Leaving batteries in charger to change location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I always figured a complete circuit would be when the charger is plugged in.

As an aside, I read here that on the i4 charger, bays 1 and 3, and bays 2 and 4 are seriesed. So if one batt was charged, I'd move one of the others into that open bay to speed up the process.

Reactions: DPLongo22

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

There's no physical switch inside the charger that automatically opens the circuit when the power cord is removed. The circuit is complete when a battery is inserted whether the charger has power to it or not.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens

As an aside, I read here that on the i4 charger, bays 1 and 3, and bays 2 and 4 are seriesed. So if one batt was charged, I'd move one of the others into that open bay to speed up the process.

So instead of 750mah when u move it to the other slot u charge it at 1500mah...
    Hmmm
    I have a cheapo xtar charger for 2 slot that charges with 500mah each battery but even if u charge one battery will draw only 500mah and I see this charger u got will charge 4 batteries at 375mah....I thought would be much faster when 4 batteries in....I guess need very expensive charger to charge 4 batteries at 500mah or 1000mah...or more
    I am surprised it's kinda complicated and need to check specs very good when u want to buy extrernal charger....

• Agree
    Reactions: smacuser

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    There's no physical switch inside the charger that automatically opens the circuit when the power cord is removed. The circuit is complete when a battery is inserted whether the charger has power to it or not.

I am much more concerned tho about the terminals that hold the battery and it's very likely that they will short with other objects and not cause of the internal circuit....except if u have the cable plugged in also and it's ripped off ???
    Either way we can't play with those batteries soo better play it safe :p

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I guess need very expensive charge to charge 4 batteries at 500mah or 1000mah...

You don't have to spend a lot of money to charge at 1A for all 4 batteries.

I have the Efest LUC4 and Opus BT-C3100 and both can charge 4@1A. I'm sure there are many others under $30 that can do that. LUC4 is about $25, Opus is more expensive, about $40 but you can get as low as $30 on sale. LUC 4 is just a charger, Opus has more features and functions. LUC4 doesn't hold 21700 but the new version LUC4 HD does. Same price.

Efest LUC2 (2-bay) can do 2@500ma or 2@1A. Holds 21700. About $18.

All 3 chargers come with wall plug.

My LUC4 is probably 5-6 years old.

need to check specs very good when u want to buy external charger....

Yes. You have to check specs and search for reviews on search engines. Sometimes specs can be confusing for some manufacturers.
    Here's a site to remember: Batteries and chargers

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    I have a zanflare C4. I have several other chargers too, but this is my primary one. I forget what I paid for it, I think it was somewhere in the $50 - $60 dollar range. It has four slots that I can set independently to 300, 500, 700 and 1000 mAh's, and a USB port that's put out 5V at 2A. I never really had a use for that and when I tried it the warranty was already long over. I don't know if it's broke or needs to be turned on. Since I really have no use for that function, I have been inspired enough to try and find the user manual. I could just goto the manufacturers website I guess.. I can recharge NiMH batteries in it too.

• Winner
    Reactions: Superuser187

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I have a zanflare C4. I have several other chargers too, but this is my primary one. I forget what I paid for it, I think it was somewhere in the $50 - $60 dollar range. It has four slots that I can set independently to 300, 500, 700 and 1000 mAh's, and a USB port that's put out 5V at 2A. I never really had a use for that and when I tried it the warranty was already long over. I don't know if it's broke or needs to be turned on. Since I really have no use for that function, I have been inspired enough to try and find the user manual. I could just goto the manufacturers website I guess.. I can recharge NiMH batteries in it too.

Here's the PDF manual for the Zanflare C4

You whe to cut off the power to the unit in order to use the USB Powerbank function, which is the case with all chargers that I've seen with that function.

You need to have at least 2 batteries in the charger to get 2A output, 1 battery only allows for 1A output.

Whether or not you have to press and hold a button for the power bank function to turn on, I don't know, it's not mentioned. Very basic manual. For my LUC 4 you have to press and hold the selection button to turn this feature on. With the LUC 2 the power bank function just turns on automatically when there's no power and there is at least one battery in the charger (the LUC 2 has no buttons).

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
    Sep 29, 2019
    North-Central PA (flyover country)
    I will usually charge my batteries at work, but it takes more than 8 hours. Is it okay to leave them in the charger for the 15 minute ride home where I can finish?

I've never done this, but trying to figure out why not.

Sounds like you're making a lot of work for yourself. Get another charger and keep it at work. Dragging the charger with you is just asking for an accident, like dropping the charger onto the pavement or something. If you keep one at work, you'll have a spare charger and they'll avoid the wear and tear of being moved constantly.

Is it really a matter of life or death if the batteries charge to 100%? When you put fully charged batteries in your mod, it's fine when the battery is running down. It works fine when they're at 50,40,30 and 20% charged. So if you put in batteries that are 88% charged, what does that hurt?

Maybe another pair of batteries would reduce all the shuffling around that you're doing.

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
    Sep 29, 2019
    I keep my active charger on my desk with the computer and all my vaping paraphernalia. If I sit down to browse the forum, read the online newspaper, check my email, refill my RTAs, rewick an RDA, and whatever else, it's usually enough time to charge a pair of batteries. I've never had a battery take 8 hours to charge, though. Not even a 21700. Using a nitecore charger that can vary the charging rate.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Dragging the charger with you is just asking for an accident, like dropping the charger onto the pavement or something.

You can see it fit in an appropriate shaped rubberized ego type case, then into my Jansport backpack on top of my soft sided lunch box.

Maybe another pair of batteries would reduce all the shuffling around that you're doing.

Did that. Now I mainly rotate my 4 new Sanyos and my slightly new 25Rs;
    they all need charging at some point ;)

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Consider a battery that has a capacity of 3,000 mAh. That's the same as 3 Amp-hours. So if a charger can push 1 amp continuously, then the battery should charge in 3 hours. Yeah, it might slow down a bit as the battery reaches 100%, but 8 hours just seems excessive.

Good point. How long should it take to charge 4 3500mah batteries at .375mA?

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Sounds like you're making a lot of work for yourself. Get another charger and keep it at work. Dragging the charger with you is just asking for an accident, like dropping the charger onto the pavement or something. If you keep one at work, you'll have a spare charger and they'll avoid the wear and tear of being moved constantly.

Is it really a matter of life or death if the batteries charge to 100%? When you put fully charged batteries in your mod, it's fine when the battery is running down. It works fine when they're at 50,40,30 and 20% charged. So if you put in batteries that are 88% charged, what does that hurt?

Putting a not fully charged battery into mod??? Like remove from charger and use at less than fully charged ????????
    Whaaaaaaaa
    Are u crazyyyyyy??????
    You are a monster

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA

Great idea. Thanks.

Reactions: Superuser187

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    I had read somewhere that u can safely charge a 18650 battery at the half it's Amps capacity...
    Like a 3000mah battery can be charged at 1.5amp safely...
    Myself I don't want to charge any of those batteries at more than one amp ever.
    They get kinda hot....on the other hand they are not soooo expensive tho maybe I shouldn't care if they don't last long time
    YOLO.

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
    Sep 29, 2019
    Good point. How long should it take to charge 4 3500mah batteries at .375mA?

Assuming that is 375 mA (0.375A), the math doesn't lie. Seems like a low charging rate. Well you do get a lunch hour at work, don't you? That would make 9 hours. And your boss would surely appreciate it if you work an extra 20 minutes each day.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread