Leaky Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to say it, but one of my sapphires is dripping out of its base. Up until now, there were no issues; it gave up on the last fill though. I thought it might have been a fluke so I drained what was left, cleaned it up, and refilled. Sure enough, it is leaking. Looks like I will get to dissect one sooner rather than later. Luckily, number two is still working like a champ.

So, with nothing to lose, I tore down my sapphire last night. The wick was actually hard to the touch. It was also gummed up and toasty on the atty side. I left it soaking in vodka overnight, which helped with the goo but not the crustiness. It looks like the tank seal was glued onto the base and I have a feeling that it may have gotten onto the wick. I used the wick out of a cracked CE2, doubled over, to replace the stock one. I am back in business with clouds of clean vapor and no leaks.

After seeing the sapphire’s guts, I am twice as impressed with these things!

Amy41996

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, United States
So, with nothing to lose, I tore down my sapphire last night. The wick was actually hard to the touch. It was also gummed up and toasty on the atty side. I left it soaking in vodka overnight, which helped with the goo but not the crustiness. It looks like the tank seal was glued onto the base and I have a feeling that it may have gotten onto the wick. I used the wick out of a cracked CE2, doubled over, to replace the stock one. I am back in business with clouds of clean vapor and no leaks.

OMG you make it sound soooo easy lol i am 2 left thumbs here,,,,and it is dangerous just to let me around glue :vapor:

BanjoMan

Pickin' Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Stretch333,

Once the wick was out could you actually see the coil? And if so do you think it could be dry-burned?

Also, how did you reassemble it without having it leak at the base?

BanjoMan

Pickin' Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Greensboro, NC
That's potentially very good news. If the coils on these can be cleaned and the wicks can be replaced without a major hassle they might just have some serious longevity. I might even break out my old stock of ptb. :)

Sorry, my pics turned out too blurry to be worth anything.
I could see the coil and I did dry burn it since it was apart.

I just made sure the grommet was lined up with the tank side on reassembly and maybe got lucky. There is so much surface area around the base I can't imagine it leaking from there very easily.

PattyR

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Sunshine State, USA
I tore one of mine down today, BanjoMan. The wick was pretty gunky so I used a hand held steam cleaner to get the goo off, but I couldn't stuff the wick back down into the short metal tube. So, I took some old batting I used to use (when I wasn't using blue foam) and stuffed it in, put the plastic tube back on, filled with Mountain Rift, and started vaping. Works great. As soon as I can find my little stash of PTB, I'll try using that as a replacement wick.

That's potentially very good news. If the coils on these can be cleaned and the wicks can be replaced without a major hassle they might just have some serious longevity. I might even break out my old stock of ptb. :)

BanjoMan

Pickin' Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I should have my buds tomorrow or Friday, and I plan on breaking them in right away. I get 3 fills on a CE2 with my juice before the wick becomes to gunked to work properly. I'm curious to see first-hand just how these are put together. Be careful with the PTB... it wicks well but you don't want it right up against hot coil wires. It gets hard and brittle pretty fast.

I tore one of mine down today, BanjoMan. The wick was pretty gunky so I used a hand held steam cleaner to get the goo off, but I couldn't stuff the wick back down into the short metal tube. So, I took some old batting I used to use (when I wasn't using blue foam) and stuffed it in, put the plastic tube back on, filled with Mountain Rift, and started vaping. Works great. As soon as I can find my little stash of PTB, I'll try using that as a replacement wick.

VapingMattCA

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
West Palm Beach, FL
I have taken both of my Saphires apart. It is simple!! I was able to completely expose the coil so it can be cleaned and dry burned. As I am writing this post they are sitting in some 91% isoproply alcohol. An issue that I have discovered is that slightly off taste is from the wick burning. A burned wick doesn't wick as well. I am going to replace the Saphire wicks with CE-2 wicking and see how that works. The metal thing over the coil is held on by glue. The Saphire I have that wicked better than the other one, the metal top wasn't glued on for some reason.

Update:
I tried a few different things with the wicking. I think I have found a solution to the wicking problem. The factory is stuffing in the wicks too much which causes the liquid not to make it down very well to the part of the wick that makes contact with the coil. This would explain why some people are reporting great wicking and being able to use at 5V+. I trimmed part of a CE-2 wick and just put it in the hole. I didn't use an instrument to force more of the wick down. I did this the 1st time and it didn't wick for damn. The Saphire now wicks perfectly and the flavor and vapor production is much improved. I was able to do dry burn to clean the coil without any problems. I am getting no leaks at all. The Saphire should now last a very long time with doing weekly cleaning and dry burns.

Attachments

• Saphire_1.jpg
    Saphire_1.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Saphire_2.jpg
    Saphire_2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Saphire_3.jpg
    Saphire_3.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Saphire_4.jpg
    Saphire_4.jpg