Less Coil Gunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicarius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
NZ
Raidy had a theory that the gunk was mostly due to impurities in the air as you inhale and they adhere to the hot liquid and coil. I have my own view as flavoured liquids create more gunk faster and this is that the ingredients they have create a binder for these impurities due to higher boiling points so don't 'burn' as cleanly as flavourless eliquid. I really don't know to be honest, but based on the lab results in the link below the carbon content of 64% could well be from air impurities sticking to unvapourised liquid and turning to carbon over time.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/experiments-equipment/12335-analysis-black-gunk-atomizer-coils.html

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I'm no chemist, engineer, physicist, scientist and don't have a Master's Degree, but my guess is that a lot of the gunk is comprised of carbon that is contained as sugars in the flavorings. After reading the "analysis" thread, some of that carbon may come from the PG and/or VG as well, but I'm speculating/guessing based on my own experiences that sugars are the main culprit in carbon or gunk production.

Just my opinion, worth what you're paying for it. Your results and mileage may vary. No warranty or guarantee is expressed or implied. Proceed at your own risk. The opinions expressed here are based on nothing of substance.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Last edited:

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
VG has more calories per unit weight than sugar and it comes from the fats. Think about that for a bit... Most of the flavorings mixer use do not contain sugar. (Obvious exceptions are natural flavorings) Not sure where other folks are getting the sugar from...

Folks that do not use VG generally report less gunking. Folks that use VG and some water generally report less gunking. Folks that don't use flavorings usually report less gunking.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I am only reporting based on my personal experience with sweet versus tobacco only flavored liquids. Checking the structures of PG, VG and sugar shows that PG and VG are combinations of hydrogen and oxygen atoms while sugar contains large amounts of carbon. VG does have more calories and is classed by the FDA as a carbohydrate since it has no protein or fat. VG may well be responsible for some syrupy type of gunk, but the black, ugly, hard stuff contains lots of carbon according to a chemical analysis done by others. The carbon is probably, and I stress probably, coming from the sugars in the flavorings, although impurities in the PG, VG or even the air pulled into the device by vaping could also be contributing to gunk build up.

john333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Indiana
just to toss something into the mix - pg and vg don't gunk a coil at all. I've been vaping unflavored liquid on the same boge single coil cart for the last 2 or 3 months. it works as well as the day I first filled it. in another thread talking about unflavored liquid someone said they have been using the same cart for close to a year.

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2012
San Antonio
I love seeing threads like this one. The gunking issue is one that plagues me every day. I just want to get to the point where I know which liquids to reorder, to always have trouble free vaping. Cleaning coils, arghh. Sometimes they break when I try to clean them. I'd have no idea how to unfurl them and get them back the way they were. Sometimes when I soak them, stuff floats up in the vodka, or vinegar water or whatever I'm using, but after soaking I find that the base with coil and wicks never really works right again. I'd just rather vape stuff that doesn't gunk my coils, just as I'd rather put fuel in my car that contributes to keeping the engine clean.

It is my experience that the clearest liquids are the ones that leave your coils clean, always, regardless of pg/vg content: the anise and licorice, teaberry, cinnamon. Even with 50/50 PG/VG, my clearos just keep going and going, only needing to be refilled, never cleaned.

Anyway, there is this famous list all over the net, which I believe was created in this forum, of liquids that cloud and crack polycarbonate tanks. I'd like a new list of liquids that leave your coils clean, or at least a list of liquids that are clear as water. Here are mine:

1. Any anise or black licorice or absinthe I've ever used.

2. All the teaberry flavors I've tried are clear as water, and leave my coils clean

3. Velvet Vapors fuego (a big red gum type cinnamon, hot but not atomic), even in 50/50. It's clear as water when it arrives in the mail, gradually turning pale yellow over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread