Leaford's Smoke 51 Video Review and Demo

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatgirlblu

Nov 28, 2008
Hi. I just started e-smoking and I just got my new smoke 51 cigarette in today. Have been using it all day, and I like it a lot. I usually smoke any where from one pack of marlboro 100's cigarettes a day to even a pack and a quarter. This smoke 51 was at my door from UPS before I even woke up and I had it first thing, and now I'm almost ready for bed and I have only smoked 4 "real" cigarettes today, since I've been using the smoke 51 all day. Which for me is a miracle, from 20 to 25 cigarettes a day to about 4? I am already pretty happy.

But I ordered some cartridges and they didn't come today, they were on back order. So all I have is the 2 that came with the starter kit which are 6mg in tobacco flavor.

I don't taste tobacco though. It tastes like....I don't know, lol kinda just nothing but there is a semi-sweet taste to it but it's a weak taste. Could the semi-sweet taste be the propelyne glycol? Im not sure, but the vapor is still great, Im still on one cartridge and its still working great, lots and lots of vapor which was great for me and unexpected.

My question is, since I invested so much $ into this lol and I am sure going to stick with it after my big investment....what can any one recommend as the best flavors that taste the best and have the best performance?
Anything but coffee............I hate coffee.

I want to feel it like a real cig and I want it to be a good experience. I love the vapor in this, but the tobacco flavor is weird and doesnt taste at all like a cig to me and the flavor is weak to me. Besides I feel like I want to try something good tasting.

So any suggestions would be excellent.

Thanks so much!

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
I agree with leaford...... the coffee cartirdges taste closer to tabacco, lol !!

NOBODY, produces any catridge or liquid that will taste exactly like tobacco. Its just the way it is.

thatgirlblu, if you look at my post just before your's, you can follow that link on how to refill the Smoke-51 cartidges with liquid/juice and experiment with some flavours to see what you like, and for more of a selection to meet your tastes.

VapeOn,
Greg

Great review, Leaford...thank you. I'm an e-cig nub, so I appreciated the info from another smoke51 user.

Just some local info on the smoke51, or "Fifty-One" as their literature calls it, from up here in West Fargo, ND:
  1. The neighborhood gas station/convenience market near my home just started selling a 'kit' which I purchased 4 nights ago. It includes two of the short batteries (refer to the smoke51.com web site...they do not offer this configuration in their kits), an A/C charger, two 12mg tobacco flavored cartridges (yes, 12mg), instructions, and a 'membership card'. It's being sold for $95.00 up here. Cartridges are being sold for $15.95 for a box of 5 (limited flavors so far). I just saw the news story posted on this forum from a MPLS TV station on the Fifty-One being sold in Alexandria, MN, about 2 hours SE of where I live, and I believe the store there was selling the same kit for the same price...probably the same area distributor.
  2. Curiously, while the smoke51.com web site describes only the 8mg/6mg/4mg/0mg options, their order form lists a 16mg and 12mg cartridge too. As noted, the kit I purchased had two 12mg cartridges. The distributor is supposed to be at the store where I bought my kit tomorrow morning. I've asked the store manager to ask him about the 12mg carts to see if they'll be available in boxes of 5.
  3. I would have liked to have had the long batteries. As you noted in your review, I'm spending a lot of time recharging my two short batteries. I've been at it for just over 4 days now and just started my 4th cartridge. I've been a 1-pack-per-day smoker for many years, so I'm guessing your assumption regarding cartridge life is probably pretty accurate (1 cart = 1 pack, not 2). I have noticed that when the cartridge gets towards the end of a day, the taste starts to get kind of nasty. I could probably get some more vapor out of them with a fresh battery, but the taste discourages me from doing so.
  4. I bought a 5-pack of menthol and 5-pack of 8mg tobacco...haven't tried any other flavors (limited at this store so far). I noticed the 12mg and 8mg tobacco cartridges have 4 tiny vents where the cartridge meets the battery. The menthols do NOT have these vents and I had to unscrew the menthol cartidge a tiny bit just to get some air...otherwise was impossible to draw. I even peeled back the paper to see if the vents were simply covered accidently during the manufacturing process, but there are no vents on them. I'm guessing somebody assembled some menthol cartridges with the wrong materials for this model and I was unlucky enough to get a 5 pack of those ;) Regardless, I didn't like the taste so I probably won't buy any more menthol cartridges...reminded me more of a sort of cotton-candy flavor than a menthol flavor.
Again, thanks for the excellent review. I'm going to stick with my Fifty-Ones for awhile and see how they hold up...probably look for another A/C charger or two and probably a couple more batteries...the long ones this time. I'd like to have a hard-cover case to carry two batteries and a couple of cartridges too.

Just one question...any danger of over-charging these batteries? I'm reluctant to set my alarm clock to wake up in the middle of the night to unplug the charger :)

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
The 12mg and 16mg cartridges are a "new" release (finally after so long of complaints wanting more nic content), and I have also found that with their new packaging that are "sealed" in the box that they are much better and fresher (wet and not dried out), so hopefully we will get a little longer use out of them.

One thing I've found with the new carts is that the regular tobacco now tastes like a mixture of carmel with a nutty taste to it. I don't particularly like them myself, but others might. I do however really like the coffee flavoured carts and find them, for some reason, to taste more like tobacco to me rather than a distinctive coffee flavour.

They also now came out with apple & cherry flavours now (I have not tried them yet and probably won't try cherry anyways).

I've been ordering kits for friends and coworkers, when they claimed a "new release" of batteries one batch came in with still two of the long batteries, then the next came in with one long and one short (like originally released). But I haven't ever received two short batteries in a box before/yet (which I'd contact them and complain about wanting at least one long battery). Two short ones would be a pain in the .... !! as their purpose is to allow only an evening vape while recharging the long one.

I've accidently forgotten batts on the charger, and haven't had any issue with them, but as usual, its never a "smart" thing to go to bed or leave any chargers or electronics unattended for the risk of a mishap.

I recieved a hard case from smoke51 and have yet to use it. I'll have to dig it up and look to see what you can store inside it.

VapeOn,
Greg

Last edited:

iazmi

Apr 9, 2009
illinois
leaford & smokumchev: thanks for posting all this great info regarding the smoke fifty product. i purchased mine about 9 days ago after reading your reviews, I've also gone through a few cartridges already. my new question i hope to find an answer for is what juice do i get to refill the cartridges that will give me the same hit as the 12mg carts the smoke fifty came with and as far as how i do it? im guessing aim right and make sure it drips into the cart hole precisely right? or is there a trick to take the cartridge apart, any links you guys can share to purchase the juice right away would be greatly appreciated. thx again guys ;)

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
iazmi,

I had posted about the process to refilling this style of cartridge with juices here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/5640-smoke-51-cartidges.html#post88815

Its obviously a little more work than those designed to be refilled and are certainly shoot and miss (and deffinately not recommended refilling them if you've already hit the dried out stage where you now get a horrid taste from it).

Myself I have quite a few different devices now that allow me to freely use liquids in them, but when I simply want a two piece pick up and go I'll use the 51 with a factory cart now.

I personally use Johnsons Creek fuid by choice, mostly because their USA manufactured, however I do get the inkling for some varied flavours available, and higher strengths from Janty (so far) to dabble in a purchase or two.

Their are so many varied opinions on flavours and juices I can only tell you what I prefer based on my taste buds.

VapeOn,
Greg

The 12mg and 16mg cartridges are a "new" release (finally after so long of complaints wanting more nic content), and I have also found that with their new packaging that are "sealed" in the box that they are much better and fresher (wet and not dried out), so hopefully we will get a little longer use out of them.

One thing I've found with the new carts is that the regular tobacco now tastes like a mixture of carmel with a nutty taste to it. I don't particularly like them myself, but others might. I do however really like the coffee flavoured carts and find them, for some reason, to taste more like tobacco to me rather than a distinctive coffee flavour.

They also now came out with apple & cherry flavours now (I have not tried them yet and probably won't try cherry anyways).

I've been ordering kits for friends and coworkers, when they claimed a "new release" of batteries one batch came in with still two of the long batteries, then the next came in with one long and one short (like originally released). But I haven't ever received two short batteries in a box before/yet (which I'd contact them and complain about wanting at least one long battery). Two short ones would be a pain in the .... !! as their purpose is to allow only an evening vape while recharging the long one.

I've accidently forgotten batts on the charger, and haven't had any issue with them, but as usual, its never a "smart" thing to go to bed or leave any chargers or electronics unattended for the risk of a mishap.

I recieved a hard case from smoke51 and have yet to use it. I'll have to dig it up and look to see what you can store inside it.

VapeOn,
Greg

Thank you for the feedback Greg. FYI, the gas station/convenience market I purchased my kit from told me their distributor would be in last night with "new" inventory, so I went in today and exchanged a short battery for a long battery, and exchanged a defective 5-pack of menthol cartridges (no air vents...impossible to draw vapor without unscrewing 1/8th turn) for a 5-pack of 12mg tobacco in the new packaging you describe. Nice people...no questions asked, just made the exchanges happily. I went ahead and dropped another $100 for a 2nd kit (new inventory has both a short and long battery), so now have two long batteries, two short batteries, and two A/C chargers. I also bought a USB/Auto charger a few days ago, so I'm in pretty good shape now. I can enjoy the product and spend less time hovering over my battery charger :)

I'm giving all 3 new batteries a really good charge this afternoon while enjoying the holiday at home, web surfing and vaping. :D

Wayne (aka BillyAZ)

sf0200

Apr 19, 2009
smoke 51 sent me some cartage's in a small box usually they come in a bigger box and are each sealed in a plastic mold with foil on the top that you break open like a pill pack. well the ones they just sent me are not like that my old ones that i like came in a silver inside and had 4 groves where it connects to the battery. the new ones they sent me do not have the groves and are gold on the inside they are very hard to get a draw from and smell and tastes very bad it makes me want to throw up every time i took a drag. they cam in reg 8mg and vanilla 6mg. whats up with the new cartridges or is this not what they should have sent me.?

TheKingOfKool

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Pennsylvania State
You forgot to mention that the starter kit comes with a membership card. it's a credit card sized card that says your a member of smoke51 and on the back it says how its only harmless vapor and not against the smoking bans. it asks that the establishment allow you to keep smoking the 51 there. So, if anybody comes over to you telling you smokings not allowed you can just pull out the card and show it to them.

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
smoke 51 sent me some cartage's in a small box usually they come in a bigger box and are each sealed in a plastic mold with foil on the top that you break open like a pill pack. well the ones they just sent me are not like that my old ones that i like came in a silver inside and had 4 groves where it connects to the battery. the new ones they sent me do not have the groves and are gold on the inside they are very hard to get a draw from and smell and tastes very bad it makes me want to throw up every time i took a drag. they cam in reg 8mg and vanilla 6mg. whats up with the new cartridges or is this not what they should have sent me.?
Actually, the ones in the foil packs, with the silver connectors and the hard plastic cap are the new design. The ones in the small box with the brass connector and soft rubber cap is the old design. You must have gotten an old box. I just got an order of the new design, and I am VERY dissapointed in them. :mad: They are made by the same manufacturer as the Vapor King, but this batch at least is no where near the VK's quality. Very little vapor. :mad: Try the old box, you may be surprised.

You forgot to mention that the starter kit comes with a membership card. it's a credit card sized card that says your a member of smoke51 and on the back it says how its only harmless vapor and not against the smoking bans. it asks that the establishment allow you to keep smoking the 51 there. So, if anybody comes over to you telling you smokings not allowed you can just pull out the card and show it to them.
OK. Good luck making that stick. :rolleyes:

dpgfla

Aug 21, 2009
Thanks for your review Leaford! Anyways, i'm new here and let me first say that what a wealth of knowledge there is to know about e-smoking. WOW!

Anyways, maybe someone who's had experience with Smoke 51 can help me out here.

I recently purchased a smoke-51 from amazon. I've noticed that some of the cartridges taste ok but they seem to be inconsistent. My first order of vanilla and tobacco cartridges took a little while to get used to but were all in all pretty tasty. Now, the new order of menthol and tobacco I just received from Smoke 51 taste like garbage. There's an underlying taste that makes me want to vomit. I just cant pinpoint what it tastes like.
I'm going to try dripping with the JC liquid that should be coming in the mail today. If that doesn't work I may have to retire this smoke 51.

Does anyone know if there are prefilled cartridges that'll fit the smoke 51 that consistently taste better? Or even the same? I would like to avoid having to spend $15 on a pack of cartridges every week that may or may not taste like garbage..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread