"Let me Bum a Smoke from you?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lo0nyt0on

Verified Member
Jun 10, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Soo today ive been at home smoking my vape..waiting for a guy to call me back from an interveiw i had yesterday.

And suddenly i walk outside and i found myself checking behind my ears for a cigarrete.

Ive been going strong and positive about quitting for myself and my family. But its starting to hit me.
Even the nasty smell they carry now still somhow smells pleasing..tho it smells like crud.

Fast forward to a half hour ago walking back from the store.... i foubd myself about to ask a kid i saw smoking for a cigarette....
I still carry a zippo in my pocket... and a bic in my back pack.... and since i quit smoking i find myself checking behind my ears for a smoke

And the vaping just dosent feel right now like its doing it...

I know i can get overthis..my coughing has subsided(until i do full lung hits and go chasing clouds)
But even still my question for all you ex smokers and current vape users

Do these habits ever die? Tips ?

Intervap

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2013
Port Huron, Mi
I read somewhere that MAOIs (the other, more highly addictive compounds in cigarettes) can produce cravings up to 8 months.
It is different for everyone, some never want one again after the switch. Others will battle back and forth.
Maybe try upping your nic concentration, what are you at right now?
I dig the D.R.I. avatar by the way.

Jo Patterson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
Reno, Nevada
You have discovered why lots carry the e-cigs. True they don't work all that great, but you can get them really, really cheap at places like fasttech.com and they fit behind your ear just fine.

A small mod to replace the zippo, an e-cig, and maybe one of those pass through for your vehicle (so you can leave it there all the time and power it with the cigarette lighter adapter) couple bottles of your least favorite juice in the glove box and you should be good to go.

I only use nic juice in my menthol mix ... most of my habit is situational, boredom or behavior related ... and for those I vape no nic.

Good Luck

P.S. some people need WTA juice for the other addictive chemicals in cigarettes.... and if you really need that analog, let yourself have it. Better to smoke 2 or 3 a week than to give up and go back totally.

Last edited:

calico21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2011
next to a corn field,IL
^^^all of the above, I have been a total vaper, a smoker , a back and forther, (sounds like a song I remember) I am currently a total vaper for 5 days. My car smells like well s#@$ right now, but I still have to tell myself not to go buy a pack when I get in it :(. As much as I would like to say it goes away quickly, it doesn't for all of us. Here's where a bit of will power has to kick in. Vape away the I need a cig blues! You will forget you wanted that smoke for a bit anyway!

Ryan555

Jul 31, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I've been doing this for about 4 weeks. My goal is to get off the analogs, and I have finally begun to find the smell of them unappealing. However, I do still enjoy one on my ride to work, and then a couple in the evening with my wife. She still smokes and I can't find a way to convert her. However, as long as I'm not smoking my pack and a half a day that I was smoking, then I consider it a win. It will be a miracle day when I do finally quit the analogs, but I know that it will happen. I have found that for me, if I keep my PV around me at all times, then I am more likely to grab it than I am to go outside to light up. Hell I've hit it like 4 times since I started typing this. It does help, it just takes more time for some than others.

Lo0nyt0on

Verified Member
Jun 10, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
I smoked for 8 years

My nicotine level is at a 6 and i smoke on a k100 with a igo w rba

I had an ego but my gf is using that lol..

What im hoping is to get another mod and possibly a few ego batteries..

Maby up my nic levil to a 12? Or an 8(ive seen some places sell 8)

But just habits... its just rough

Btw yes DRI is the stuff : p

Megan Kogijiki Ratchford

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
Arvada, CO
I don't even want a smoke and I can't leave the house without making sure I have my lighter. Also, I smoked outside and every time I vape I go outside to keep that habit. Thing is, as I walk past the window to our porch I'm always checking my ashtray to see if I have a half-smoked stinky out there or if I need to get a new one. Every.single.time. Cracks me right up!!

Congrats!! And if you have a stinky now and again it is okay. Just think, every time you vape instead of smoke a cig you are winning!! :D

Only thing I can say is don't get down on yourself. You've made a step in the right direction just starting to vape. I agree with having a setup wherever you go, get the itch take a toot! Take your time with it. I consider myself very lucky that I'm a little over 2 weeks in and I don't have any urge for an analog. Keep it up and I'm sure it'll get easier for ya!

Gaspar74

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Ma
It does get easier. I'm 6+ weeks in and first few weeks I would have a couple a day. Mostly the AM kick start smokes. I then went almost a whole week then had to put a pet down that I was close to. I smoked that day a whole pack. I felt horrible doing it and when it was gone it was gone. I'm on 9 days now smoke free and zero cravings. I've been near others smoking and found it to smell horrible.
I hope you get to that point and I hope I stay at this point.
By the way 21 yr smoker of 1-2 packs a day. I never thought I'd quit them. If you get the right setup you won't miss it.

Gaspar74

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Ma
I don't even want a smoke and I can't leave the house without making sure I have my lighter. Also, I smoked outside and every time I vape I go outside to keep that habit. Thing is, as I walk past the window to our porch I'm always checking my ashtray to see if I have a half-smoked stinky out there or if I need to get a new one. Every.single.time. Cracks me right up!!

Congrats!! And if you have a stinky now and again it is okay. Just think, every time you vape instead of smoke a cig you are winning!! :D
I still find myself going outside at home to Vape. It's habit. It's only recently that I've become more use to being able to vape inside. My GF has been asking by I still go outside and it's just habit. If that's my toughest habit with all this then so be it, plus sometimes you just want to be alone to think etc. :)

State Of Zen

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
Colorado
I consider myself very fortunate. Once I started vaping with the intent to use it to replace analogs, the ecigs did the trick. I think what saved me is that I started vaping at a nic level that was consistent with what I was getting from analogs. I use the 18mg strength juice and all is well. In fact, I haven't even had a craving since my last analog (5 days ago). The dealer from which I bought everything told me that most people trying to quit analogs go for a lower strength nic juice than what they were accustomed to with the analogs, and thus, have cravings. I already can breathe noticeably easier, its awesome. I smoked for 27 years. Hope this helped in some way.

Last edited:

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
You might want to send away for the free NJOY King or pick one up at a convenience store. It comes as close to mimicking the smoking experience as any other vaping gear. They come in very strong nic strengths so they have great throat hit. They are also of similar size and weight as a cigarettes and even have a soft "filter".

Unfortunately, contrary to NJOY's claims, they are only equivalent to about 8–10 cigarettes and are obscenely expensive so aren't practical to use all the time. However, they have been very helpful for some to help deal with cigarette cravings.

I needed the psychological comfort of the familiar form factor of a cig-alike to help me along the way. I clutched my cig-alike as if it were a life raft even for a few weeks after I got my Twists that provided me with a much better vape. We form all sorts of psychological associations with smoking so it's not surprising that it takes a bit of time and some trial and error to sort out how to switch those associations over to vaping.

BigBen2k

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
MA, USA
There's a few things to get used to, but we all get around to it, in time.

-You can't burn your fingers anymore, so you can hold your e-cig any way you want.
-e-cigs don't break; they're a solid metal tube, so again, you can hold them any way you want, without fear of breaking them
-it's ok to drop them, without fear of starting a fire, or burning something

Just don't go using them as drumsticks, ok? :D

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
10 days since your last cigarette? Heh - you got's a ways to go.

At 10 days I was still smoking and placing my 3rd order - for higher nic liquids. It's gonna be different for every person, but until I had a combination of 30 mg and 24 mg liquids in rotation I couldn't get my cravings under control. You may have shot too low coming out of the gate. Trying the next higher nic level would certainly be a good idea.

You also have to work at vaping enough. Said it a bazillion times: vaping is not smoking. For many reasons.

You can't chase your cravings with an e-cig the way you could with smoking. Instant nic fix from vaping? Ain't gonna happen, unless you make the mistake of trying to vape yourself sick in order to get there. For new quitters vaping consistently matters. Hit and miss vaping will leave you with cravings.

There's that, and vaping isn't the auto pilot we were used to with smoking. Unless you pick up a PV and push a button it won't do a darned thing for you. Vaping isn't the "natural" act you were used to. It took me weeks to get comfortable with using a PV often enough before it became second nature. You put it down and there's no penalty for doing that - like with a cigarette smoldering to waste in an ash tray. No reminder to use your PV. There is no easy way to factor "if I smoked a cigarette how many times does that equal pushing a button on a PV?" But if you are experiencing cravings to the point that you want a cigarette instead, chances are you aren't doing it enough.

Last edited:

Drhookerman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2010
Los Angeles
Goodluck buddy!
I mean we all have been there. The first thing I missed about smoking was the smell around my fingers. So for first few day it was extremely hard to get over it. After awhile I would just do a 4 cigs a day. 1 when I get up 1 after lunch 1 after dinner and 1 before bed. I did this for about 1 week then I just had my morning smoke. About 3 years later I am smoke free.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread