt meter for like 15 bucks, I cant tell you have valuable that thing is. Ive gotten 1.7s that are 2.1-2.2 sometimes. Then I get SR Boges that rock at 3.7v - turns out they are coming in at like 1.8-1.9.

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
ok, I'm gonna ask a question here. I tried in the forum, and got nowhere. Lets say I get one of these from litecigsusa...I'm prob gonna order tomorrow. If it shows up, and is performing way under voltage, that falls within the replacement warranty 14 day thing, right? Obviously, based on very early data, looks like lots of these hold up ok voltage wise, and a few don't. I can't afford to get stuck with one that doesn't. Anyone have any insight into whether that would be replaced? And obviously I'm talking about using settings/hardware that doesn't exceed the amp 2.5 limitation.

I'm just the tiniest bit worried that I'll get a 'if it fires, its working' excuse (and that's not because I've had bad luck with the vendor...I've had great luck with litecigs in the past... I just can't afford to end up with a $70 dud as my main pv. And I am planning on buying an extended warranty for 3 yrs from outside vendor, but not till I get it and make sure it works as advertised.

Last edited:

CDnerds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2012
NJ
ok, I'm gonna ask a question here. I tried in the forum, and got nowhere. Lets say I get one of these from litecigsusa...I'm prob gonna order tomorrow. If it shows up, and is performing way under voltage, that falls within the replacement warranty 14 day thing, right? Obviously, based on very early data, looks like lots of these hold up ok voltage wise, and a few don't. I can't afford to get stuck with one that doesn't. Anyone have any insight into whether that would be replaced? And obviously I'm talking about using settings/hardware that doesn't exceed the amp 2.5 limitation.

When you mean way under voltage do you mean way under load voltage? The description on the website says it has protection built in and will sense the type of carto or atty you have. Its going to be under voltage if you put a dual coil or LR on it, WAY under. If you pump it to 6v its going to have a under load voltage of 3.8 or so. Its made to do that. This is so you dont mistakenly put a LR on it and pop it. With this mod you will always know you can put anything on it and it will not blow it up. If you want higher voltage it will require you to put on a 3-4ohm unit.

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio

Did you watch pbusardo's review of the LT, or GrimmGreen's "follow up" video? This apparently does the same thing with low resistance coils at higher voltages: it doesn't report that it's throttling voltage, it just does it. So, you may set the unit at 5V, but it'll throttle to 3.2V. It's not a "dud", it's the LT way of handling a resistance/voltage setting that exceeds the 2.5 amp converter limit. That's why OP says it's a facelift of the LT: the voltage throttling issue hasn't been addressed.

It's not necessarily a bad thing if you know to avoid LR stuff, but I don't believe it was a "dud" that was throttling; it's just the design of the LT circuitry.

Last edited:

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Yep, and i'm totally cool with it if it performs like a lava tube... that's what I'm expecting. That would be fabulous. My issue is the guy who tested his under a 3.0ohm carto, and it delivered wayyyyy under... and well within 2.5 amps limitation. I studied as much as my non tech savvy brain would allow to make sure that limitation wouldn't mess me up too much with the way I vape, and it wont... assuming it performs like the lt. Those charts in PhilB's review were what convinced me I'd be fine.

btw, no, havent seen GrimmGreens follow up, I'll definitely check that out.

And does anyone have rec for good 4ohm carto? is there even such a beast, or do I need to find a highres atty? I use 3ohm boges very frequently.

Last edited:

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
A couple of things I would add in comparison to the lavatube. The button on the tox seems to be of a much lower quality and doesn't seem that it will hold up. the button can move side to side as there is a space between the button and the hole in the body. Its also a little more finicky about firing. has to be pressed just right.
The 18500 battery works pretty good, but in equal comparison with the 18650 in the lavatube and voltage set the same it seems the lavatube produces more vape. the 18350 will get a little warm with the voltage up to 5v. I like some of the added info on the screen. It definitley has a better lcd screen. amoled. I also like having a puff counter.
As usual I hate the vision cartomizers that come with it also the saphire, and micromizer.. They all perform poor with the best being the Vision. None beats a dual core cartomizer with floss.

The one thing I would like to know is. Can you use a AW IMR high drain 18500 or even the AW 18500 protected (black & silver) battery.

The Vision Tox VV mod also goes by the name of The Vision Tox Cannon, The Howitzer, and the GSB-SUB. Im sure in the future it wil be rebranded 100 times over.

The Vision Tox VV was delivered today. I did a side by side comparison with my Lavatube. I used a standard voltage indicator you can buy at any supplier. I used a 18500 battery on the Vision vs a 18650 on the Lavatube.

The Vision Tox VV has all the protection circuitry that the Lavatube has. It does the same exact thing when you use Low Resistance and Dual Coil Cartomizers - dials down the voltage. The next question is how much compared to the lavatube? Every carto or atomizer I used (single and dual coil) (1.5-3.0ohm) the voltage was the same within .2 volts under load. I was disappointed. I didnt think it would repeat the same mistakes as the Lavatube.

The facelift portion of this upgrade is great. You can use the 18500,18350 and soon the 18650. You getting a full size and a mini all in one unit. The new display is crisp a clear and but somewhat nonsensical. All the vape counters, time and date, and vape time reset when you change the batteries. The "Hello, my master" and "Goodbye, my master" is an odd edition. I makes me wonder about the creator of this device.

If you dont have a lavatube - basically in a nutshell your going to need 3 ohm and 4 ohm cartos/atomizers for 5-6v vaping.

If you have a lavatube already I wouldnt get the Vision VV.
If you want a reasonable priced VV. The Tox Vision is doable @ 69.95 for a full kit @ litecigusa

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Paulc35... sorry to hear that about the button. Mine is already ordered... was hoping some of those details would be of a higher quality than the LT, since I saw steeljan rip apart another Green Sound mod (some odd box that has 3 levels of voltage... orion maybe?) and it looked surprisingly well put together for a $70 mod. Aw well, still excited, since the cosmetic and size options are things I like better on tox, but still, would be nice if the button was better, and if the top part were metal.

Hey, I have a question for you. Its been ages since I vaped a dual coil... do you recommend one brand in particular? Also, someone was mentioning HIGH resistance dc's.... never even knew they existed. Do you have a recommendation on those? I'm hanging in there with my boge 2's and 3's and the single coil xl resurrectors at 1.7, but a little variety might be nice. Also, how high up in actual voltage have you been able to get your dual coils (assuming you have a meter)?

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
well don't take my comments on the Tox as its a bad purchase because its not. My favorite Cartomizer is Boge. Stay away from Bauway period. Smoketeck is what you will see. I like the 1.5ohm dual coil, which is two 3ohms that give you 1.5. The comments about the voltage rather it be the tox or the lavatube on dual coils is true. It will only go up so far no matter what you have set, but thats not a bad thing. If you want full range then buy boge standard cartomizers, which is usually 3 ohm. I'm using a boge 2ohm right now on the tox. Its great. I will tell you the owners manual leaves alot for you to figure out on your own. The english is written by someone that speaks Chinese and little English. There are some Vision cartomizers that come in the box. you know the one with the wicks. My advice is to leave them in the box. Do not waste good juice on them..
Oh I like the Dual Coils I get from Vaporkings and Madvapes
One of the reasons I picked up the Lavatube VV to begin with is. I already have my main favorite mod The Darwin,, which is variable wattage and I have dedicated 6v devices. I wanted to see the difference

Last edited:

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Thanks so much for the info... I'll hunt up the vaporkings and madvapes ones. I was thinking of buying just one or two, just to get back in the swing of em. Honestly I don't even remember what brand of dc's i tried way back when. I'm totally a boge 2 and 3 girl. Love those, so I as pretty confident the Tox would do exactly what I want it to do. I am gonna get a snazzy nhaler dc smoktech tank (pretty pink one) but after that dc dies, I plan to use the 1.7 single coil resurrectors in it, since they're the xl size. And if they won't perform well (but I'm pretty sure I'll be more than satisfied... If I can get to about 3.8/3.9 on the 1.7 single coil I'll be happy), then I'm gonna hunt up some of those XL boges. I haven't tried those yet, but they seem like the best of both worlds... Good size and tank worthy (even the dc tanks, I believe, since they're extra long), but perfect for full range on Tox. Gotta hunt down the best price on those. I've only seen the xl boge in a few places.

And you lucky lucky creature, Paulc! You've got my ideal vaping setup... Darwin, tox backup, and random 5v... the best of all worlds. ;) I'll be happy for now with the tox, and a cheap flashlight higher voltage mod in near future (thinking a shine or a diamond from ParkesVaping... can't beat em for $25! Plus the parkes family are amazing, and I love dealing with them) ... Darwin will happen if I ever win moola or health issues improve and I can (blessedly!) go back to work! lol But I'm looking forward to my Tox showing up on my doorstep! Will be extra fun when it arrives, since all my higher voltage stuff died, and I've literally been vaping pretty exclusively on a joye ego (at like 3.2v) for about 2 weeks now. First few high voltage toots...I'm gonna be floating on air! Weeee

Last edited:

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
You will love the Tox. I'm already using the XL Boge standard resistance and they're nice. But if I had to stay with one cartomizer or two it would be boge 2ohm and the Smoketek dual coil 1.5ohm black or silver. not the clear ones as the glue doesn't hold well and one accidental sitting down with you mod in your pocket and the clear DC come apart getting juice all over you.
You are really going to hate me on the Darwin as I have two of them.... but let me say this, If there is a mod worth $250 the Darwin is the one. I originally got 2 so I would have a backup, but my wife uses the other one. She scares me as she loses alot, Still looking for her Prodigy V3 that she put up somewhere ..The Bombshell is another great mod you can run 6v with two rcr123A or 3.7 with an 18650. $99 for complete kit from Tim at Hotvapes. Comes in pink ...Its big though

Thanks so much for the info... I'll hunt up the vaporkings and madvapes ones. I was thinking of buying just one or two, just to get back in the swing of em. Honestly I don't even remember what brand of dc's i tried way back when. I'm totally a boge 2 and 3 girl. Love those, so I as pretty confident the Tox would do exactly what I want it to do. I am gonna get a snazzy nhaler dc smoktech tank (pretty pink one) but after that dc dies, I plan to use the 1.7 single coil resurrectors in it, since they're the xl size. And if they won't perform well (but I'm pretty sure I'll be more than satisfied... If I can get to about 3.8/3.9 on the 1.7 single coil I'll be happy), then I'm gonna hunt up some of those XL boges. I haven't tried those yet, but they seem like the best of both worlds... Good size and tank worthy (even the dc tanks, I believe, since they're extra long), but perfect for full range on Tox. Gotta hunt down the best price on those. I've only seen the xl boge in a few places.

And you lucky lucky creature, Paulc! You've got my ideal vaping setup... Darwin, tox backup, and random 5v... the best of all worlds. ;) I'll be happy for now with the tox, and a cheap flashlight higher voltage mod in near future (thinking a shine or a diamond from ParkesVaping... can't beat em for $25! Plus the parkes family are amazing, and I love dealing with them) ... Darwin will happen if I ever win moola or health issues improve and I can (blessedly!) go back to work! lol But I'm looking forward to my Tox showing up on my doorstep! Will be extra fun when it arrives, since all my higher voltage stuff died, and I've literally been vaping pretty exclusively on a joye ego (at like 3.2v) for about 2 weeks now. First few high voltage toots...I'm gonna be floating on air! Weeee

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Yeah, clear cartos don't do much for me. Nor do the ce2's, so I'm probably not gonna love the tanks that come with the kit, though I'll try em, with limited fill of non fave juice. lol Ok, so I was trying to figure out what kind of carto to try with my tank at nhaler, and I'll definitely do the smoketech 1.5... I know that wasn't what I tried, and you're not the first to be devoted to em, so that's perfect. I'll grab a few of those and a pack of the xl boge next time I'm shopping. You know, I ordered another pack of the boge when I got my kit, and pretty sure I grabbed 3.0s since I have a box of 2.0s. Ah well, at least I'll have something that'll do the full gamut of voltage.

And no... don't hate you on the Darwin at all! lol I'm sure your wife loves it, too. I used to work my bum off for my moola, before I got sick. I did pretty well, but I earned every penny of it, so I'd never begrudge anyone their hard earned indulgences. lol My financial situation is a lot different now, so the Tox is my big bad, but still.. everyones gotta have their some indulgence, somewhere. But yeah, with that propensity to lose stuff, you might wanna pick her up a few cheap (and SUPER cute for the price) Shines or Diamond's to use when she's out and about. Its a flashlight, so can be 3.7 or 6v, depending on the batts, and they're a whopping $25, and in colors. Might be an option. Of course, if she doesn't agree that she loses stuff, then that suggestion might earn you a spot sleeping on the sofa. lol So you'd know best. And oh gosh... lost prodigy just makes my heart hurt. Those are really lush. And you know, I've never heard of the bombshell! I'll definitely check that out. It'll be quite some time before I'm ready to make another sizable investment, but boy... love the name. I've always had a thing for retro pinup images, so a pink bombshell would suit me just fine, esp if I blinged it up a tiny bit. I've gotta check that out, for sure. ;) Size isn't a huge issue for me, either. Sounds like the sexy betty boop of pvs. lol

Oh wow... I just looked and it IS a total bombshell! They don't have pink listed as a color, but on the front page at bottom they're showing off a gorgeous pink. What a super sexy mod. Ok, now I have a new toy to lust after... I really love the ubersimple lines. Looks nicer than the 'nightstick' sort of tube mod. Not as utilitarian. Anyway, thanks so much for pointing that out to me! I might not be able to snaggle it anytime soon, but I do have some clever friends with finishing tools experimenting with their own mods. All it would take is a nice shell and some great pink powdercoat. And that is by far the nicest pink mod I've ever seen. ;)

Last edited:

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Thanks, Frick! I sorta ruled out dc's cause when I tried em.. and this was maybe 6mos to a year ago, they were so pricey, and i wasn't that blown away. I liked em, but not enough to justify the extra expense. But definitely trying the Smoktech 1.5s, as that'll come in my new delrin tank from Nhaler (if they ever get the delrin available, again!), so I'll give a higher ohm one a whirl as well. And you just saved me a mad amount of hunting. ;) Madvapes, it is, then!

Ok, so to update, I checked out the mad selection at madvapes. Boy, that seems like the place to go when you need something aside from common run of the mill hardware! I read all the reviews of the 3.0ohm Smoktech dual coils, and from what a number of people are saying, guessing those are really best on a 7.4v device... which is way higher than what I'll have on my Tox. So looking at the 2.5 ohm smoktech dc's... looks like a great option to try for something like Lava or Tox... they're listed at $1.80 a piece, but price drops quite a bit if you're buying over 15...
http://www.madvapes.com/Smok-Tech-25-OHM-Steel-Dual-Coil-Cartomizer_p_3260.html

Yup, just checked the handy dandy Madvapes chart... looks like they're recommending 2.5 dual coils on a 6v device, and for the single coils 3.2ohms and up. So that's what to shoot for if you're buying cartos/attys for your new Tox, or LavaT.
http://www.madvapes.com/Recommended-Resistances_b_57.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread