LG 18650HE2 2500mAh - IMR or ICR? 30A or 20A?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcm010

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2013
Ashburn Virginia USA
They are trustworthy. Good price too. I paid $8 about a month ago.
Ryedan have you been satisfied with the HE2's? also can you let me know if they are the same size as the VCT's? I have several vct's but need to re supply my batteries and the VCT's are nowhere to be found.
Thanks in advance

pauly walnuts

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2013
pa
I had a short with an efest purple 2500mah "35amp" while sizing connections for a homemade box mod. It was resting on the negative contact when a wire fell on top, from my shelf after I stood up from my desk to go to find a tool. I turned around and it was smoking!! After promptly pooping my pants, I flung up my window screen and threw the battery into the yard. It was shorted for 30 seconds or so.

I waited an hour to retrieve it, half melted wrapper but otherwise fine. The next day, I pulled out an extension cord and charged in on my sidewalk, 20ft from my house. Dumb? maybe, but in a safe way. After it was charged, I cannibalized a wrapper from a junk 18650 I had in my drawer and tried it out. Just fine. Been back in my rotation for a few weeks now. No overheating, same capacity, same charging time. All good, I think.

Moral of the story, the efests earned my trust. Misleading labeling, probably. But they are solid IMO.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Ryedan have you been satisfied with the HE2's? also can you let me know if they are the same size as the VCT's? I have several vct's but need to re supply my batteries and the VCT's are nowhere to be found.
Thanks in advance

Sorry samcm010, I missed your post until pauly brought it back up today. Probably way too late now of course, but just in case ...

I have one HE2 and am very satisfied with it. I have three Samsung 25R's and feel the same about them. Time will tell how long they last. I've tested both at 0.2 ohms and they handle that with no problems at all when they are new. I'm not going to run them that hard, I use VTC's for less than 0.3 ohms, but they are really good batteries.

Size wise they are all pretty much the same, slightly under 65mm.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I had a short with an efest purple 2500mah "35amp" while sizing connections for a homemade box mod. It was resting on the negative contact when a wire fell on top, from my shelf after I stood up from my desk to go to find a tool. I turned around and it was smoking!! After promptly pooping my pants, I flung up my window screen and threw the battery into the yard. It was shorted for 30 seconds or so.

I waited an hour to retrieve it, half melted wrapper but otherwise fine. The next day, I pulled out an extension cord and charged in on my sidewalk, 20ft from my house. Dumb? maybe, but in a safe way. After it was charged, I cannibalized a wrapper from a junk 18650 I had in my drawer and tried it out. Just fine. Been back in my rotation for a few weeks now. No overheating, same capacity, same charging time. All good, I think.

Moral of the story, the efests earned my trust. Misleading labeling, probably. But they are solid IMO.

Yup, as far as I know they are LG's and those are pretty good. If that's the case, there is still nothing that ties Efest into always using these batteries so you can never really be sure what you're getting from them. If you trust Efest that's not a problem. I have a hard time trusting them though since they advertise amp limits that are pulse limits contrary to industry standards.

If I understand you correctly, you shorted a battery for around 30 seconds, it got hot enough to melt off half the wrapper and you are now vaping it. I would not do that with a battery from any manufacturer. IMO the internal damage to this battery is unknown and could be serious.

I'm also curious as to how well the LG HE2's perform. VTC4's are very scarce around here. In fact, the small quantities that are still around went up in price to about $30 each. My local shop talked me into purchasing a set of LG's today at $9 each. I have been using a mech mod for quite some time and decided to switch over to a sigelei 100w plus in a week or two, so i'm trying to buy new (paired) batteries for it. Does anyone know if a pair of these LG's would be safe in a 100w box mod? Or should i continue to hunt down VTC4's?
Ive been running on the 3 VTC4's and even 2 VTC3's for a long time. I would say well over a year now. I have come to trust them as a safe battery.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Need some help here to explain what this means on my LG battery

Type 1 - LGDBHE21865 "N220H082A1"
Type 2 - LGDBHE21865 "N207G262A3"

What I am confused about is words in "". Are they are actually similar batteries with similar discharge amps?
I was told to use same batteries for the vaporflask.

Anyone here is clear on this and can enlighten me?

More than likely its a batch or date code telling LG when it was made..

Theyre both HE2s, they have the exact same specs.

msmalls1982

Dec 11, 2013
United States
Thanks Monotremata :)

I am using a mec mod and just purchased 2 of the eFest 35A 18650s from Electronic Cigarette | E Cigarette | myvaporstore. I use the Aspire Atlantis (.5 to .6 ohms) and the Kanger Subtank (.5 - .6 ohms). Should this be a problem?

I was previously using LG 30amp batteries that I purchased from my local vape shop but thought going up to 35A would be a better idea. Now that I am reading these are not actually 35amp batteries I am concerned. However I read this is only the case if it is used for more than 75 seconds? I don't know who takes 75 second vapes? I vape for a few seconds at a time, maybe 3 seconds?

Are these purple eFest batteries worse than my LG 30amp batteries?

My LG's are both HE2's

I am confused now, why would efest advertise these as 35A if they are only 20A? Can I safely use these in a .5 or .6 ohm setup with my mec mod? I am planning on purchasing a Vamo V7 35A mod to use as I don't really like sub ohming with mec mods, I would rather have some sort of information on a display as far as how charged the battery is, exact wattage, ect...

Last edited:

msmalls1982

Dec 11, 2013
United States
I am using a mec mod and just purchased 2 of the eFest 35A 18650s from Electronic Cigarette | E Cigarette | myvaporstore. I use the Aspire Atlantis (.5 to .6 ohms) and the Kanger Subtank (.5 - .6 ohms). Should this be a problem?

I was previously using LG 30amp batteries that I purchased from my local vape shop but thought going up to 35A would be a better idea. Now that I am reading these are not actually 35amp batteries I am concerned. However I read this is only the case if it is used for more than 75 seconds? I don't know who takes 75 second vapes? I vape for a few seconds at a time, maybe 3 seconds?

Are these purple eFest batteries worse than my LG 30amp batteries?

My LG's are both HE2's

I am confused now, why would efest advertise these as 35A if they are only 20A? Can I safely use these in a .5 or .6 ohm setup with my mec mod? I am planning on purchasing a Vamo V7 35A mod to use as I don't really like sub ohming with mec mods, I would rather have some sort of information on a display as far as how charged the battery is, exact wattage, ect...

I am now reading an eFest 18650 2500mah 35A is the same as an LG HE2 30A but how can that be possible if the max discharge on the eFest is 35A and the max discharge on the LG is 30A?

It appears they both have a continuous discharge of 20A but they can't be the same battery if one has a max discharge of 30 and the other 35???

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I am now reading an eFest 18650 2500mah 35A is the same as an LG HE2 30A but how can that be possible if the max discharge on the eFest is 35A and the max discharge on the LG is 30A?

It appears they both have a continuous discharge of 20A but they can't be the same battery if one has a max discharge of 30 and the other 35???

Here is the LG HE2 spec sheet. As you can see on page 4 the max continuous discharge rate is 20,000 mA, or 20 amps.

Efest claims 35 amps, which is a pulse rate but they don't say how long the pulse is, because they are marketing it to people who don't know this. I think it's pretty shady, but that's just me.

As far as I know the only 18650 batteries that are really rated at 30A are the Sony VTC series and there is a bit of doubt about the VTC5. There are no 35A, 40A or higher batteries.

Reactions: daveboyni

msmalls1982

Dec 11, 2013
United States
Here is the LG HE2 spec sheet. As you can see on page 4 the max continuous discharge rate is 20,000 mA, or 20 amps.

Efest claims 35 amps, which is a pulse rate but they don't say how long the pulse is, because they are marketing it to people who don't know this. I think it's pretty shady, but that's just me.

As far as I know the only 18650 batteries that are really rated at 30A are the Sony VTC series and there is a bit of doubt about the VTC5. There are no 35A, 40A or higher batteries.

I understand that now but still they must be slightly different if one has a "max discharge" of 35amps and the other is only 30amps. The continuous is 20amps for both but the "max" is different so the chemistry must be slightly different. The eFest's can't just be a re-wrapped LG HE2. Otherwise the "max" would also be 30amps....

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
I understand that now but still they must be slightly different if one has a "max discharge" of 35amps and the other is only 30amps. The continuous is 20amps for both but the "max" is different so the chemistry must be slightly different. The eFest's can't just be a re-wrapped LG HE2. Otherwise the "max" would also be 30amps....
Did you read his reply? I thought it was widely known around here that Efest likes to twist things in regards to their ratings? Its marketing, its how Efest suckers you into paying MORE for a battery that wasn't good enough by LGs standards to become a real HE2 in the first place.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

To put it bluntly, Efest is lying. 'Max discharge', unless it is stated as non-continuous with a time limit given for the time duration the rating applies to, should always refer to maximum continuous discharge.

Last edited:

msmalls1982

Dec 11, 2013
United States
To put it bluntly, Efest is lying. 'Max discharge', unless it is stated as non-continuous with a time limit given for the time duration the rating applies to, should always refer to maximum continuous discharge.

Oh well I just ordered 2 Sony VTC4 batteries. I need a bunch of batteries anyway, the ones in the current rotation are all dying out and all I use is .5 ohm coils.

I am pretty sure these are 30amp continuous, correct? I read somewhere VTC4's were 20 and the 5's were 30? Two reputable sites I have used frequently have the VTC4s in stock

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Oh well I just ordered 2 Sony VTC4 batteries. I need a bunch of batteries anyway, the ones in the current rotation are all dying out and all I use is .5 ohm coils.

I am pretty sure these are 30amp continuous, correct? I read somewhere VTC4's were 20 and the 5's were 30? Two reputable sites I have used frequently have the VTC4s in stock

The VTC3 and VTC4 are both rated 30A continuous. There is some discussion about VTC5s actually being 20A, but there is no consensus on it yet as far as I know.

Good luck with them!

jstrong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
Virginia
Thanks in advance

I have some new VTC4's if you are interested. I am not gonna use them if you wanna pm me. I got them from a trusted vendor

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Purple Efest Batteries Not As Advertised

Continuous Discharge Ratings vs Pulse (Burst) Discharge Ratings

The "continuous discharge rating" in amps is the standard specification for amp limits within the battery industry. It is a determination made by the manufacturer and represents the amp limit a battery can be safely used before it will fail.

The "pulse or burst" discharge rating is not a specification standard within the battery industry. Every manufacturer or vendor seems to have their own definition of what the pulse rating is. Some vendors and manufacturers also "bump" their specs up to encourage increased sales.

A pulse discharge rating is any use above the continuous discharge rating. It is never safe and not within the intended operating parameters of the battery. You should not operate your device above the continuous rating if you can help it. The pulse rating is a condition in which the battery is on basically a buildup to failure. It is exceeding the sustainable and intended discharge rate of the battery. It is inappropriate for a consumer device to operate in the pulse range of its battery.

Which would be why we shouldn't rely on any pulse rating. Any failure, mechanical or electronic, that fires the mod will operate in the 'continuous' mode. If your setup relies on a pulse rating, it's instantly over spec.

If your amp draw is safely in the continuous discharge range, your coil could act almost like a fuse and burn out before the battery is stressed. If you are already running the battery at the edge of it's limits (pulse), there is no margin of safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread