The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Lightsaber?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by milo hobo, May 13, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. JPoodles

JPoodles Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    West Boylston, MA
    A pen style flashlight mod would probably do the trick. It would be tiny but wouldn't weigh alot. You could fashion a small tube for the inhale inside a transparent frosted outer tube that was lit from below. The led would have to be brightened by a reflective dish under it. It would probably need a side fill tank. I'm sure the batt would have to be beefy and it wouldn't be an all day PV for sure. Once the atty was shot it would mean a total rebuild unless it was built to easily disassemble. A few headaches and lots of free time could actualize this. Niether of which I can afford. Cop's picture looks promising though.

2. GutsRage

GutsRage Full Member Verified Member

Apr 11, 2009
    NJ
  3. muriarte

muriarte Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

4. I think with this:

ThinkGeek :: Lightsaber Handle Flashlights

and a bit of spare time it could be done... diamond tip drill bit would bore through just about anything... and realistically speaking if it can be dis-assembled, it could be modified to hold an already made mod, or eGo... Perhaps get the new 18650 sized ego cone head, and place that low enough, along with an extension piece that would align with the button on the saber in order to make it fit and work without exposing the natural button of the device.. I don't think it would be too difficult, now as far as adding functionality for the led's.... that is a different story, one that I am not exactly the goto guy for, but I'm sure a screw cap switch would work for that =)

5. jazz27

jazz27 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 9, 2012
    church rock NM
    Here you go. Lightsaber E-Cig 1.jpg Lightsaber E-Cig 2.jpg Lightsaber E-Cig 3.jpg Lightsaber E-Cig 4.jpg

6. rybe wan kenobi

rybe wan kenobi Full Member Verified Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    Gahhhh...I need one in my life.

7. Mr.Bungle

Mr.Bungle Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    Somerset, NJ
    I have been on the lookout for ways to get this done since I decided to purchase my Vamo. I'm juggling the options of cosmetically modding it (no lights or sounds), or going for the full modded monty (and try to figure out how to get the whole light and sound package working). I need to have a lightsaber hanging off my belt when I am out and about!

8. StarsOfKaoz

StarsOfKaoz Full Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Wormtown
    I think that jwraps has a skin for the vamo modeled after a lightsaber, I realize most of you are looking for a more realistic mod but for like ten bucks its much less expensive.

9. jazz27

Dec 9, 2012
    church rock NM
  10. jazz27

Dec 9, 2012
    church rock NM
    Lightsaber E-Cig 1.jpg i want in.

11. STU1690

STU1690 Full Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Bonnie Scotland
    Here is my effort

[​IMG]

12. The Goldfish

The Goldfish Full Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Tucson
    Stu that is just absolutely righteous. Looks like I need to go track me down some parts and give it a go!

13. Balders

Balders Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2012
    uk
    Hopefully I'll have finished my Anakin one soon.
    Boring out the .45 scale one to take a 1100mah Ego battery

Construction of the Anakin one:
    1/ Remove plastic bits from the handle - they're glued and have pins that locate into the handle.
    2/ There's a round "bit" on the handle. Pry the dome off this, it's glued. Remove screw and other plastic bit
    3/ Remove sabre end - chrome ring. Remove "sight" by undoing the small screw now visible.
    4/ Pry off domes from the 2 "switches" and remove 2 screws and 2 plastic mounts

On the knurled section
    5/ Remove the circuit board design on the rectangular bit, pry off gold lump on side of this. The gold bit holds the black plastic in the rectangular bit
    6/ Pry out this black plastic
    7/ Remove 2 screws

Now it gets interesting....

The knurled section is actually 3 parts!
    The main body of the LS is 2 parts(chromed brass) held by a pin

8/ Get the body into a lathe
    9/ Drill out black plastic bit that was exposed in step 3
    10/ Bore out body 12mm ish - this is to separate it!
    11/ Pick up bit from lathe as the knurled bits have a smaller ID (set these aside)
    12/ Bore hilt end to battery size. Now bore laser end from the hilt end, stop before the visible chrome!
    13/ Now bore out the 3 rings

Assembly... I'm intending running a sleeve in mine - old stainless battery tube. Then inserting the EGo "gubbins" with the EGO button positioned where one of the LS's buttons was.
    I'll have t make an "extender" for anything else apart from a carto

I will post photos of the machining when finished

What the guy in the video has done (from what I can tell) is:
    Cut the .45 behind the "muzzle", slot this length ways
    Remove the ally rectangle (as above)
    Slot the 3 knurled bits and remove
    Remove handle plastic bits.
    Throw away what's left of the orig LS
    Glue parts onto a stainless EGO.

14. Cop.. did you ever make it? And STU that is AMAZING!!!!!

15. kaddigart

kaddigart Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 8, 2013
    Insomniville
    Any interested in making their own should check out thecustomsabershop.com. It has a forum akin to this one, but for DIY lightsabers. They sell parts for flashlights, modular hilt systems, and also custom machining services.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.