Li-Ion Batteries - THE TRUTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnealtx

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Camp Bondsteel, Kosovo
This is really interesting as I was always under the impression that li-ion batteries had some sort of "memory" (bad analogy) regarding it's capacity and that is maintained by always discharging fully and then recharging it back up fully. Though it does make sense not to fully charge the battery making it operate at a voltage higher than the recommended operating voltage; are you saying that it's better not to discharge it fully?

What you're remembering is for ni-cad batteries, I believe.

tparganos

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
I had a problem with one of my batteries yesterday. The thing is either leaking or something else. I wasn't sure if it was the battery or the atomizer but when it happened the atomizer was sizzling and smoking I needed to hold it with a rag to get it off. I put another atomizer on the battery and that started to sizzle so I am sure it was the battery. Both atomizers work fine on another battery. That was kind of frightful seeing the thing go up in smoke.

Keef

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2008
Scotland
Sounds like your battery switch is stuck on .
Lucky you caught it and it did not dry your atomiser out too much.

You can try giving it a gentle tap or blow through it from the LED end and see if that frees it , you most likely got some liquid in there and made it sticky.

If you do get it free Don`t leave it unattended , it may stick again and you dont want it turning on in your pocket.

camidaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2009
A, A
www.facebook.com
Speaking of charging and the "green light", I have the M401, and the LED indicator on the charger never stays green. It starts out red and eventually flashes red/green. Is that normal. The manual reads like a bad attempt by a third grader, so it's no help at all.

Mine is doing the same thing and has been from day 1. I'm using the Dragon M401 from truesmoker. Doesn't seem to be affecting the battery life but I'm just not sure.

Afteraffex

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Speaking of charging and the "green light", I have the M401, and the LED indicator on the charger never stays green. It starts out red and eventually flashes red/green. Is that normal. The manual reads like a bad attempt by a third grader, so it's no help at all.

my m401 kit from heaven gifts does the same thing.

Kelly79

Jul 7, 2009
Alaska

I have an RN4081 and it on the other hand never stays red for more than 5 minutes even when I know my batt is significantly depleted, and I am having trouble now getting them charged up. Can't wait till my 901's clear customs and get here (ordered from ruyandirect and eastmall:p)

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Go take a look for yourselves!

This thread was supposed to settle disagreements about batteries, not start arguments!

LOL!

I took a look and found one chart on charging that answered a common question:

Does keeping the lithium ion battery in the charger harm the battery?

Answer:
It does not matter. The charger automatically cuts the charge current when the battery is full.

scyllabub

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2008
London, UK
When charging my 510 (Dura-C) batteries my two USB chargers blink red every 5 seconds when (I presume) charging is complete.

I don't know if this has been mentioned earlier in this thread, but I am puzzled why a company like Janty would still be issuing the following charging instructions with 510 batteries:

Charge 8 hours, no matter how soon the light goes green
Vape 20 minutes
Charge a further 1 hour.

Please will someone get to the bottom of it :confused::confused::confused:

scylla

Keef

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2008
Scotland
P4CO if you have a battery that is good for say 1000 full re-charges then it should be good for 2000 half charges and so on.

But remember these little batteries are being hammered with the constant charging and discharging.
The mAh starts to drop off pretty quickly.
You will notice in the first week they give good vapour for a much longer period of time than they will in the following weeks.
They will also take longer to charge when new, once they start showing fully charged after a much shorter period it is time to replace them.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Thanks Keef,

So, better not to charge unless it's necessary

I don't think Keef is saying that.

See:

Welcome to Battery University
How to prolong lithium-based batteries

eg.:

"Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns."

Do and don't battery table

motorcity57

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2009
I'M RIGHT HERE
Why are they not packing all their batteries with the new lithium-ion ?
LiFePO4
LiFePO4 Li-Ion batteries:

Rechargeable LiFePO4 3.0V 750mAhBattery
Life cycle: 2000 times (Traditional Li-ion: 500 times)
Never explode or catch fir
Capacity: 750 mAh
Maximum discharging rate:< 550 mA
Maximum charge current: <550 mA
Cell's dimension: 17mm Dia. x 34.5mm H.
Weight: 0.6 oz (18 grams).

Nestran

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Rhode Island
Why are they not packing all their batteries with the new lithium-ion ?
LiFePO4
LiFePO4 Li-Ion batteries:

Rechargeable LiFePO4 3.0V 750mAhBattery
Life cycle: 2000 times (Traditional Li-ion: 500 times)
Never explode or catch fir
Capacity: 750 mAh
Maximum discharging rate:< 550 mA
Maximum charge current: <550 mA
Cell's dimension: 17mm Dia. x 34.5mm H.
Weight: 0.6 oz (18 grams).

Bummer, I have three dogs. Would have been kinda nice to have some batteries around to catch fir. :lol:

Nestran

P4C0

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2009
Panama
Thanks Kent,

I just got the 510, the manual says that I should give each batteries an initial 8 hours charge, I didn't do it, I just put it on the charger and when the light went green I started using it... it last for about 20 minutes or so... then I recharge it for 3 hours.

The manual says that it must be charged for 1 hour no matter what the light says, so I supposed the red/green light doesn't do much....

(silly question: are we sure that this batteries are lithium and not nickel?)

I'm charging one battery right now, I'm playing close attention to it, just to see when the green light goes on, if it goes on at the same time, then the charger must have a type of timer or something like that... anyways I just noticed that about ~15 minutes charging the red light started to blink one time to green (it's a really short blink red-green-red) every ~10 seconds!

Is this normal? maybe the charger is checking the battery charge? It's close to 20 minutes complete an hour in the charger and the light is still red... should I wait for the hour? or remove it when it goes green?

How long do you charge 510 batteries? 1 hour? 3?

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
Thanks Kent,

I just got the 510, the manual says that I should give each batteries an initial 8 hours charge, I didn't do it, I just put it on the charger and when the light went green I started using it... it last for about 20 minutes or so... then I recharge it for 3 hours.

The manual says that it must be charged for 1 hour no matter what the light says, so I supposed the red/green light doesn't do much....

I'm charging one battery right now, I'm playing close attention to it, just to see when the green light goes on, if it goes on at the same time, then the charger must have a type of timer or something like that... anyways I just noticed that about ~15 minutes charging the red light started to blink one time to green (it's a really short blink red-green-red) every ~10 seconds!

Is this normal? maybe the charger is checking the battery charge? It's close to 20 minutes complete an hour in the charger and the light is still red... should I wait for the hour? or remove it when it goes green?

I don't know about anyone else, but it takes 2 hours to recharge for my 510 batteries.. I can do it by clockwork... About the blinking red light, that is normal, mine does it all the time.. Remember to make sure you are screwing in the battery tightly when you recharge it, because I went to charge one the other day, thought it was tight enough, then after awhile the green light went on, thought it was fully charged, and it was dead.. I guessed that the battery was dead, but decided to recharge again making sure it was tight, after 2 hours it was fully charged and a.o.k.

~Now I'm out of breathe since I said that basically all of that in one long sentance *LOL*~

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Thanks Kent,

I'm guessing you have the corded usb charger. That's the red/green blinking light - stupid idea - should be either red or green - but it still works. Once you see green (even though blinking red) the battery is charged. As far as time goes, mine charge off my monitor usb ports and take about an hour. The charging cycle is not based on time, it monitors the actual charge and indicates when that charge is reached.

And they're lithion ion not nickel.

P4C0

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2009
Panama
I'm guessing you have the corded usb charger. That's the red/green blinking light - stupid idea - should be either red or green - but it still works. Once you see green (even though blinking red) the battery is charged. As far as time goes, mine charge off my monitor usb ports and take about an hour. The charging cycle is not based on time, it monitors the actual charge and indicates when that charge is reached.

And they're lithion ion not nickel.

Well I have the charged that came with the kit, the manual says it's usb but it has nothing to do with usb as far as I can tell, it's just the charger and a really small power cord to plug it into the wall outlet, it also have a small jack on the side for 12v input (for car adapter, but there's no car adapter on the kit)

The thing is that I'm not really sure that this charger is really monitoring the battery or not, I mean the first time I charge it it went green in about 30 minutes or so... but it only gave me like 10 puffs... Then I charge the other one for 3 hours without caring about the green light and it last from 6pm to 1am.

But now I know that it takes around 2 hours to charge, so if I got a green light i will wait for at least one hour, after one hour on the charger if the light goes green i will unplugged it... this makes sense right? :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread