LED removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapnewb

Sep 17, 2009
I have just a few questions regarding the removal of the LED from my m401.

Would removing it have much impact on my battery life? (this is the main reason why I'm wondering about it.)

How difficult would it be to remove it, and does that run the risk of shorting out my battery?

I assume it would be easiest to remove the whole circuit board. I'm not sure on the mechanics of these things, and I'm not sure if the circuit board only controls the led, or if it also controls the air sensor that operates the atomizer.

Any and all advice or insight is greatly appreciated.

buttercrunch

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Oregon
I have a 510 battery that must have shorted out or something??, anyway, it will take a charge but it won't heat an atty. the funny thing is, the led light is permanently lit up bright as can be, and has been for 5 days now. I'm watching it to see how many days it takes for the led to drain the battery!! so far it looks like I'm in for a LONG wait!!

Static-Inferno

May 29, 2009
actually.... this could IN THEORY stop the battery from working.
In terms of electronics an LED is sort of like a 1 way valve.
LED is short for light emitting diode and before that they were simply indicator diodes.
They only allow current to flow one way and not the other.....kinda like a trap door.... or a bridge with a light in the center.
My thoughts are if you remove it then there will be no current flowing because you have broken the connection.
I suppose you could go to the trouble but.... it's not as simple as snipping wires, matching voltages, and soldering a bulb in. it's printed on a very tiny piece of bread board.

Best of luck if you dive into this.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
The LED is not in series with the atty element. IN other words, the current for the atty does not pass through the LED. It's on its own (semi parallel) circuit.

Just pulled a 510 battery apart and put a white LED in it for giggles. Hadn't realized how bad my eyesight and how shaky my hands had gotten since the last time I did any micro-soldering!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread