Mad Dog's Magnum Mod Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

addicted4life

Mar 30, 2010
Somewhere
I can't for the life of me figure out why my magnum flashlight mod will not work. I have continuity between the entire circuit board, with the exception of the LED (because I assume my multimeter can't read that). I have a feeling its an issue with the little metal ring that connects to the circuit board and the outside solder points; however, when I push it down, the LED still doesn't light up.

I'm still using the 3 AAA battery setup that comes with the flashlight, until I get my 2 CR2 batteries in.

I guess my main issue is this: the LED seems to go on and off as it chooses and I can't figure out why. If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it, because this is driving me nuts!

PS: Sorry for the badly worded post if the terminology is wrong or I sound like I'm drunk, I swear I'm not :)

traderdan

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
North Texas
Hi
if I understand correctly you have made the famous maddog mod and cant get it to work .If you are useing the three triple A battery's there most likely not enough power to light up the atomizer and the led light both together. Try just the led without the atomizer screwed in. It should light when you connect the circuit. That depends on how and which type you made. I think there are a couple different maddog mods out there.
Hope this helps :rolleyes:

addicted4life

Mar 30, 2010
Somewhere
So you've attached the LED to the circuit board?

With the bottom clicky switch set to 'on' check for continuity from the negative, where you've connected it, to the flashlight body.

This is the images I have to show you guys what it looks like. I the batteries over to 2 CR2 batteries... same result.

Ughhh, post limit is starting to get really annoying...

addicted4life

Mar 30, 2010
Somewhere
I appreciate all the comments! Sorry about the quality, the forum is limiting me to 20kb

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• circuit2.jpg
    circuit2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 97

Kewtsquirrel

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
DFW, TX
moddersupply.com
You're running the LED in series with the atomizer, if you ever had them both hooked up at the same time you more than likely instantly fried the LED. LEDs generally can't handle more than about 40-60mA (.04-.06A), and an atomizer at 4.5v is pulling almost 2A.

Edit:
Didn't see the resistor, you've raised the resistance on that entire circuit enough that the atomizer won't get enough amperage to do anything. Since they are in series, you add the resistances together and then divide the voltage by it to get amperage. Pushing .05-.1 amps through a 3.5 ohm resistor (atomizers are just resistors) will produce roughly 1/10th to 1/3rd of a watt - you'll need 5-10 watts to get an atomizer to produce vapor.

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
You're running the LED in series with the atomizer, if you ever had them both hooked up at the same time you more than likely instantly fried the LED. LEDs generally can't handle more than about 40-60mA (.04-.06A), and an atomizer at 4.5v is pulling almost 2A.

Edit:
Didn't see the resistor, you've raised the resistance on that entire circuit enough that the atomizer won't get enough amperage to do anything. Since they are in series, you add the resistances together and then divide the voltage by it to get amperage. Pushing .05-.1 amps through a 3.5 ohm resistor (atomizers are just resistors) will produce roughly 1/10th to 1/3rd of a watt - you'll need 5-10 watts to get an atomizer to produce vapor.
What atomizer? All I see is a switch and LED.

addicted4life

Mar 30, 2010
Somewhere
Wow, so I replaced the LED and the LED works every time now. So I hooked up the atomizer, then I saw really really big sparks when I took a big drag. The drag tasted extremely burned, so I'm assuming I'm getting too much power to the atomizer?

I used these 2- CR2 batteries.

I have no idea why I would get sparks when I followed Madog's video the entire time. I also used the attached image for a guide as well.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 3368863213_8233da379d.jpg
    3368863213_8233da379d.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Wow, so I replaced the LED and the LED works every time now. So I hooked up the atomizer, then I saw really really big sparks when I took a big drag. The drag tasted extremely burned, so I'm assuming I'm getting too much power to the atomizer?

I used these 2- CR2 batteries.

I have no idea why I would get sparks when I followed Madog's video the entire time. I also used the attached image for a guide as well.

Any ideas?
First off you wasted money on those batteries. You want these.

ATMOSUSA.biz | Electronic Cigarettes | E-Cigs | Vapor | Copper

And a 3V charger like this.

The diagram you posted is wrong, you need a parallel connection off your switch. One wire direct to the atty, the other to the LED.

More like this:

1111-new.JPG

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Are we really sure about 100 ohms in series with the LED?
Is this also going to double as a flashlight?

Do the volts over the ohms thingy. Battery volts (under load), minus LED voltage drop (red or blue?), the rest will be dropped by the resistor. LED current between 2 and 10ma for bright/superbright LEDs is plenty. 40ma is a lot.

addicted4life

Mar 30, 2010
Somewhere
First off you wasted money on those batteries. You want these.

And a 3V charger like this.

The diagram you posted is wrong, you need a parallel connection off your switch. One wire direct to the atty, the other to the LED.

More like this:

I know the batteries I have, aren't rechargeable, but for the sake of testing, they should work, right?

Also, with the diagram, I know it sucks, but I actually had it branching parallel from in between the LED and the resistor, but you're telling me I want it after the switch, but before the resistor, correct?

Last edited:

addicted4life

Mar 30, 2010
Somewhere
Get one of these 5 volt regulators and install it and your troubles are over. This is the one I use on my mods: UCC283TDKTTT-5G3. This will cut your power anywhere from 7.4 with 2 cr2s to 5 volts. I hope this helps.

I don't think I need to get one though. In the video, it doesn't mention anything about a regulator, nor would I have room for one.

addicted4life

Mar 30, 2010
Somewhere
Are we really sure about 100 ohms in series with the LED?
Is this also going to double as a flashlight?

Do the volts over the ohms thingy. Battery volts (under load), minus LED voltage drop (red or blue?), the rest will be dropped by the resistor. LED current between 2 and 10ma for bright/superbright LEDs is plenty. 40ma is a lot.

I'm 6' tall, but that still went wayyyy over my head :).

The LED I have is a blue 5mm from Mad Vapes

The resistor I have is 100 ohm 1/8 watt resistor.

This mod is NOT meant to be used as a flashlight, it's just using that case.

Once again, thanks for all the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread