Liquid causing wick to turn black?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggyroomz

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2014
Indiana
Ok so I recently switched my vendor for my DIY juice supplies and now my mixes turn my wick black in as little as 2 days, what would cause such a phenomenon to occur? I am using Nicotine river smooth salts and their VG, whereas before I was using Duda Diesel VG and Nicotine Giant for my salts. I use 6mg at roughly 30 watts. I never had a problem like this before so I am truly stumped. Any thoughts on what it might be?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Something is carbonizing on your wick and washing into your remaining juice I suspect. Strange phenomena.
I don’t know what is causing it but VG is usually just VG, no matter where it comes from. The stuff is so cheap in pure form it’s generally not cut with anything. That leaves the nic, assuming there wasn’t also a flavor change.
The thing about salts is their content is more or less unknown.
What is the flavoring? Is it part of the nic base?

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The same happens to me with a Themis RTA. Three or four times, with either commercial or home made eliquid. I'll try to get some pictures. Maybe bronze would be to blame? Are we sure this is 100% SS? No, my juice is regular colored, and I've done this with both rayon and cotton bacon. I'll play a little more with it.

Foggyroomz

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2014
Indiana
I'm going to make a juice without the salts to see if it is the nicotine that is doing it because I have been mixing my own liquids for almost 4 years now and have used the same flavor companies since day one and alternate my mixes through the same 8 recipes all the time. All my mixes are color free so I am assuming it has something to do with the different nicotine. I appreciate the feedback and will keep everyone posted with my research findings.

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
I had this problem with SS coils and nic salts. I found a solution but it was annoying, you have to know what acid is used in the salts find its boiling point and TC under that point. I didn't seem to have problems with the benzoate salts but it has the highest boiling point of 250C. Not sure if it happens with kanthal, but im back on freebase now.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I had a similar experience with nic salts and a butterscotch flavour. It didn't happen wth a freebase mix I had going with the same mg at the same time .
It was a ss coil about 2 days in.
I havnt had the same thing happen with unflavored nic salt mixes and i havnt tried to replicate the mix or result again but maybe I should.

• Agree
Reactions: HigherStateD

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I vape salts on SS, and use TC. I haven't noticed any blackening of the coil that I couldn't directly atribute to an, ahem, learning experience with regards to rebuilding, and I don't use much flavors at all, but I will keep an eye out, and am willing to try and replicate results as needed. I'm wondering where you're sourcing the salts from. I've had nic river, LNW, and I have yet to crack my tester of nude. My nic river salts were gone during my, ahem, learning process, though. Sorry bout that. They were the hit variety anyway.

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
I have tried quite a few, LNW, delosi and wizard labs. Also, nicotine malate. It didn't happen with the LNW or delosi but interestingly LNW uses benzoic acid and delosi uses a mix but the main acid is levullinic which has the high boiling point of 250C. Same as benzoic. Wizard labs uses tartaric acid only. And the nicotine malate I had uses malic. Both of them have boiling points around 200C and they are the ones I had problems with. This was unflavored as well. Anyway, the best by far is the LNW but I'm allergic to benzoic acid....

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
I have tried quite a few, LNW, delosi and wizard labs. Also, nicotine malate. It didn't happen with the LNW or delosi but interestingly LNW uses benzoic acid and delosi uses a mix but the main acid is levullinic which has the high boiling point of 250C. Same as benzoic. Wizard labs uses tartaric acid only. And the nicotine malate I had uses malic. Both of them have boiling points around 200C and they are the ones I had problems with. This was unflavored as well. Anyway, the best by far is the LNW but I'm allergic to benzoic acid....
That is quite interesting. I assume that those are for the smooth salts? Also, how did you get that info? Every time I've asked any of the suppliers, I got crickets. I just assumed it was a trade secret sort of tact.

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
That is quite interesting. I assume that those are for the smooth salts? Also, how did you get that info? Every time I've asked any of the suppliers, I got crickets. I just assumed it was a trade secret sort of tact.

Yep I just pestered them with emails telling them I needed to know because I was allergic to some of the acids (this may become a legal issue for them at some stage, they are food grade ingredients).
I know what's in LNW because I know who supplies their nicotine (more emails lol) Wizard labs have in their SDS or whatever. I pestered delosi for a few days haha but they would only give up the main acid but they don't use benzoic acid either.

Last edited:

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Yep I just pestered them with emails telling them I needed to know because I was allergic to some of the acids (this will probably become a legal issue for them at some stage, they are food grade ingredients). I know what's in LNW because I know who supplies their nicotine (more emails lol) Wizard labs have in their SDS or whatever. I pestered delosi for a few days haha but they would only give up the main acid but they don't use benzoic acid either.

Yeah, I was going to get around to trying that approach, but figured whatever it was it was better than my rollies. I'm trying to taper anyway, but getting to 0.0 is going to be a big hurdle.

I was under the impression juul had a patent on benzoic though. I guess some of the companies might buy some for blending?

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia

Liquid barn CNT nicotine salts contain malic, benzoic and salicylic acids.

Wizard labs nicotine salts use only tartaric acid according to their SDS. I know that nicotine ditartrate is one of the safest nicotine salts that can be used. It is used in smoking cessation products and is found in academic nicotine studies.

Delosi labs use a mixture, which *does not* contain benzoic or citric acids but does contain levullinic acid.

LNW salts use at least benzoic acid

Nicvape use benzoic acid only (as advertised)

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah, I was going to get around to trying that approach, but figured whatever it was it was better than my rollies. I'm trying to taper anyway, but getting to 0.0 is going to be a big hurdle.

I was under the impression juul had a patent on benzoic though. I guess some of the companies might buy some for blending?

Yea there is nothing wrong with them just allergies etc. Don't be in a rush to give up, just stay vaping till you don't need to smoke.

The juul patent is for the total apparatus not basic science.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Yea there is nothing wrong with them just allergies etc. Don't be in a rush to give up, just stay vaping till you don't need to smoke.

The juul patent is for the total apparatus not basic science.
I don't seeyself quitting vaping anytime soon, and I am at 3mg now. I dropped from 6 about a month ago, and three days later, my body adjusted and told me I was taking in to much. I plan on cutting my dose in thirds going forward, until I run out. I have a bunch of 3mg, in about 20 flavors right now though, and I've been too lazy to cut them all down...

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
All good, the only problem I have with the salts is that best ones for me anyway, the most satisfying are the benzoic acid and the luvullinic ones but I'm allergic to them. I have asthma so that doesn't help.
All the things that kill me, make me feel alive.

• Agree
Reactions: newyork13

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread