Status
Not open for further replies.

Trick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Round Rock, Texas, United States
This was uncalled for, attacking someones views based on geography. It has nothing to do with the 'subject' matter of the thread.

Don't sweat it. One of the fun things about living here is that some people will tend to look at you a certain way for it, or at least joke about it. Kind of comes with the territory. And that last line about being surrounded by pretentious, righteous, uppity people actually was pretty funny... though I usually save comments like that for the L.A. people. :)

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
So....the FC 2000 ceramic wicks...anyone have a connection to the manufacturer? I have some of these on order, but I want to know what they're made of. Haven't been able to find any good info yet.

What I know is that they're heated to 2,000 degrees in a kiln for a certain length of time. I'm not certain, but I think this is how they are made porous.

Last edited:

Trick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Round Rock, Texas, United States
It's called Sarcasm, folks.

Happens to me a lot. I come from a long line of really sarcastic people, and one particularly fond memory of mine was the first time one of my little nephews deadpanned a really snarky remark at me about a shirt I was wearing, and I realized the sarcasm had been passed to a new generation of smartasses. But, yeah, sometimes without the facial expressions to go with it, it doesn't always quite work the same way.

Anyway, inert wicking materials... honestly, I think ceramics may end up being a good way to go if the materials and processing can be done in a way that's safe. It seems to me that the biggest problem right now is that what's currently available just wasn't intended for anything like vaping, and so considerations like "what happens if you heat this up and inhale it?" just weren't considered.

Ceramics have the advantages of behaving in much the same way as rolled mesh as far as wicking goes, and they're relatively simple to manufacture -- hell, far simpler than SS mesh; I could make ceramic wicks in my garage.

eikon

slave to the comma
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I had a thought tonight...what about fully-rinsed activated charcoal pellets, slid in lengthwise within a small glass tube, with the top and bottom pieces sticking out the ends? the MSDS for activated charcoal is acceptable, even for our application.

MSDS - 29238

The only thing that worries me is that it lists "strong oxidizing agents" under "materials to avoid" putting it in contact with.

Has anyone had success with glass tubing? I've seen it mentioned here and there, but haven't heard results. The rapid heating of glass has a tendency to make it break. I use to turn wine bottles into drinking glasses by wrapping some NiChrome around a bottle and hitting it with a 9volt batt, 2 or 3 seconds later nice clean break.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
So....the FC 2000 ceramic wicks...anyone have a connection to the manufacturer? I have some of these on order, but I want to know what they're made of. Haven't been able to find any good info yet.

What I know is that they're heated to 2,000 degrees in a kiln for a certain length of time. I'm not certain, but I think this is how they are made porous.

have no idea ninja of the manufacturer, but i really am liking these alot. so far they are working as good if not better then mesh, and just a breeze to set-up. there is no more of oxidized, or un oxidized, no more peter-k or k-peter. i think this will level the playing field when it comes to succesful results in genesis atomizers. i think there is alot of people not getting the full advantages of these devices because of set-up issues, with a wick that is not conductive, it will make all the difference in consistancy. i dont know how these wicks will perform in a week from now, or 2 weeks from now, or how they will perform on my mechanical mod at sub 1 ohm coil, but if they continue to perform as they are now, i will not go back to ss mesh.

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
Well, my thoughts are that if it's an inert ceramic- similar to the kind that we eat off of, cook with, prepare food on, or use as heating elements in whole-herb vaporizers- then this would be an excellent candidate...

...which is why I spent $30 on them without researching too much further.

Not to be devils advocate too much, but the cermics that are safe to eat from, prepare food on and using in heating elements for herbs don't tend to be porous or friable.

fraghole

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
Tennessee
I realize this isn't the first post on the subject... just that the "oh my God I need to quit vaping, I'm devastated that I've been recommending SS" rhetoric is a bit much, considering there's no real evidence of anything harmful, other than one person's hunch that there might be. It's probably also worth noting that, as far as know, there are no "lab results containing CRVI." A sample was sent to the lab based on a guess that there could be, but no results have come back.

I'm all for looking at alternatives, which has been happening anyway, but the first post just struck me as way over-the-top.

And, no, Ninja didn't start this discussion, but the way the issue was presented pushes it to levels of panic that, at this point, just aren't warranted. And this has nothing to do with where I live. I've lived a lot of other places, too... it's about not jumping to conclusions and going into crisis mode without any real evidence. Just like what seems to have happened with assumptions that my reaction here has anything to do with my geographical location. One more baseless assumption for the pile.

[ETA: I feel a need to mention, Ninja, that I respect your opinion on a lot of stuff. I know you put a lot of thought into what you say most of the time. The first post in this thread strikes me as an anomaly, which is one of the reasons I felt compelled to say something.]

Yes you are correct, none of us have actually seen the "lab reports", that's why the word supposedly was placed in my previous post in front of the term CR(Vl). Maybe I should have used big bold letters. I'm not much for spreading inconclusive data myself.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
The air-stone wicks are not 100% ceramic. I've also heard that they are coated with an antimicrobial/antibiotic substance, which makes sense- you don't want algae growing on your air stones and inhibiting the porosity...

So anyway, the FC-2000 seems like a much better fit for vaping, at least compared to air stones.

FrogHat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Virginia
as far as i know, the fc2000 wick was made especially for vaping, so i am not sure if its anything like the ones in a fish tank. i never tried the fish tank ones, the fc2000 is the first ceramic wick that i have tried.

And where are you getting them ? I am new to RBA's...so any help would be greatly appreciated.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
i had gotten mine from discount vapors, which is ,of course sold out. i bought 3 wicks for about 14 dollars with shipping. also s&s mods carrys them, but they to are sold out, the ones from s&s cost about 10 dollars for 3 wicks with shipping. it will take some time for these wicks to stay in stock regularly, but like all new things they sell out fast.

fraghole

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
Tennessee
i had gotten mine from discount vapors, which is ,of course sold out. i bought 3 wicks for about 14 dollars with shipping. also s&s mods carrys them, but they to are sold out, the ones from s&s cost about 10 dollars for 3 wicks with shipping. it will take some time for these wicks to stay in stock regularly, but like all new things they sell out fast.

I snagged some just to check them out. I have a larger qty. and some in a smaller diameter as well coming (as I'm sure some of you probably do also), but don't know if they are the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread