Letter to my Senator...

Status
Not open for further replies.

maine_builder

Apr 29, 2013
ME, USA
Hello all, I'm new to the forum but I've been vaping for almost 4 months now. I live in Maine, and there is a proposed bill HP 950 that would tax and regulate electronic-cigarettes. There is a hearing on the 6th that I'm probably not going to be able to go to, but I have written my thoughts into a letter to send to my state senators and representatives and am posting it here for suggestions or thoughts.

It is as follows:

To Whom it May Concern,

I would like to begin by saying I am opposed to HP 950. This legislation would impose a new, unwarranted, and unjustified tax on smoke-free electronic cigarettes. This tax would not only be applied to nicotine-based liquids, but also include the hundreds of individual components and accessories. This would include (but is not limited to), PV's (Personal Vaporizers), Starter Kits, Atomizers, Cartomizers, tanks, mouth pieces, wicks, wires, replacement parts, batteries, and even NICOTINE-FREE liquids.

I had smoked 1.5 packs of cigarettes a day for 17 years before discovering electronic cigarettes. I was a slave to them. I couldn't go a day without them, or even a few hours knowing I didn't have them on-hand. It is a dirty, disgusting habit. It made my hands smell, my breath smell, my clothes, my house, my garage, my vehicle. I coughed up black tar constantly. Coughing fits could last several minutes, and when it was over, my chest would be burning, eyes watering, and the first thought in my head would be "I need a smoke". How can something have that kind of power over a person.

Several years ago, I lost my grand-father to lung cancer. He was 65; smoked since he was 14. My grand-father was like a father to me, and I took his passing pretty hard. I wanted to quit smoking, not just for myself, but for him too. I tried patches, nic-gum, a couple different presription pills, and cold turkey. Every time, as disgusting as I knew it was, I turned back to the cigarettes. I was a slave to them. Then, in February of this year, I discovered electronic-cigarettes. I have been smoke-free since. The cough is gone. I have a better lung capacity, and can take deep breaths withough choking. My skin looks better. I feel more alert and ready. I have saved myself a small fortune by not spending $14 almost EVERYDAY just for a cancer delivery system (cigarettes). Vaporizing has saved my life.

Enough of my story; lets get back to the issue of HP 950. As earlier stated, HP 950 would impose an unfair and unjustified tax on all electronic-cigarette kits, products, and accessories by directly linking them to traditional "fire-and-flame" tobacco products simply because they contain nicotine. Studies have shown that nicotine is not as addictive as previously believed. Additionally, nicotine does NOT cause cancer. Combustion of chemicals causes cancer, and cigarettes contain COUNTLESS chemicals. If anything at all, the tax should ONLY apply to nicotine based liquids, but as earlier stated, nicotine is not what is dangerous here. It is the chemicals that are created during combustion when smoking a cigarette that kill, and makes second-hand smoke such an issue. It appears HP 950's main purpose is to continue taxing Maine citizens who have made the decision to break free from smoking cigarettes and, and better their health.

Besides taxes, HP 950 will also make criminals out of innocent Maine citizens who have decided to better their health. It could be punishable up to 6 months in prison and a $1000 fine for a Maine citizen to import more than 1 pound of electronic-cigarette product. This piece would effectively ban most all online purchasing as it doesn't take much including shipping materials to exceed 1 pound. Liquids are heavy, PV's made from metal are heavy, 10 packs of cartomizers add up fast, a few spare batteries can exceed a couple pounds. A full starter kit, with a PV, 2 batteries, 2 Atomizer attachments, a battery charger, some started liquids, and maybe a couple accessories can weigh up to 5 pounds! I can understand wanting to shop locally, and I always do when I can, but as far as vaporizing brick & mortar retail locations in Maine go, they are non-existant. You see the dilemma? Let's talk more about that...

HP 950 also mandates all e-cigarette vendors and retailers have a Maine Retail Tobacco License. This is a hurdle for those who chose to do business in the industry, and the piece about importing more than 1 pound of product? How do retailers obtain inventory? Who would shop there anyway when the state has imposed outrageous taxes on everything on the shelves? That leaves online sales alone, just don't order anything more than a few styrofoam peanuts or you'll go to prison for 6 Months and owe the state $1000. Let's continue...because it gets worse, yes worse...

Let's talk about new authority appointed to law enforcement. HP 950 would give law enforcement new authority to seize e-cigarette products from Maine citizens if the believe it to be contraband (i.e., it was obtained without paying Maine tax). Any transaction made through online purchase would qualify as contraband. PV's are rather simple devices and include a battery, a switch, a connector, some wire, and a case to put it in (get creative here). Any person with general knowledge could assemble one for under $5, and it would last for years if you take care of it. Unfortunately, under HP 950, DIY projects would be contraband. There are so many things that could fall under this category, and it is also at the mercy of the perception and discretion of the law enforcement official.

In conclusion, I believe that HP 950 is a disaster waiting to happen. It cannot be allowed to pass. This bill is a direct attack to those who have chosen to break free from smoking cigarettes. All claims of additional health hazards are undocumented. It is proven that vaporizing is 98-99% better for you than smoking cigarettes! There is NO part of HP 950 that is good for Maine. I urge you to visit CASAA.com for more detailed information. All I can do is offer you my story with electronic-cigarettes, the benefits I got after switching to electronic-cigarettes, and my opinion of what HP 950 means for Maine's future.

Sincerely,

There it is. I will be sending it in a few hours. I'd like to reread it a few more times. I have their office and private e-mail addresses and will be sending it to all of them. Let me know what you think! This is important!

adws

Jan 20, 2013
Harlingen, TX
Good letter but found a typo.

Let's talk about new authority appointed to law enforcement. HP 950 would give law enforcement new authority to seize e-cigarette products from Maine citizens if the believe it to be contraband (i.e., it was obtained without paying Maine tax). Any transaction made through online purchase would qualify as contraband. PV's are rather simple devices and include a battery, a switch, a connector, some wire, and a case to put it in (get creative here). Any person with general knowledge could assemble one for under $5, and it would last for years if you take care of it. Unfortunately, under HP 950, DIY projects would be contraband. There are so many things that could fall under this category, and it is also at the mercy of the perception and discretion of the law enforcement official.

Second sentence it should be they believe not the believe. Don't mean to be picky but a letter like this needs to be spot free. Good job.

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Great letter, maine_builder. I know from past experience that taking the time to reach out to our elected officials definitely has an effect on their voting practices. I've also written my state senator urging him to vote against a bill (SB 648) that would make e-cigarette use illegal in all of the places that cigarette smoking is currently illegal here in California.

Also, I like seeing my fellow grammar nazis take the time to correct the OP's mistakes. We all make spelling and grammatical errors from time to time, but the members of this forum seem to have less regard for the English language than any other forum that I'm a member of.

Grammar: It's the difference between knowing your sh!+ and knowing you're sh!+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread