LG 18650HE2 2500mAh - IMR or ICR? 30A or 20A?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momotaro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2014
Mt Fuji, Japan
I've been shopping around for the new VTC 5 when I saw this LG Battery.

I've read conflicting reviews stating that this is a 30A IMR battery while some states that its a ICR 20A battery So far the only documents listing the properties of the battery are - technical info and another info sheet.

From my interpretation of the data sheet, it seems that this is a hybrid IMR/ICR Battery (I might be wrong) with nominal max discharge current of 20A (instead of 30A as listed by most sellers). Higher discharge rates have been tested without failure (explosion in this case :vapor:)

I would really appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this topic before I make my purchase. If its a hybrid 20A battery, I would rather get a VTC5/VTC4.

Thanks
mT

Last edited:

Joe P.

Mar 9, 2014
At Home
Ratings can be subjective. Not a good thing. But my products look better.
Who to trust the manufacturer or retailer?
Not a hard question.
I would choose a retailer willing to share accurate specifications.
Both these sheets show Max Discharge Current at 20A. I would think it means 20A then.
The torture tests show testing at 35A (note only on one document) (Note same document rates it at 20A)
Many manufacturers show testing at silly levels (meltdown tests) but do not intend the product to be here at continuous discharge.
Continuous discharge. Can not imagine a set up requiring something this high but NO idea what you want to put on top.
buy from a reputable retailer.

Momotaro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2014
Mt Fuji, Japan
Definitely, if the listed maximum discharge rate is 20A, stressing it by discharging at higher rates would not be ideal.

What's puzzling is most retailers are selling this as a 30A battery and I can't seem to find any information to support that. So I'm just wondering if there is a newer version of the LG 18650HE2 2500mAh. If there isn't, I would rather much purchase a VTC which has been rated at 30A.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
this particular battery is actually being touted as a 30A continuous, 35A peak. some reports are saying it got tested to 50A without failure. those numbers seem a tad high to me. but thats only based on what is on the market now. these batts could very well be what some folks are claiming they are.
FYI my info was gathered from vapor joe, gotsmok, and FT, so take that with a grain of salt.

Capturedddddd.JPG

edit: the chart does indeed indicate 20A max continuous discharge. so yeah im wondering where these inflated specs are originating from.

Last edited:

Momotaro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2014
Mt Fuji, Japan
The continuous discharge rate can be determined if you know the C Rating and the mAH rating of the battery.
I can't seem to find the C rating on the specs sheet.

the chart does indeed indicate 20A max continuous discharge. so yeah im wondering where these inflated specs are originating from.
Indeed. If those touted results are based on stress testing and not recommended as the maximum continuous discharge rate by the manufacturer, that is kind of alarming.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I can't seem to find the C rating on the specs sheet.

Not all battery manufacturers or vendors publish the C rating on their spec sheets. A few actually list the amp rating in continuous and pulse discharge rate, but many more do not.

I accumulated a lot of research over a long time to find the amp ratings of the more common high drain batteries in the blog link Battery Basics for Mods. PBusardo has double checked the specs and has published them on his Taste Your Juice website in his battery safety section. Trust this info yourself, or go digging for it just as I did on the internet.

Last edited:

ipodah

Mar 27, 2014
France
The "Efest 18650 2500mAh 35A" batteries are rewrapped LG 18650HE2. Quoting Dampfakkus.de:

This is a rebranded LG ICR18650HE2 cell. Careful: max continuous discharge rate for this cell is 20A *NOT* 35A as advertised by Efest. According to LGs spec sheet 35A is only permissible for short periods not to exceed 75 seconds.

The "Efest 18650 2100mAh 30A" are rewrapped Sony US18650VTC4. Again, quoting Dampfakkus.de:

I am very sure this is infact simply a rebranded Sony US18650VTC4 cell.

And a little picture :

efestn-550x299.jpg

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The LG is a 20A nominal discharge, 35A peak battery.. As said, the Efast 18650 35A seems to be a rewrapped LG... The Efast claims to be a 35A. Of course, most vendors seems to claim the 'max' or 'pulse' discharge as what the battery can actually do long term, so..

The industry standard spec for amp ratings has always been the continuous discharge rate, not the pulse discharge rate. IMHO, Efest is "bending the rules" by advertising their battery as a 35A battery. The average consumer see's this and believes it is a true 35 amp battery comparable to other manufacturers who are listing their batteries with the continuous discharge rate, not the pulse rate. I see this as being rather misleading by Efest.

20 amps is far different than 35 amps when you are sub-ohming, which these batteries are going to be purchased for. This is going to give customers a false sense of security.

Last edited:

Midniteoyl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2014
Indiana
The industry standard spec for amp ratings has always been the continuous discharge rate, not the pulse discharge rate. IMHO, Efest is "bending the rules" by advertising their battery as a 35A battery. The average consumer see's this and believes it is a true 35 amp battery comparable to other manufacturers who are listing their batteries with the continuous discharge rate, not the pulse rate. I see this as being rather misleading by Efest.

20 amps is far different than 35 amps when you are sub-ohming, which these batteries are going to be purchased for. This is going to give customers a false sense of security.

I agree.. I feel that these batts should only be used in a regulated mod.

crazyarms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Thousand Oaks, CA
Glad I found this. I bought one of these LG batteries this past weekend to try out. Guy at the Local B&M stated it was a 35 amp. Thankfully I havent pushed it anywhere near that and now that I know this I wont be trying to use it any lower than it can handle. Going back to only using my VTC5 I guess!

anumber1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
NW Ohio
I agree.. I feel that these batts should only be used in a regulated mod.

The LG 18650HE2 is actually a pretty good battery for use in Mech mods if the 20 amp max is respected.

It's discharge curve shows that it stays in a good "vape range" (4.2 to 3.7v) for a respectable amount of time during use. It is a quality battery.

Unfortunately Efest overstates the LG's ratings. They also add $5 to the price without adding any value such as testing and selecting the best/finest examples of this battery.
Like vacuum tubes of old, not all batteries are created the same. Production variances happen. Some days production is better than other days production.

AW for instance, buys cells from the manufacturer and then tests and selects the best batteries of the batch. Efest makes no such claims.

Illumination supply has the LG 18650HE2 offered at $8 a cell. I buy those and don't push them to the ragged edge of 20A. It's a good battery. It hangs with a VTC5 when used within its ratings. I use mine with a 0.7 build all the time. Well within that 20A rating.

anumber1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
NW Ohio
I just got one of these batteries its pinkish and a sticker with 18650HE2 3.5 2500mah from my local BM vaper shop. I'm currently using a 1.1 ohm coil build at 20 Watts. God I hope im in the safe range... Batteries terrify me.
It's a 20 amp battery. You are well within its limits.

You can run a .3 ohm build with that battery safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread