Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
>Thanks :)

Sure.

> Well I have the charged that came with the kit, the manual says it's usb but it has nothing to do with usb as far as I can tell, it's just the charger and a really small power cord to plug it into the wall outlet, it also have a small jack on the side for 12v input (for car adapter, but there's no car adapter on the kit)

Ok. I know the one. The one I mentioned is this one:
USB Charger(with cord) for Joye510 mini e-cig - Spare parts - Heaven-gifts.com Ruyandirect.com Best E-smoking Shop=

That has a red light when charging then when charged the green light comes on but the red light also flashes on every 5 seconds???

> The thing is that I'm not really sure that this charger is really monitoring the battery or not, I mean the first time I charge it it went green in about 30 minutes or so... but it only gave me like 10 puffs...

Hmmm. Strange. I've had batts come fully charged (ecigexpress) or partially - most others - I think the 'battery tech' is to have them around 40%. But 10 puffs would have been less than that.

> Then I charge the other one for 3 hours without caring about the green light and it last from 6pm to 1am.

You can't overcharge but it is recommended to keep the first charge on after the green light comes on but not for 8 hours like Spikey's video or the instructions - see the batteryuniversity site or other links on li ion on the net. The 8hrs is a holdover from the nicads.

> But now I know that it takes around 2 hours to charge, so if I got a green light i will wait for at least one hour, after one hour on the charger if the light goes green i will unplugged it... this makes sense right?

No need to unplug. Again you can overcharge. The only place where you might want to unplug is with a PCC where after the batt is charged, if the PCC internal batt is running low it may grab charge from the ecig batt. One poster said 'watch the center light' on the PCC and if it goes red take the ecig batt out. Makes sense to me.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Quick question: how do you know when your battery has a 40% charge? Do you just charge them for aprox 40% of the normal charge time?

That would be a good way. I was just stating what the batteryuniversity.com site said and how the manufactures/distributers do that I really don't know but you're way would work. My corded usb chargers take 1:10 - uncorded usb clamp type - 1:40, wall plug - 1:00

rbonie

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Jackson,Ms (da DEEP Sout!)
thanks for posting this Magnus...ive said in many posts its not necessary to charge the batteries for 6, 10 or 12 hours...even for the first time..

once the charger light turns green...its done...no more charging needed...period. of course there may be some exceptions...such as a battery that may be at the end of its life

ive have never had a problem with the battery being undercharged...my 6 batteries last consistently for 3 to 4 hours...depending on how much i vape.

i dont think it matters which battery from which manufacturer...i have both a DSE 801 and DSE 901..i charge them the same...once the light is green..its done

that goes for any Li-Ion and Li-Po battery
I'm a , (er rather WAS), 2 pack a day smoker. Working on 'puter or doing paper work at a desk I will vape heavilly.(Used to have cig inda mouth one burning is ashtray and be reaching for another without thinking). I'm finding that my batts are lasting 1 1/2 hours or 2 at the most. Is it just usage or am I doing something wrong?:confused:

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
I'm a , (er rather WAS), 2 pack a day smoker. Working on 'puter or doing paper work at a desk I will vape heavilly.(Used to have cig inda mouth one burning is ashtray and be reaching for another without thinking). I'm finding that my batts are lasting 1 1/2 hours or 2 at the most. Is it just usage or am I doing something wrong?:confused:

I can only get 2 hours too, and am a heavy vaper.. I normally use the usb passthrough, or plug the passthrough into the wall outlet, or into the car... Doing this, one of the batteries in the passthrough lasts like one month without recharging...

joedirt

Verified Member
Aug 11, 2009
That has a red light when charging then when charged the green light comes on but the red light also flashes on every 5 seconds???

> The thing is that I'm not really sure that this charger is really monitoring the battery or not, I mean the first time I charge it it went green in about 30 minutes or so... but it only gave me like 10 puffs...

My belief is that the auto batteries have a voltage sensing circuit. It is probably the reason some people unscrew their atty slightly overnight. If you measure an auto battery there is a slight mV and I believe this is the sense circuit to see if it is connected to a charger. When it senses it is connected to a charger, it connects the battery (the same way the diaphram switch turns the battery on when you puff).

When in a cheap charger you can see a fully charged green light in the charger go slightly duller every five seconds or so. I believe this is the sense circuit. It explains why your USB light flashes red every five seconds because it is moving a little current.

Also, you generally don't want to leave these things fixed to 4.2V for a long period of time (see OP and comments about plating). Store batteries that won't be used for two weeks at a reduced charge. I wouldn't recommend leaving in a 4.2V charger for long periods or even 12 hrs plugged into a USB charger that is keeping it pegged at 4.2V. Yes, it is "safe" and there is overvoltage protection and it has been discussed ad nauseum but the fact is that forcing a 4.2V for long period cause plating (more modern LiIon at rated to 4.25 or 4.3V I've seen)

I don't know if anybody has fully stated whether or not some of these cheap chinese chargers are still actually charging once the battery goes green or not.

When I get my 510 charger in the mail here in a few days I'll sacrifice the cord for the sake of argument.

I'll hook it up to my multimeter which will tell me precisely how much current is actually flowing into the battery if any once the light turns green.

If this has already been done please let me know and I won't waste my time :)

MREXE

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
MT. PRINCETON, COLORADO
good grief, after reading every post in this one, then I get my Pecans eaten by the lemmings for posting the truth.........but, in the end, it was worth it! manual batts (reg size) charge in about two hours. period. last 2-3, just got the megas for my 510. first day they lasted 7 hours!! I have Lithium-ion batts in computers, flashlites, cameras etc. if you over charge these things, watch out! just cuz they have a"protection circuit" doesnt mean they wont fail...........the chinese dont give a rats ...., ya cant sue 'em.

AutumnLoving

Sep 8, 2009
NJ
Hello,
A while back before my 510. I was using my now emergency super Cigarette RN4081 I purchased at the mall.
I purchased an extra charger and notice one would turn green before the other one. Basically, when I removed the battery from the charger that was green and put it on the other charger that one would be red for about a half hour or so longer. I actually stuck labels on them and rotated the batteries from one charger to the other. Anyone else notice that?
Confusing for sure.

the charger is irrelevant. Those that ship with the majority of kits are un-protected. the charger will just keep pumping in the voltage regardless if your un-protected battery is full capacity or not. result , Un-protected battery -un-protected charger -forgetfull user-fire.

Ecig batteries are protected. Part of the chippery of the circuit board is a charge protection circuit. When the battery measure 4.2volt the chip cuts the charge pathway preventing anymore power into the battery.
If the battery is still connected to the charger and the battery in idle state drops to 4.1volt the battery charge cicuit opens up the charge pathway and allow another 0.1 volt back into the battery before again closing the pathway at 4.2 volt.

so , If your light turns green the battery isnt accepting more charge but your charger is still producing current to it but the charge protection chip breaks the circuit preventing it reaching the lithium cell.

Light = green : battery charged, battery accepting no further charge.
Light = Red : charge circuit is made , therefore battery is telling charger it's not at capacity.

If your happy to trust a Really cheap bit of cicuit board not to fail ( and we all know how unreliable these batteries are ) and leave them to charge un-attended or worse over-night while you sleep, then your either very naive or have a great fire escape system.

fatalis

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
www.myspace.com
Hi guys,
I have a BLU e-cig (yes, this is before I found this forum and knew any better, grrr!) and lately, like the past week or so, everytime I try to charge the batts, they turn from red to blue within 1/2 an hour! The same thing happens whether I try charging it in the USB charger, the PCC, or the wall charger! Don't quote me on that, but it's been around 1/2 an hour, maybe at the most 45 mins.
The other thing I've been wondering is, how do you tell if it's the batt that's low or the cart that needs replacing? It just seems like whatever I try lately, it's gotten much harder to drag, not producing much vapor and very weak taste... How can I tell if the cart is low on juice or if it's the batt's fault?

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
Hi guys,
I have a BLU e-cig (yes, this is before I found this forum and knew any better, grrr!) and lately, like the past week or so, everytime I try to charge the batts, they turn from red to blue within 1/2 an hour! The same thing happens whether I try charging it in the USB charger, the PCC, or the wall charger! Don't quote me on that, but it's been around 1/2 an hour, maybe at the most 45 mins.
The other thing I've been wondering is, how do you tell if it's the batt that's low or the cart that needs replacing? It just seems like whatever I try lately, it's gotten much harder to drag, not producing much vapor and very weak taste... How can I tell if the cart is low on juice or if it's the batt's fault?

If the drag is harder, you probably over-used it.. Take the atty out and blow into it to get rid of the old stuff.. Then put some drops on it and with the atty connected to the battery, turn it on afew times to burn off some of the juice build up (I burn it 5-10 times), then do more juice and vape.. Takes me 2 hours to charge a 510 battery... As far as taste, use polyfill and make a new cart...

I was using 510's for months, but bought a Janty Stick recently and switching over to one of those has been the best thing I've done.. Not only the battery lasts. the USB cable can be plugged into the USB, the car, and also a regular outlet with the required connector... I'm telling ya', I wished I bought this to begin with...

oldtechno

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2009
United States of America
Just my opinion;.......if it's your battery it will die completly in a few minutes. If it's the cartridge--it just goes on and on with less and less vapor and lost of bad smell and bad taste.

As far as 'harder to drag', well, it might be several things, including the air holes in the atomizer plugging up. If you are using the same cartridge--the air holes in the cartridge's sides could be plugged.

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
i am also a new member here, and interested in e-cigaretter, so have a look. Wish everyone healthy all you life!

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the forum!!! Glad you are here with us :)

You'll find all the info you need to get into the e-ciggies and vaping, but before you chose the device you buy, the first thing you definately need to know is "Never buy one at a mall or a store" those are usually lousy...

Take your time looking around this forum, particularly the newbie section and watch the videos by everyone who does them, they help alot... You can find them at the bottom of the page you land on.. Scroll down and you'll see a search box on top of the numbers.. Just search for "videos" and there are alot on YouTube..

Any question or comment, go for it.. Oh and the Social Groups are a kick..

This is the best forum I've been in since being online in the early 90's religiously.. That must say something about all these great people :thumb:

:D :D :D :D Welcome again and have fun!!! :D :D :D :D

kc0cmp

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
Harlingen TX. USA
i used to race R/C cars in 1/8 and 1/10 scale onroad indoors and outdoors about 3 years ago for close to 6 years on an amateur level.

I used 1.2v 3000 to 3600 Li-Ion mah batteries in 4 and 6 packs. batteries were charged to peak before use and then quick charged just before practice or a race. good batteries were always consistent.

the cars gearing was tuned for maximum performance for a 5 minute race. i tuned and fine tuned gearing so that the batteries would last 5 minutes and 20 seconds... give or take 10 seconds. granted each battery cell was matched...thats a different story.

if you want to know more...ask away :)
1.2v wouldn't be lithium batteries, it'd be NiMH (nickel cadmium) Lithium Ion chemistry supports 3.0v-3.6v-3.7v, 1.2v is the golden standard for NiMH lol

lauraeleven

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Florida, USA
Oh, never mind...found it myself here-http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cig-technical-issues/31787-ecf-troubleshooting-guide-revision-2-a.html

Thanks to Jim Davis. :thumb:

Can someone direct me to where I can find out how to test a 510 battery with a multimeter?? or is it classified info? :)

I noticed some of the china sellers have a 6 month or year guarantee on most of the e cig parts. Batteries and Atomizers, I thought those batteries should last longer than a month or they wouldn't offer the guarantee. Hope mine last till I get more cause I'm vaping a lot! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread