Life expectancy on IMR 18650 3.7v 2000mAh battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRyan

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2012
So. Cal
No battery expert, but most of the stuff I have read says they take about 400 cycles. Roughly a year +/- depending on your style... Mine are 3 months old and show no signs of wear. A good charger is key to success with IMR batteries, I use a xtar WP2 II and it charges them to 4.18 just below the full capacity threshold that will in theory lengthen the life of the cells.

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
No battery expert, but most of the stuff I have read says they take about 400 cycles. Roughly a year +/- depending on your style... Mine are 3 months old and show no signs of wear. A good charger is key to success with IMR batteries, I use a Xtar WP2 II and it charges them to 4.18 just below the full capacity threshold that will in theory lengthen the life of the cells.

I use a Pila charger... I just noticed that after 3 months or so that they dont have as much holding capacity as when new... Thats when I replace them....

TheRyan

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2012
So. Cal
The tenergy will do just fine, just make sure to pull them off the charger when the light goes green. Don't charge overnight as the tenergy will trickle charge the cell; meaning there is a possibility of overcharge. Overcharging a IMR battery will reduce the cells lifespan and severely overcharging it can cause it to vent. This is why a Pila or Xtar charger is nice because when the battery is full they do not trickle charge the cells so there is little chance at overcharging the cells.

Tom950

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2010
Bergen County, NJ
The tenergy will do just fine, just make sure to pull them off the charger when the light goes green. Don't charge overnight as the tenergy will trickle charge the cell; meaning there is a possibility of overcharge. Overcharging a IMR battery will reduce the cells lifespan and severely overcharging it can cause it to vent. This is why a Pila or Xtar charger is nice because when the battery is full they do not trickle charge the cells so there is little chance at overcharging the cells.

Are you sure about the Tenergy?

"Indicator lights alert you when the battery is charging or fully charged and it will auto-shutoff after charging is complete, so the batteries will not over-charge."

TheBlueAdept

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
Northern California
I suspect that the tenergy charger, like many 'smart' chargers, poll the battery at intervals, and decide whether or not to supply current based on what the battery is reading at that time. Once it detects the battery is charged, it stops. However, there is slight leakage over time, and it will eventually trigger again. I doubt that would happen overnight though, unless your cell is bad/old. Perhaps that is the concern?

tobarger

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2010
NorthCoastOhio
#1: Don't Use A Cheap Charger.
The Pila has been thoroughly proven to be the best cradle charger for Li-Ion batteries, can't beat it with a stick. I did much research on the CandlePower forum before I bought mine.
ProVape sells them for $45.00, seems like a fair price, I payed much more over a year ago.
Mine charges to 4.15v and then stops charging with NO trickle (very important).
Just buy the Pila and forget about any charging issues.
Its just the right thing to do.
You'll thank me in the morning.

Last edited:

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
Is Tenergy a cheap charger?

Tenergy is an ok charger. I wouldnt worry at all using it and also your batt will probably stay good for a year at which point it will not hold as much of a charge as it does now that it is new.

I would replace all my batts once a year if I were you. They dont cost much. So dont worry about it. Use them as long as they perform. I have used a tr001 trustfire charger for 3 years and I still have some IMR 18650's that are almost 2 years old now and still going..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread