LG HG2 and Flashlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm sure that @Mooch will eventually be along to give a more informed answer than myself. Until he does, I'll give my :2c:.

My father was a carpenter and he always told me to use the "right tool for the right job".
Flashlights typically call for protected low-drain ICR or alkaline batteries.
The LG HG2 are unprotected high-drain INR batteries.

Will they work in a flashlight. Yes.
Will they be safe if used in a flashlight? Probably, but safe is always a relative term with batteries.
Are they the ideal battery for the job? Maybe/maybe not.

I'm not a flashlight expert, and I imagine that there are high-tech professional-grade flashlights that do call for a high drain battery. But for the typical consumer-level person that uses a flashlight for around the home or car use I suspect ICR or alkaline batteries are ideal.

Last edited:

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
They are little cree single 18650 or 3 AAA flashlights. No protection other than reverse polarity and cuts off at low battery charge as far as I can tell. Currently have protected batteries in them that are ready for replacing soon.

Not a problem to get more protected batteries. Just wondering if the HGs could be used for them. No problem if they aren't usable. The HGs are still in decent shape but no problem just recycling them.

1/2 fast

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
SW Ohio
Been using AW button tops in flashlights for 3+ years without a problem. With these old eyes there’s a flashlight in every room of the house, in the cars and even clipped to the jeans pocket. I like using the same type of batteries for vaping and flashlights. “Backups of backups” kinda thing.......

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My 5W Cree LED flashlight came with a cheapo 18650 battery included, along with a clear plastic sleeve to shim it up and prevent rattles (it also runs on 3 AAA batteries in a clip with the tube removed).

Flat top 18650's are what it was designed to work best with for high end illumination. With a 5W drain I don't see a problem with using the same 15A and 20A batteries we use in our vape mods. It's in the same ballpark as a Tootle Puffer vape on a 30Q.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have two Atomic Beam flashlights that have IMR's in them. The only issue I can see would be discharging below the low voltage cutoff of 2.5v, I never let them get close.

I agree. When the light output isn't blinding it's time for a new battery. I don't really know if mine hits a cutoff point. I just learned to judge by brightness and swap cells.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I agree. When the light output isn't blinding it's time for a new battery. I don't really know if mine hits a cutoff point. I just learned to judge by brightness and swap cells.

I was refering to the battery's low voltage cutoff (a battery spec indicating the lowest discharge voltage). I'm pretty sure these flashlights don't have any kind of low voltage safety cutoff.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I’m using my few year old lg hg2’s in my fenix tk16. They work fine and because they aren’t used as much as when I vaper them they last plenty long. As far as amp requirements for flashlights I think 10 amp is the most you’d need so you could get batteries with another 500mah or so but what you are currently doing shouldn’t cause any problems. You may want to consider a analytical charger in the future so you can get an idea of what your older batteries have left. I got a liikala 500 for around $25 from fasttech which works well, also the opus 3100, I think?, is another solid choice. Just something to consider to have the ability to see how your batteries are holding up. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread