The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Liquid causing wick to turn black?

Discussion in 'General E-Liquid Discussion' started by Foggyroomz, Jul 1, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Foggyroomz

Foggyroomz Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 14, 2014
    Indiana
    Ok so I recently switched my vendor for my DIY juice supplies and now my mixes turn my wick black in as little as 2 days, what would cause such a phenomenon to occur? I am using Nicotine river smooth salts and their VG, whereas before I was using Duda Diesel VG and Nicotine Giant for my salts. I use 6mg at roughly 30 watts. I never had a problem like this before so I am truly stumped. Any thoughts on what it might be?

2. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Something is carbonizing on your wick and washing into your remaining juice I suspect. Strange phenomena.
    I don’t know what is causing it but VG is usually just VG, no matter where it comes from. The stuff is so cheap in pure form it’s generally not cut with anything. That leaves the nic, assuming there wasn’t also a flavor change.
    The thing about salts is their content is more or less unknown.
    What is the flavoring? Is it part of the nic base?

3. Susaz

Susaz Vaping Master ECF Veteran

The same happens to me with a Themis RTA. Three or four times, with either commercial or home made eliquid. I'll try to get some pictures. Maybe bronze would be to blame? Are we sure this is 100% SS? No, my juice is regular colored, and I've done this with both rayon and cotton bacon. I'll play a little more with it.

4. catilley1092

catilley1092 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Nov 3, 2013
    North Carolina, USA
    Dark e-juices can & will do this & more so versus clear ones.

However, as a test, you can swap back to your other supplier to determine if that source is the issue. Or if you have any leftovers, can try that, however many uses the old before the new.

Good Luck!:)

Cat

5. Foggyroomz

Foggyroomz Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 14, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm going to make a juice without the salts to see if it is the nicotine that is doing it because I have been mixing my own liquids for almost 4 years now and have used the same flavor companies since day one and alternate my mixes through the same 8 recipes all the time. All my mixes are color free so I am assuming it has something to do with the different nicotine. I appreciate the feedback and will keep everyone posted with my research findings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Vapntime

Vapntime Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 22, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    I had this problem with SS coils and nic salts. I found a solution but it was annoying, you have to know what acid is used in the salts find its boiling point and TC under that point. I didn't seem to have problems with the benzoate salts but it has the highest boiling point of 250C. Not sure if it happens with kanthal, but im back on freebase now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Jebbn

Jebbn Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2018
    Quarantine
    I had a similar experience with nic salts and a butterscotch flavour. It didn't happen wth a freebase mix I had going with the same mg at the same time .
    It was a ss coil about 2 days in.
    I havnt had the same thing happen with unflavored nic salt mixes and i havnt tried to replicate the mix or result again but maybe I should.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. HigherStateD

HigherStateD Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2019
    I vape salts on SS, and use TC. I haven't noticed any blackening of the coil that I couldn't directly atribute to an, ahem, learning experience with regards to rebuilding, and I don't use much flavors at all, but I will keep an eye out, and am willing to try and replicate results as needed. I'm wondering where you're sourcing the salts from. I've had nic river, LNW, and I have yet to crack my tester of nude. My nic river salts were gone during my, ahem, learning process, though. Sorry bout that. They were the hit variety anyway.

9. Vapntime

Aug 22, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have tried quite a few, LNW, delosi and wizard labs. Also, nicotine malate. It didn't happen with the LNW or delosi but interestingly LNW uses benzoic acid and delosi uses a mix but the main acid is levullinic which has the high boiling point of 250C. Same as benzoic. Wizard labs uses tartaric acid only. And the nicotine malate I had uses malic. Both of them have boiling points around 200C and they are the ones I had problems with. This was unflavored as well. Anyway, the best by far is the LNW but I'm allergic to benzoic acid....

10. HigherStateD

Mar 11, 2019
    That is quite interesting. I assume that those are for the smooth salts? Also, how did you get that info? Every time I've asked any of the suppliers, I got crickets. I just assumed it was a trade secret sort of tact.

11. Vapntime

Aug 22, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yep I just pestered them with emails telling them I needed to know because I was allergic to some of the acids (this may become a legal issue for them at some stage, they are food grade ingredients).
    I know what's in LNW because I know who supplies their nicotine (more emails lol) Wizard labs have in their SDS or whatever. I pestered delosi for a few days haha but they would only give up the main acid but they don't use benzoic acid either.

12. HigherStateD

Mar 11, 2019
    Yeah, I was going to get around to trying that approach, but figured whatever it was it was better than my rollies. I'm trying to taper anyway, but getting to 0.0 is going to be a big hurdle.

I was under the impression juul had a patent on benzoic though. I guess some of the companies might buy some for blending?

13. Vapntime

Aug 22, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia

Liquid barn CNT nicotine salts contain malic, benzoic and salicylic acids.

Wizard labs nicotine salts use only tartaric acid according to their SDS. I know that nicotine ditartrate is one of the safest nicotine salts that can be used. It is used in smoking cessation products and is found in academic nicotine studies.

Delosi labs use a mixture, which *does not* contain benzoic or citric acids but does contain levullinic acid.

LNW salts use at least benzoic acid

Nicvape use benzoic acid only (as advertised)

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. HigherStateD

Mar 11, 2019
    Wow, can I buy you a drink or something?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Vapntime

Aug 22, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yea there is nothing wrong with them just allergies etc. Don't be in a rush to give up, just stay vaping till you don't need to smoke.

The juul patent is for the total apparatus not basic science.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. HigherStateD

Mar 11, 2019
    I don't seeyself quitting vaping anytime soon, and I am at 3mg now. I dropped from 6 about a month ago, and three days later, my body adjusted and told me I was taking in to much. I plan on cutting my dose in thirds going forward, until I run out. I have a bunch of 3mg, in about 20 flavors right now though, and I've been too lazy to cut them all down...

• Like Like x 2
  17. Vapntime

Aug 22, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    All good, the only problem I have with the salts is that best ones for me anyway, the most satisfying are the benzoic acid and the luvullinic ones but I'm allergic to them. I have asthma so that doesn't help.

18. HigherStateD

Mar 11, 2019
    All the things that kill me, make me feel alive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. HigherStateD

Mar 11, 2019
    Hmmm .. I wonder if any of them have tried acetylsalicylic acid, not that I'm a chemist, or even play one on TV...

20. Vapntime

Aug 22, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yea chemnovatic have a nic salt using salicylic acid its not on the market yet though

NicSalt - Nicotine Salts | Salt based nicotine - CHEMNOVATIC

Its looks good but a lot of people are allergic to aspirin as well can't win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.